U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM

3,395 posts, read 3,355,149 times

Advertisements

My mother-in-law has a flip phone that is 20 years old. I actually didn't know they lasted that long. She told us she is not interested in a smart phone, but I can't help wondering if she knows what she is missing.

I suggested to my husband that we surprise her and add a line to our plan and get her a smart phone, so it would be free for her. Is this overstepping our bounds? She could just use it only as a phone like she has been, if she wants. But at least this way she would have the option of using smart phone apps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 01:12 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
So none of you retirees have problems typing on that insane itsy-bitsy keyboard? No one has mentioned that. I LOVE typing on my full-size laptop but cannot, for the life of me, accomplish anything on that POS smartphone keyboard.

We turn the phone off when not using it. Yet, we go to get it later and it's DEAD. Every time. Husband took it to store today, tried to use it, "not connected to network"....SIGH. Just wanted to make a dang phone call. Nothing makes me feel as dumb as smartphones (except financial planning )

Maybe if we had any interest in social media, but we are not even on FB.

Give me back our crappy flip-phones....but at least we only pay $15/month for this worthless POS.

Rant over....
There are special pens you can use to work the keyboard. That may be of help to you.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:16 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
My mother-in-law has a flip phone that is 20 years old. I actually didn't know they lasted that long. She told us she is not interested in a smart phone, but I can't help wondering if she knows what she is missing.

I suggested to my husband that we surprise her and add a line to our plan and get her a smart phone, so it would be free for her. Is this overstepping our bounds? She could just use it only as a phone like she has been, if she wants. But at least this way she would have the option of using smart phone apps.
Does that thing still work?

My sister had an old flip phone and she had to update because the phone she had would no longer be able to receive or make calls due to the change of the phone networks.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:23 PM

30,682 posts, read 49,455,573 times
Last summer our eldest son and his wife came out for a week-long visit. They both carry Iphones and Ipads.

In our living room they were able to do a lot of neat stuff with their devices. They could talk to 'Siri' and ask it questions. Each day while discussing whatever sights they wanted to go and see, they were able to ask 'Siri' all about the places we were going.

Each day as we left our house [more importantly the wifi of our livingroom] they lost signal. So while driving around each day, their devices did not perform much outside of taking pictures.

Each day as we returned home and they got our wifi signal again, they were again able to place phone calls, email photos they had taken during the day, and talk to 'Siri'.

I guess the latest version of Iphones they carry do the same photography as the Ipod does. So at the end of the visit, they decided to leave the Ipod here for us to use. It takes photos and in our living room it can get wifi signal to email the photos to our regular PCs.

Walmart and McD's provide free wifi in their parking lots. If you went to a city that has a Walmart or McD you could then get the 'full functionality' from those devices [while sitting in the parking lot of a Walmart or McD's].

Most of the time, if I am somewhere on our property, or out driving somewhere, I am not sure of what purpose an Iphone would perform.

My Flip phone makes phone calls for me, I use it as my alarm clock. It can also take photos, but they are not very good. Right now if we want a HD photo, we use the Ipod and download it when we get home [to the wifi signal].

Last edited by Submariner; 02-13-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 02-13-2017, 01:37 PM

4,437 posts, read 2,612,363 times
OP:

When we went to smart phones, it was because MOH's work required it to punch in and out while out in the field. I thought it was ridiculous as any old flip phone USED to work to punch in out for them.

I thought I'd only have mine for phone usage and how convenient to have a camera in it for accident photos. SO we bought a low cost android phone {motorola} with the small memory card.

That was it.

Then I got it. Then I used it. Then I used it more. Now I used it so much i never turn it off! I'm about ready to give up the desktop completely in fovor of my cell smart phone and just a laptop

as noted in a post on first page, it is my:

~Phone
~computer internet connection {that covers about all you can do on a computer}[I can access my AOL, Yahoo and google accounts]

~GPS
~camera
~photo albums
~where to find locations {"where is nearest gas station, bank, restaurant?" for instance}
~I have google earth app on it
~I have real estate apps for looking in other states for our retirement home
~email
~maps
~hotel reservationist
~flight reservationist
~rental car reservationist
~weather forecaster
~up to date weather radar
~tv shows viewing streaming
~movie streaming
~Road construction alerts
~[gaming if you are bored and into it]
~It can be used out of the country
~both voice and written language translator
~dictionary, thesaurus
~watch
~alarm clock
~travel guide book

google information for just about ANYTHING at my fingertips, often accurately done simply by my voice talking to it {"what time does X museum open?"} And it will voice me back, and give me a webpage to look at. [sometimes that phrase it may hear as "what dime does sex museum Odin?", so it's not always perfect, but it's an older model, have improved voice control since then}]

AND so much more, I can't begin to tell you what apps there are for it out there, but you name it and you can probably find it

We do have a computer connection landline, but i could do without that if need be.

Our verizon cell phone bill is $95 a month, 4 gigs data for two cell smart phones, and our landline form Verizon was $89/month, so once you have paid for the cell phone, its about as cheap as the regular hardwired land line form a phone company for us. Wifi locations both home and on the road DON'T use your Gigs of data, it is free usage.

PS: do yourself a favor and get the bigger higher data memory card, I wish I had, to change it now, means I'd loose stuff, or have to store it temp. in "the cloud".

I would not be without it now.

I'm convinced and HOOKED

Old 02-13-2017, 01:46 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,450,730 times
$89 per month for a landline? I'm wondering why? Landlines here are $35 or $40, with a cut-rate one going for $16. And with a triple bundle with xFinity Comcast, the landline phone service is free.

It's no big deal to get rid of a desktop computer. Using a laptop, especially an Apple MacBook laptop works wonderfully for everything.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:08 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Have an iPhone 5 and will probably not upgrade. Somehow, I lucked out and got the only model Apple ever made that will work on both GSM and CDMA networks. And since I got it from the Apple store, it is unlocked. What this means is that I can use whatever carrier I desire, and when I visit Europe, all I need to do is purchase a sim card in the airport and I'll have coverage.

"Smartphones" are nothing more than miniature computers with telephone capability. For me, it is useful to have many programs, (oops, I mean "apps"), at my fingertips. If you are not a computer geek, like I am, then you probably don't need a 'smartphone'. A less complicated one will do fine.

Did the same but with a 6. Obviously no CDMA but around here there is almost no investment in them by carriers.

I am underutilizing it. I find that I am more likely to wait for a real computer because I like a nice sized screen and a keyboard I can touch type on (like I am doing right now). The amount of user action that is needed to run a smartphone as a web top really blows. It's great for web addicts ... there are many web addicts ... hence ... there is the market driver. Also, of course, road warriors find them good.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I read the entire thread and I still don't want nor do I need one. Never owned a smart phone and likely never will. Can't relate to these devices seemingly glued to one's hand like they are part of their body. I often wonder what in the heck is so important. I feel disconnect from society as so many people's eyes are obsessed with these. I don't want to be connected every waking hour like I see so often.

My 10 year old desktop computer and landline phone work fine.

I have not used a cell phone in almost 3 years and I do not miss it at all. Can't recall maybe twice (non-emergency) when I wish I still had service but I survived.
My obs is that most users are not doing anything serious. Most are web / FB / text addicts who just can't stop.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
No not really, I used it quite a bit when I first got it, but that was when we lived in San Francisco, so I would use the free wifi in many places. Now we have moved to the Sierra Foothills, & I can go weeks without turning it on. I use my laptop at home, it is much easier to read & use.

I probably won't get another one once this thing dies.
Yep, unless you live in a major metro you'll consume a lot of data.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Problems:
Actual phone calls pretty much poor. Best cell call has been below analog quality from 1950s.
Dealing with making sure battery is charged.
Perpetual software updates, most of which are garbage.
Moronic user interface.
Awkward size.
Not very rugged.
Dittos.

I came to the conclusion that the current paradigm for the UIs / ergo on these was based on selling to people who were either non users or light users of computers.

The thing I can't stand is having to look while typing.

Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement