Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 01:42 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times

Advertisements

I could do without one, but have found out they can help in a pinch. My biggest problem is remembering to take it with me and keeping it charged. Buy a plug in charger chord/adapter for your car. I had a Motorola cheapie and it didn't cut the mustard. I bought a used Samsung s6 Galaxy, great phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 04:27 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Nope. Had a Blackberry until about 4 years ago. Don't miss it.

OnStar in the car for emergencies.

Most of the things people are listing that they use it for I do on my computer. I don't need to do those things away from home.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Well, you won't catch me typing with my thumbs like the younger crowd, but I do just fine with one finger. The predictive text keeps me from having to type the whole word most of the time anyway. Additionally, the microphone option works really well too - most times I just talk into it and it captures what I say.

That one-finger typing drives me crazy! For some reason, I enjoy the act of typing so don't want the frustration of the one-finger adaptation. And when I'm trying to type Spanish, it auto-corrects to English and then I want to hurl that thing into a window and break them both!

As someone else said, some of us are just not cut out for this sort of thing. We've been tutored by 3 other people to no avail. This makes me wonder about different sorts of intelligence....

And here I was, making fun of Hummel figurines on another thread....oops!

Old 02-14-2017, 08:05 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That one-finger typing drives me crazy! For some reason, I enjoy the act of typing so don't want the frustration of the one-finger adaptation. And when I'm trying to type Spanish, it auto-corrects to English and then I want to hurl that thing into a window and break them both!

As someone else said, some of us are just not cut out for this sort of thing. We've been tutored by 3 other people to no avail. This makes me wonder about different sorts of intelligence....

And here I was, making fun of Hummel figurines on another thread....oops!
Not sure about Androids, but with iPhone you can add a Spanish keyboard. I added one because I worked with a lot of people from Mexico and sometimes I wanted to type a Spanish word and using the Spanish keyboard kept it from autocorrecting to English. The only problem was when I would accidentally switch to the Spanish keyboard and it would autocorrect my English words to Spanish -ha!

Old 02-14-2017, 09:30 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Not sure about Androids, but with iPhone you can add a Spanish keyboard. I added one because I worked with a lot of people from Mexico and sometimes I wanted to type a Spanish word and using the Spanish keyboard kept it from autocorrecting to English. The only problem was when I would accidentally switch to the Spanish keyboard and it would autocorrect my English words to Spanish -ha!
Android you have more options to change keyboards than iPhones. It is an open system that allows you to choose dozens of different keyboards out there.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:21 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Nope. Had a Blackberry until about 4 years ago. Don't miss it.

OnStar in the car for emergencies.

Most of the things people are listing that they use it for I do on my computer. I don't need to do those things away from home.
Yes, everything that is being listed, I do on my laptop computer. I switched to using an Apple MacBook laptop from using other brands, and I would NEVER go back to not using the Apple MacBook brand.

My desktop was problematic (most recent Lenovo was terrible) so I got rid of it, and went to strictly a laptop, and haven't missed having a desktop.

I've always had both desktops and laptops. With an 11 inch or 13 inch laptop, it's not large and very light weight. (I also have an iPad (rarely use) and a Kindle for reading books)

Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Yes I have one, but you would have to make your own assessment as to if it is worth it. Our plan is $125/mo.

Use:
Maps quite a bit.
Email quite a bit.
Internet once in a while.
DW and I text in Costco to find each other.
Offline maps with GPS. This makes it worth it to me in the backwoods with no data coverage and I don't have to buy yet another device.
Flashlight that is pretty bright.
Handy camera to capture the moment.
Level app.
Sky map.
Emergency situations or close to it. Used it yesterday to contact home that I would be late and to not call rescue. Used it to call roadside assistance before.
Useful when traveling.
Music stream to stereo.
Handy to have when waiting for just about anything.
Shuts down "knowitalls" with a quick google check.
Barcode scanner.
Access to voicemails to home phone.
Calculator.
Calendar.

Problems:
Actual phone calls pretty much poor. Best cell call has been below analog quality from 1950s.
Dealing with making sure battery is charged.
Perpetual software updates, most of which are garbage.
Moronic user interface.
Awkward size.
Not very rugged.
That $125 per month sound outrageous as in Bend Over and Grab Your Ankles.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:29 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Think about the progression here and consider what went wrong:
1. Mainframes with dumb terminals
2. Minis with dumb terminals and a few desk top computers on a small network.
3. PCs
4. Luggables
5. Laptops
6. Tablets
7. Phones

Up to and including #5 we had miniaturization of memory, drives, boards, etc.

#6 sort of continued the trend but at the cost of jettisoning critical components.

#7 further jettisoned critical components, making the user a complete slave to the server / cloud. UI sucks. Can't touch type. Tiny little screen. Very little in the way of I/O other than wireless (and new iCruds have no physical I/O at all). Extremely poor for any sort of sensory disabilities, especially issues with eye sight.

While #7 is great for giving the user a highly mobile web top, it's at the cost of going backwards with so many other things. Fail.

The effort should have been to take the paradigm in #5 and continue to make it better and more mobile. It may never happen now.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:34 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
That $125 per month sound outrageous as in Bend Over and Grab Your Ankles.
I completely agree, it is outrageous, but it is the bare minimum plan so they have you by the ankles.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
bare minimum plan offered by what provider?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement