U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM

7,308 posts, read 15,359,891 times

Advertisements

I (often we) travel a fair amount so we have 2 smartphones and a wifi hotspot (up to 5 devices connected). I don't trust hotel/airport/campground "open" wifi, plus the hotspot is almost always faster and more reliable and a lot of hotels charge $5-$25 a day.

I have messed about with Verizon a bit and find the smart thing to do is pay for a large amount of data for the months we travel the most in and then drop it down the months we don't. I know I can use my smart phone for limited tethering and I have done that to, say, download a Kindle book (my Kindle does not have cell service).

I am sure they will eventually get tired of me switching my plan around and start charging me for it, but they haven't yet.

When traveling we can use up to 20Gb a month, depending on what we are looking at or downloading. Around town we use under 2Gb.

Haven't found a cheaper way to do it yet, I am all ears if someone has.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 07:12 AM

12,532 posts, read 4,238,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i still have my flip phone . last thing i need is more on line time .

i actually call people when i want to tell them something .
Exactamundo

Old 02-17-2017, 04:14 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,574,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
No, we do not have a smartphone.
Neither of us text, probably because we're both touch typists and prefer to write in complete sentences. We use our desktop computer for everything because our fingers can fly on the keyboard. Also, as someone mentioned, smartphone screens are very difficult to read for some of us with bad eyes.
Well, that answers it for me. I have the old lady Jitterbug phone, flip phone, and use it when out and about as a phone or on vacation. I am very fluent with typing, and speed type and really enjoy it. I also have lousy eyesight and do not want to break my neck staring at a little screen or typing with thumbs, etc.

I can see a time when I'll have to use text because so many people are using it. Not for conversation, but for quick "I'm running late" or such.

I don't want to take pictures, never have. It distracts me from the present. I prefer to try and pay attention in the present.

I do think it would be nice to read CNN or something while waiting in line, etc., but not enough to upgrade. The eyesight thing is a real thing, too.

When I retire to Colorado, I'll only get a landline if people tell me that the mountains block the phone connection too much, and if so, I'll keep the flip phone for the car and have a landline and my laptop.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 PM

31,096 posts, read 13,614,329 times
I have a Galaxy s6 I could probably get by with a cheaper phone but I use it in my car. My Pioneer in dash video/ gps car receiver connects to my phone and get my text messages on the screen, can answer them by voice, use voice control to search for directions, etc. It's awesome.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:41 AM

6,226 posts, read 5,365,096 times
Still using a Galaxy S2. Honestly I could still get by using a flip phone but having the option of 3G data when out and about has been indispensable.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:26 PM

7,266 posts, read 4,150,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Still using a Galaxy S2. Honestly I could still get by using a flip phone but having the option of 3G data when out and about has been indispensable.

LTE is much faster than 3G. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:46 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,968,971 times
I was late getting a flip-phone and I just got a iPhone 5s last fall. LOL I fought it but as others have mentioned, it is really handy when traveling. I am texting daughter in Philly more as her mother would rather call. I also have enjoyed other features like tracking my stocks and reading while waiting at the doctor or mechanic. I also have an app for metronome and tuner which I use for my music. I have used the camera but am not into taking pics that much. I know some here will consider the 5s old but I got it cheap on Walmart.com and have their Smart Talk prepaid plan.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:25 PM

4,495 posts, read 2,884,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
My mother-in-law has a flip phone that is 20 years old. I actually didn't know they lasted that long. She told us she is not interested in a smart phone, but I can't help wondering if she knows what she is missing.

I suggested to my husband that we surprise her and add a line to our plan and get her a smart phone, so it would be free for her. Is this overstepping our bounds? She could just use it only as a phone like she has been, if she wants. But at least this way she would have the option of using smart phone apps.
Both my parents used flip phones for well over a decade. My dad finally took the leap from flip phone to smartphone with some Cricket plan where he pays $39 for the phone (ZTE model IIRC, forgot the brand MSRP $200), and is only on the hook for a 6 month contract. He's been enjoying it thus far. He's not that "techy", so there are still things like GPS, internet, and games he hasn't touched up on yet (dunno if he ever will though).

My mom OTOH... her flip phone is dying. She'd like to get a new battery for it. I told her it's an old model (15yo IIRC), that wasn't THAT popular (so it's hard to find), so even if we could find a new battery, the battery would cost as much, if not more, than a new flip phone. My dad's previous flip phone still worked, so he just handed that down to her.

In your case, make sure someone can teach your MiL how to get started, and the basics. And perhaps be around to answer questions. Ideally, in person.

Old 02-18-2017, 11:30 PM

4,495 posts, read 2,884,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
So none of you retirees have problems typing on that insane itsy-bitsy keyboard? No one has mentioned that. I LOVE typing on my full-size laptop but cannot, for the life of me, accomplish anything on that POS smartphone keyboard.

We turn the phone off when not using it. Yet, we go to get it later and it's DEAD. Every time. Husband took it to store today, tried to use it, "not connected to network"....SIGH. Just wanted to make a dang phone call. Nothing makes me feel as dumb as smartphones (except financial planning )

Maybe if we had any interest in social media, but we are not even on FB.

Give me back our crappy flip-phones....but at least we only pay $15/month for this worthless POS.

Rant over....
I wouldn't use Facebook via a phone. A lot of the usual things that you could easily do on a laptop, desktop, or Chromebook don't work on a phone browser. I hear you could get full function via the Facebook app, but I'd rather not install that. For one, it can eat 10% to 20% battery life on its own. It also helps I don't spend much time on Facebook... only once every few months, to a few times a month. Of which I can wait until I'm at a desktop computer.

As for phone keyboards, using a larger phone (not the 4" iPhones, but) something more in the lines of 4.5" to 5.5" should give you enough room to work with.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:17 AM

7,266 posts, read 4,150,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I wouldn't use Facebook via a phone. A lot of the usual things that you could easily do on a laptop, desktop, or Chromebook don't work on a phone browser. I hear you could get full function via the Facebook app, but I'd rather not install that. For one, it can eat 10% to 20% battery life on its own. It also helps I don't spend much time on Facebook... only once every few months, to a few times a month. Of which I can wait until I'm at a desktop computer.

As for phone keyboards, using a larger phone (not the 4" iPhones, but) something more in the lines of 4.5" to 5.5" should give you enough room to work with.

The Facebook app is great if you want to post a photo you just took with your smart phone. I also use the app when traveling, as I don't like using motel/hotel computers for anything that requires a password.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement