U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 11:37 PM

1,870 posts, read 3,441,024 times

Advertisements

Verizon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 11:39 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I completely agree, it is outrageous, but it is the bare minimum plan so they have you by the ankles.
Mintsim I pay $14/mo for phone & data, previously I used Cricket which was $30/mo. I'm not a heavy user though, never reached the data limit, most browsing is wifi with laptop/ipad.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:46 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,000,266 times
I have one now but will be getting rid of it very shortly, like by the end of this month.

I have replaced it with a Real GPS (Garmin), a TracFone for emergencies that cost me $30 and came with something like 800 minutes, and I will be getting an Oomo tomorrow - that is an internet phone service for which you buy the box to plug into your computer and then you only pay state and local phone taxes (which amount to about $5 a month where I live) for unlimited local and long distance. No international, I don't think. Pretty sure that's extra but I haven't made an international call in 40 years.

If power goes out, I will still have the TracFone. I wanted a "real" landline but they are stupidly expensive nowadays - something like $75 a month where I live. That is actually more than my current data phone.

I find "data phones" ridiculous and intrusive. I am sick and tired of people who insist on texting instead of calling and speaking to me. Solution: get a phone that doesn't have texting.

I am tired of Google tracking me when I use GoogleMaps for GPS - and routing me through nearby commercial districts when there is no reason for me to go that way.

And most annoying of all are the constant forced "upgrades", one of which destroyed my ability to root the phone altogether. There is so much bloatware on these things - I had to remove about 50 useless and potentially privacy/security-busting "apps" from mine, and there were several "services" left which I don't want and don't need that I could not get rid of except by rooting the phone. And these "upgrades" almost ALWAYS delete useful apps, and change my user interfaces in ways that I hate. That right there is particularly annoying - I have almost no control over my own UI.

Sound quality on modern "smart" phones is generally pretty bad. I think the younger generations simply don't really understand how bad as they have virtually never experienced a landline. I'm not sure that it will be any better on this TracFone - but I know the first couple of handsets I had (for cell phones) were a LOT better than anything I've used in the past 5 or 10 years. But then they were also a lot bigger and had more room for IMPORTANT things like reception.

"Smart" phones are just a dumb waste of time and resources. They are lousy computing devices, and they aren't much better as phones. The screen is way too small to be useful, especially as your eyes age. What I really want in a cell phone is the same one I had 20 years ago (it was a Nokia). It got great reception even way out in the middle of nowhere. But all you can get these days are the stupid (not smart) phones.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:56 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,000,266 times
Quote:
Verizon
I have Verizon and have had it before it was Verizon. I forget who it was they bought out like 15 years ago. But I've had this account for over 20 years. Maybe over 25 years by now.

My plan was costing me about $40 a month (not counting taxes) per individual phone on the account for nearly unlimited data. We never come close to the limit and there are 2 of us on the plan. My son (to whom I transferred the account about 7 years ago during what was then thought to be a long illness that turned into permanent disability) tells me that they are instituting a new plan that is now actually unlimited and costs less.

So even for Verizon - if that $125 is for just one phone you're getting screwed. If its for 3, then its in line.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:34 AM

8,386 posts, read 9,131,891 times
Quote:
I completely agree, it is outrageous, but it is the bare minimum plan so they have you by the ankles.
$125????
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
bare minimum plan offered by what provider?
??? We pay $90 a month for two lines/4gigs with Verizon.

Somebody needs to update their Verizon plan. Bare minimum plan is more like $55 for one line

Old 02-15-2017, 09:03 AM

This is the plan and it is for two;
MORE EVERY UNL TLK&TXT 2GB
Data=$40
Line access=$80
With tax=$127.10
I had recently switched it over from another plan and saved $10. I am on the V site now and it is telling me I can save $45 switching to the new Verizon Plan. It has a '*' though so I have to dig deeper.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 AM

Default 15 minutes on city-data could save you 15% or more on...

you next phone bill!!!!!!!!
Thanks to your responses, I changed over to the new plan.
New monthly=$81.54 for exact same service.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:08 AM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I have one now but will be getting rid of it very shortly, like by the end of this month.

I have replaced it with a Real GPS (Garmin), a TracFone for emergencies that cost me $30 and came with something like 800 minutes, and I will be getting an Oomo tomorrow - that is an internet phone service for which you buy the box to plug into your computer and then you only pay state and local phone taxes (which amount to about $5 a month where I live) for unlimited local and long distance. No international, I don't think. Pretty sure that's extra but I haven't made an international call in 40 years.

If power goes out, I will still have the TracFone. I wanted a "real" landline but they are stupidly expensive nowadays - something like $75 a month where I live. That is actually more than my current data phone.

I find "data phones" ridiculous and intrusive. I am sick and tired of people who insist on texting instead of calling and speaking to me. Solution: get a phone that doesn't have texting.

I am tired of Google tracking me when I use GoogleMaps for GPS - and routing me through nearby commercial districts when there is no reason for me to go that way.

And most annoying of all are the constant forced "upgrades", one of which destroyed my ability to root the phone altogether. There is so much bloatware on these things - I had to remove about 50 useless and potentially privacy/security-busting "apps" from mine, and there were several "services" left which I don't want and don't need that I could not get rid of except by rooting the phone. And these "upgrades" almost ALWAYS delete useful apps, and change my user interfaces in ways that I hate. That right there is particularly annoying - I have almost no control over my own UI.

Sound quality on modern "smart" phones is generally pretty bad. I think the younger generations simply don't really understand how bad as they have virtually never experienced a landline. I'm not sure that it will be any better on this TracFone - but I know the first couple of handsets I had (for cell phones) were a LOT better than anything I've used in the past 5 or 10 years. But then they were also a lot bigger and had more room for IMPORTANT things like reception.

"Smart" phones are just a dumb waste of time and resources. They are lousy computing devices, and they aren't much better as phones. The screen is way too small to be useful, especially as your eyes age. What I really want in a cell phone is the same one I had 20 years ago (it was a Nokia). It got great reception even way out in the middle of nowhere. But all you can get these days are the stupid (not smart) phones.

What a terrific post! You nailed it. Audio has definitely been sacrificed for all the other endless apps. I too had a Nokia a dozen years ago and it was wonderful. Like you said, even way out in the middle of nowhere. And actually KEPT its charge if you weren't using it. My last couple phones can't even get reception in the condos I've lived in. Now it makes sense why texting has usurped using one's voice. Terrible audio. No need for polite small talk either. At least our POS idiot-phone is only $15.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:05 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,126,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post

The reason for all that overhead on top of the OS is because smart phones are designed to be used by dummies. Plus, the raft of enterprises who've glommed onto "mobile world" all have to take their cut, hence, all the Big Brother BS embedded in there to track your consumer behavior and who knows what else. What's not to like?

Old 02-15-2017, 03:49 PM

8,386 posts, read 9,131,891 times
Quote:
This is the plan and it is for two;
MORE EVERY UNL TLK&TXT 2GB
Data=$40
Line access=$80
With tax=$127.10
I had recently switched it over from another plan and saved $10. I am on the V site now and it is telling me I can save $45 switching to the new Verizon Plan. It has a '*' though so I have to dig deeper.
Quote:
you next phone bill!!!!!!!!
Thanks to your responses, I changed over to the new plan.
New monthly=$81.54 for exact same service.
You are welcome! People should check their provider's website once or twice a year to check out price changes.Look into possible discounts. My bill before taxes and fees is $82.50 instead of $90, because I am a retired government employee. There are other discount plans. Give VZW a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement