U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 08:16 AM
mlb

3,181 posts, read 2,856,933 times

Advertisements

My parents bought their first house 3 months after I was born (I was kid #4). Galley kitchen. No vent for stove. Sink at window to porch.

Mom was famous for her bacon fires.... Thankfully, the new fire station was being built down the street.

Fast forward 63 years..... my oldest sister now owns that house. The kitchen underwent a remodel 30 years ago connecting the kitchen and porch - turning the porch into a dining room/liveable space.

The house is still heated by fuel oil (oy).... and has no central air. This is in the midwest.

The windows all had to be scraped and repainted - because of lead paint. I recall as a toddler putting my mouth on those window sills....

The only way this house makes it into the future is a total gut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 08:42 AM

3,531 posts, read 1,776,416 times
I love the 1920s style

Old 02-11-2017, 10:22 AM

1,959 posts, read 1,208,648 times
I just remember the avocado green stove. I must have blocked the rest of the kitchen out.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:31 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,119,429 times
I had avocado green appliances. My neighbor had Harvest Gold. I had green shag carpet, she had gold shag carpet. Both built by the same contractor. All this in the 1970's. I love gas stoves to cook with but never had but one, in our first rental home.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:36 PM

990 posts, read 1,525,585 times
The kitchen I remember best was one that was updated and remodeled around 1950, 10 years before my parents bought the house.
It had white metal cabinets and gray formica counters. There was a bread storage drawer with a sliding lid in one cabinet, and we had a lazy susan in the corner cabinet.
The range was a circa 1950 Roper with unusually spaced burners. You could stick a pot or plate in among the burners and keep it warm while the rest of dinner was cooking all around it. Mom had to get it repaired once around 1970, but it kept working till a panel on the bottom rusted out and she got rid of it in the 90's. I remember one of the oven doors had instructions on it about how long to broil fruit.
There was also a toploading dishwasher. It didn't work when my parents bought the house. Dad tried to fix it but couldn't get it to work right, so mom stored the kitchenware she rarely used in it.
The wallpaper up on the bulkhead above the cabinets was a yellow brick design with ivy. I saw the same paper in one of the houses at the Strawberry Banke museum in Portsmouth NH.
The vinyl floor tile was that nondescript sort of speckled streaky stuff in shades of white and gray, I think.
We used to have one of those chrome dinette sets. Our tabletop was a kind of gray marble pattern, the vinyl seats were yellow.
When I was a kid we had a Crosley refrigerator. Around 1965 my parents bought a big coppertone refrigerator. I don't remember how long it lasted, it was still in use in the mid 90's.

When I got married in 1974, our apartment had a kitchen with the same wallpaper that was in the kitchen in the Bob Newhart show. Our first house was built in the early 60's and had a coppertone cooktop and double wall oven. Our next house had a harvest gold range. I thought the coppertone was much prettier.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:50 PM

10,355 posts, read 9,382,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What's changed? I still use a 1953 Sears Washing machine, a Proctor Silex 1950's Ice Cream maker, and a 1928 waffle Iron that makes a LARGE waffle in 22 sec! (1 cord for each side = FAST heat). And of course my Bosch universal mixer that I have use everyday since the 1970's. (bought it used from a commercial baker).

Appliance repair? Seldom needed, but I will repair rather than replace with a 'throw-away' appliance from the 1980's.

I just wish I had the stuff from grandma's kitchen... (40" range with oven and roaster, Kerosene range-top oven for the crispy golden butter rolls, Hand water pump to the cistern below). I couldn't count the number of canned goods we put up every summer (hot bath and pressure cooking).

We still have a 'canning kitchen' (downstairs where it is cool) also a 'roll-out' range (on casters to use outside). I built a 'flip-up' rolling cabinet with extra counter and storage for all our canning supplies. Also use a food dryer built from a 4-H kit in the 1950's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Same deal here. I have a 1953 gas Wedgwood stove/oven with constant pilot lights (great for "raising" bread and rolls), an enamel-topped table with pop-up wings, a Hoosier cabinet with a matching pantry cabinet, and a 1940's glass-front utility cabinet. Oh and a red Cosco pull-out step stool so I can reach the uppr cabinets. I did have a 1926 electric waffle iron, but I gave it to someone; however, I do have my old, heavy stand mixer with its' original bowls. And I use my Mom's Stieff Rose sterling silver wedding set every day - I even have her original order form from the Baltimore silversmiths.
Ah, remember well when appliances were made to last and last, certainly not the case with modern manufacturing.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:34 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times
I grew up with a huge tiled kitchen, cream with maroon, double electric stove, no cabinetry, big pantry with open shelving and a double sink on four legs. The memories are nice but so isn't 2017.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:02 PM

39,547 posts, read 47,744,756 times
This was our kitchen when
I was a youngster....

Then as a teenager we moved into
the big city and this was our new
home kitchen...

Old 02-11-2017, 05:24 PM

19,920 posts, read 14,238,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Does anyone want to share memories of the kitchen you grew up in? Or, better yet, Grandma's kitchen?
This is exactly how I remember the kitchens for my great-grandmothers, except one had a Ben Franklin Stove to cook on instead of a regular stove.

Hoosier Cabinets were everything. My father still has his grand-mother's Hoosier Cabinet.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:08 PM

588 posts, read 344,870 times
I am wearing those same shoes NOW! Clarks so in fashion!

My parents bought a two up and two down with a basement that ended up being rife with asbestos. The plumbing was wrapped in asbestos that winded its way though out the basement where we kids would go to play. Had a YUGE boiler heater in the basement that we kids had to stoke with water or it would have blew. Kept the basement warm in the winter.

The bedroom to the back of the house still had the plumbing for a second kitchen, and there was plumbing in the basement for a shower. Obviously it was a two apartment set up where the downstairs neighbors had to keep their door shut since to enter to the second floor above one had to go through the side door and up the stairs. These stairs were more like ladders they were so steep!

The kitchen was a true galley kitchen, walled off from the "dining room" which most likely was the bedroom at one time given the house up the street that had the same and was used as a bedroom.

My mother and father decided they wanted (I am sure it was my mom) out of the little galley so they took mallets and broke through the wall and opened it up.

I like to say I had the first "great room" in America!

As far as appliances, I recall a cake mixer. Everything else was done by hand.

Stove is still there, working 60 years, just a regular gas stove. Formica, yes, and thank you God if you can find me a rental that DOES NOT have granite anything.

I remember the cat at the time, we had many, loved what was in the refrigerator. One day we couldn't find her and went on the mission to find the missing, never could, then I opened up the fridge and she popped out. Cold as the devil but no worse for wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement