U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 01:08 PM

8,767 posts, read 10,857,014 times

Advertisements

A one-time, final move from So. Cal to Eastern Idaho -- is extreme, to say the least. Have you ever lived where its cold 8-months out of the year? Is there something about Idaho (grandkids, family ?) that draws you there? (It sounds like you are wide open to various areas).

A long-distance retirement move will be significantly unsettling in other areas than weather. Do you have friends there and know your way around -- or will you simply be moving there cold turkey and starting over?

We've been retired 9-years now -- moving once (5-years ago) to get nearer the grandkids. My advice is to test-out your expectations by renting there for 3-6 months first. This is particularly true in light of your view that you "have one chance to get it right and want no regrets."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 10:50 PM

466 posts, read 291,202 times
Boise has a much more moderate climate, and better access to health care. I personally hate snow and ice, so, given your choices, that is the local I would choose. Great fishing there, as well as the other places. Hot Springs! Moose and Elk! My daughter lives there and is trying to get me to move there when I retire, but all in all I still think the winters are not what I want to deal with, but still way milder than the other places you mentioned. I would not even consider the other places due to the winters. Did I mention I hate ice and snow and cold winters? BTW, I grew up in ice and snow and winter so I know whereof I speak

Old 02-12-2017, 03:28 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
I was born and raised in the SF Bay Area, and moved out of high school to WA. It took me 18 years to get out of the snow, and I hope to never see another flake in my life. Except as part of the scenery far away on a mountain.

If you can take the summer heat, Redding might work really well for you guys, and you could keep your CA medical benefits.

The river runs right through downtown. Great medical facilities, good entertainment, great shopping, clean air.

I moved to Redding to retire because it's cheaper, but I couldn't take the long, hot summers. I would have stayed, otherwise.

The one winter I was there, it snowed around Thanksgiving and the snow stayed on the ground for about a week. Just a few inches. Otherwise, it's just brisk, but usually sunny. Winters are great in Redding.

Maybe you could buy a cheap place on the north coast around Crescent City to escape to for the summer. There's good fishing here, too.

Real estate is cheap in both towns.

FWIW

http://www.visitredding.com/fishing

Smith River Fish Report - Smith River, CA (Del Norte County)

I know why they call it the "Wild Rivers Coast" - Rogue River Fishing Guides and Trips - Salmon and Steelhead - Southern Oregon Fishing Report

Tally Ho Sportfishing in Crescent City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or