U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 09:16 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Excellent Info! If you do want to upgrade to a newer iPhone, go for a Verizon model! It has the most LTE bands. The AT&T and T-mobile models sometimes lack the CDMA radio components. But CDMA is slowly being phased out by Verizon. When 5G is standardized, CDMA will be DOA!
However if travel to other countries is part of your future plans do not get a Verizon phone since CDMA isn't used in most of the world - GSM is. Essentially that is AT&T & T Mobile here, of course you could always buy a GSM phone on eBay or Craigslist cheap before a trip as well & just buy a sim card in the new country.

The smart phone has value in that you can text info back & forth, particularly useful with younger family members just wanting to telegraph some specifics info, & use public wifi to video skype if traveling. I also use it to get train schedules, check email, & especially use the camera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 09:32 AM

8,399 posts, read 9,145,702 times
For starters my iPhone 6 works on all networks. I recently switched from ATT to Verizon and was told that my phone would make the switch with no problem and that was indeed the case. All iPhones (6 and newer) are that way.

About two years ago we visited our son who was stationed in Hawaii. I decided to do an experiment. No laptop. No camera, no flashlight. No reading material (I have three translations of the Bible on my phone). No GPS or maps, just my phone. It was a success. So now I travel lighter. Much lighter. My iPhone does it all and more.

On the five hour flight I watched movies and TV shows of MY choosing and read articles that I had downloaded. At my son's home I located a nearby pizza place thru the YP app and ordered one to go. I could go on, but I see no reason to not have a smartphone. We got rid of our landline years ago so the "extra" cost of our smart phones is negligible.

Last edited by Mr5150; 02-12-2017 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-12-2017, 10:17 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,271,674 times
Flip phone with text and camera, works for me. I have a laptop and internet svc at home so I don't need it
when I'm out and about.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:42 AM

4,082 posts, read 2,576,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon1 View Post
Do you have a smartphone?

Are they worth it when you are retired?
You have got to be kidding! I cannot imagine living without it. Granted you can text with a non-smart phone but an iPhone has free texting with its iMessage thing. My hearing is terrible so I text all the time. My wife will text me a shopping list when I go to the store so I have right there. We text each other about being home late, whatever. We sometimes take a photo of something cool one of us sees, and then will text it to the other.

And Google maps - who can live without that? I use it all the time.

When gardening we sometimes find odd plant diseases, we take a picture on the phone and then google what the problem is.

I keep an eye on the stock market with the phone's stock market app.

Somebody hit my car in the parking lot last year and I used the phone to take pix of the damage, of her car, and her drivers license.

We like to look at the stars and I downloaded an app that identifies stars, planets, and constellations. You just point the phone at the sky and it knows the orientation and draws a map of the stars and highlights the exact one you are pointing at. It is so cool. It was free, too.

We have Pandora for music on both our iPhones. You plug the phone into the car and can listen to Pandora while driving.

I use the web browser all the time to look stuff up, particularly when away from home. You can find better deals when you are in a store and considering buying something. Just google it and see if it is cheaper elsewhere.

I use the alarm clock feature to wake me up in the morning.

I use the calendar feature when I'm in the doc office and they make an appt for me - I just type it into my phone's calendar.

I use the email app all the time - particularly to find an email that I know has a phone number in it. iPhone is smart about phone numbers in an email and makes it so you just click on it and it automatically dials it for you.

I surf and I get real-time surf reports on my iPhone.

BTW - we do not have a home phone. We just use our cell phones. We are retired.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:43 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
I never, ever thought I'd want a Smartphone. But when my ancient flip phone died last year I succumbed. I bought a older model Smartphone so it didn't cost all that much.

Now you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands if you want me to give it up.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:42 AM

231 posts, read 170,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
We just moved up to Smart Phones....cheap, $149 each. Always said "I won't be one of those" pointing to a kid texting away....guess what.....I'm one of those.

Funny!

Old 02-12-2017, 11:46 AM

32 posts, read 17,657 times
Yes i have Iphone7

Old 02-12-2017, 12:31 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,882,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
$100 smart phone here, running Android 6

- camera
- map with GPS
- phone
- email
- text messaging
- alarm clock
- calculator
- pedometer
- video games
- idle reading
- hotel booking apps
- research on the fly (where is nearest pizza?)
etc. could go on and on

You don't need to spend $400, $500, $600 etc. so don't let cost be a barrier.

One thing that is priceless is setting up all my financial stuff banks accounts, investments, credit cards, etc. so I get a text with any activity. I go to the ATM a text pops up telling me someone withdrew $200 at whatever location. I charge something to credit card a text tells me. Even to log into my bank or investment accounts it sends a text with a code that I have to enter. All that makes it a lot harder to do anything with my money without me knowing immediately.
I'm not retired, but would like to chime in that I bought a used LG G4 for $220. Also running Android 6.0. It certainly feels like a $650 phone which was it's list price when it first came out last year

Old 02-12-2017, 01:19 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,468,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
For starters my iPhone 6 works on all networks. I recently switched from ATT to Verizon and was told that my phone would make the switch with no problem and that was indeed the case. All iPhones (6 and newer) are that way.
That I did not know. That gen 6 and later are cross-network. Thank you. Still, going to be quite awhile until I upgrade. The phone I have now cost . . . well, it cost as much as a mini-computer. I did not subsidize it through a contract but purchased it outright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
On the five hour flight I watched movies and TV shows of MY choosing and read articles that I had downloaded...
The iPhone screen is too small for my tired, old eyes. On trips, I take along an iPad onto which I uploaded rugby matches that I downloaded off of YouTube. Makes flights go so much quicker.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-12-2017, 01:27 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If you have to ask, probably not.

But I've been retired just over 5 years and my iPhone is indispensable, I can't imagine life without it. We travel extensively, now have two homes, and my iPhone is my anchor. During the process of moving into our new 2nd home, there have been extended periods that I was in one house and dh in the other, hundreds of miles apart. Facebook and texting have kept us connected, organized, and sane.
My iPhone is my camera, journal, address/phone book, calendar, timer, alarm clock, weather reporter, news reporter, compass, email, map, picture album, recipe book, ebook reader, audiobook player, music player, shopping list, memo keeper, daily reminder, access to daily spiritual reading, fitness record, medical and prescription records holder, internet access, home thermostat control, TV remote control, emergency alert system, method of reporting and tracking power outages, coupon and rewards holder, bill payer, banking tool, receipts holder, calculator, tracker of UPS and FedEx deliveries, .... and so much more. So yeah, it's worth it.
Bada Bing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement