U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:02 AM

6,851 posts, read 7,797,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Have an iPhone 5 and will probably not upgrade.
You should probably upgrade every 2- 3 years if you want to optimize your phone's utility. Software and apps are always upgrading and some won't work (or work well) on older phones. Basically, your phone's response will become increasingly sluggish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 08:12 AM

3,850 posts, read 9,438,969 times
My husband and I both have iPhones - he has the 5S and I have the 6. No plans to upgrade as long as these are still working fine. We pay about $95 a month for both plans with unlimited talk/text and plenty of data for our needs. We love getting texts and videos of the grandkids but we also use it for many other things including GPS, mobile banking, and a plethora of apps that make life easier. Before I got mine, I didn't think I would need it, but now I can't imagine living without one! Tracfone is a good way to get in on a low cost device and plan to get started.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 AM

3,431 posts, read 1,527,565 times
So none of you retirees have problems typing on that insane itsy-bitsy keyboard? No one has mentioned that. I LOVE typing on my full-size laptop but cannot, for the life of me, accomplish anything on that POS smartphone keyboard.

We turn the phone off when not using it. Yet, we go to get it later and it's DEAD. Every time. Husband took it to store today, tried to use it, "not connected to network"....SIGH. Just wanted to make a dang phone call. Nothing makes me feel as dumb as smartphones (except financial planning )

Maybe if we had any interest in social media, but we are not even on FB.

Give me back our crappy flip-phones....but at least we only pay $15/month for this worthless POS.

Rant over....

Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 AM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
So none of you retirees have problems typing on that insane itsy-bitsy keyboard? No one has mentioned that. I LOVE typing on my full-size laptop but cannot, for the life of me, accomplish anything on that POS smartphone keyboard.

We turn the phone off when not using it. Yet, we go to get it later and it's DEAD. Every time. Husband took it to store today, tried to use it, "not connected to network"....SIGH. Just wanted to make a dang phone call. Nothing makes me feel as dumb as smartphones (except financial planning )

Give me back our crappy flip-phones....but at least we only pay $15/month for this worthless POS.

Rant over....
My Dw had one, she hated it. When that contract expired, she went back to a dumb phone.

She wants a phone for talking to people. She wants her laptop for when she is ready to read and respond to emails.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:39 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 740,865 times
OP, nope. I have a $75 a year Tracfone from Walmart. I get 400 min a year. Maybe I use 150 min a year, so always have a carryover of min. Can't afford a smartphone. Maybe if I hit the lotto I will get one. I use the libraries net. In their parking lot it is 24/7 wifi.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:56 AM

8,392 posts, read 9,136,940 times
Quote:

No one mentioned that issue. Probably because it is not a problem for the posters. One nice feature on many smartphones is that the phone adapts to your fingers as you type. Yes I prefer a full sized keyboard, but as I mentioned earlier, it is Really Nice to not have to lug my laptop (or a camera or a GPS or maps or...) when I travel.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:01 AM

3,850 posts, read 9,438,969 times
Quote:

Rant over....
Well, you won't catch me typing with my thumbs like the younger crowd, but I do just fine with one finger. The predictive text keeps me from having to type the whole word most of the time anyway. Additionally, the microphone option works really well too - most times I just talk into it and it captures what I say.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:12 AM

3,978 posts, read 2,537,158 times
Some people are good with computers and smart phones, they seem to understand them intuitively. Most don't especially us older people.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:50 PM

419 posts, read 256,807 times
No, we do not have a smartphone. We have one Star Trek Communicator, a/k/a flip/dumb phone, that we take whenever we leave the house.

Neither of us text, probably because we're both touch typists and prefer to write in complete sentences. We use our desktop computer for everything because our fingers can fly on the keyboard. Also, as someone mentioned, smartphone screens are very difficult to read for some of us with bad eyes.

I can see where smartphones can be a great tool for many. If you travel often, I'm sure they are very helpful. At this time, we have no real use for a smartphone. It's funny, because we were on computers way before most people of our generation and actually were considered the oddballs because of it. We were the people everyone called to set up or fix their 'puters.

We won't hesitate to buy one if we have good use for it, such as if, as we intend, we find ourselves looking for real estate over the coming year. I can see there will come a time when you will have to have a smartphone to do everything you want to do, but until that happens, we're sticking with what we like.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:05 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I am still somewhat the same way, except texting gives the ability of a private conversation when someone is right there
That is so true. I wish all those people riding whatever bus I'm on would text instead of talking on their phones at the top of their voice which people on their phones on the bus always seem to do.

I've been surrounded by several conversations all going on at once none of which I wanted or needed to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement