U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:17 AM

71,469 posts, read 71,652,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I had an interesting guitar setup; the SG systems amp. It had both SS and Tube stages in it, and you could 'mix' the settings from all Tube to all SS with a dial on the front of the amp. I miss it, but got tired of moving it when I exited live performances. It was heavy, but had great sound. Seemed like everything was heavy, or I was just small.
Regardless, once all set up, and the Leslie cranked up in 'Whipping Post', the pain of moving everything vanished.
Miss those days.
when tubes overload they produce nice sweet sounding even order harmonics . they were very pleasant sounding .

solid state overloads and produces harsh nasty sounding odd order harmonics . yeeeeech !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 08:33 AM

381 posts, read 352,235 times
Husband was an electrical engineer. We still have a few tubes in boxes. Sons are all EEs...they all love that era.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:44 AM

7,287 posts, read 15,339,626 times
The spouse fixes vintage tube amps - both guitar/bass amps and old stereo amps. He has a HUGE tube tester, a table-sized Hickok from about 1960. These days tubes come from various bits of the former Soviet Empire (Ukraine, Yugoslavia), China and Taiwan.

Some of those old original tubes, in working condition, are worth a fair bit on ebay, btw.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:49 AM

71,469 posts, read 71,652,652 times
i used to be heavy in to high end audio gear . good tubes were always in demand . the company i worked for was a siemens motor control and drive distributor . they hooked me up with their division that makes tubes in germany .

i used to buy 100-12ax7's at a time and sell them in high end audio publications . i couldn't get them fast enough at times . the demand was insane

Old 02-12-2017, 09:58 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when tubes overload they produce nice sweet sounding even order harmonics . they were very pleasant sounding .

solid state overloads and produces harsh nasty sounding odd order harmonics . yeeeeech !
Miss the stories from the road, too. Like when our drummer was in a nice solo on a barely adequate sized, formica-covered stage. Even though he was on a bath rug (rubber side down), the little 'spike' on the back leg of his three legged stool had gone through the rug, and in the midst of the solo, the spike slowly creeped its way to the back edge of the stage. I remember happening to glance over as the stool left the stage. His eyes got REALLY BIG as he grabbed the hi-hat and snare while the drum sticks flew. Note to self: That won't keep you on stage. Snare, tom, crash, hi-hat and drummer flew backwards with a very interesting sound. The song ending rocketed into the dust, and once his big red hair popped up with a huge grin shining through it, the house erupted in laughter. Lots of beers that night.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:18 PM

2,670 posts, read 1,537,482 times
I remember the early 60s when neighbors started junking their tube sets. Used to collect them and take them apart with a soldering gun. Weller of course, and I still have it. Those old sets had monster power transformers, especially the early color sets. Lots of fun for a young HS student.

Having the TV repairman come was like a house call by a doctor. Much anxious waiting. A bit of laying on of hands, as he (they were always male) looked for the one not glowing. The new tube came out of the tube caddy and box, was inserted and the set turned on. We all celebrated as the "patient" was restored to life. We turned on Ozzie and Harriett, and peace was restored...

Old 02-12-2017, 01:26 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
remember when drug stores had tube testers ?

i was trying to explain that to our kids . they thought it was funny that drug stores were actually in the tube business too as many had a stock of the popular ones .

we always had to turn the tv on before the show so the tubes could warm up first . the set was in a giant console that came with a tube mono sound system and a bsr record player with a nickle on the arm . (the nickle was optional ) the weight actually re-cut the vinyl out over time ha ha ha
Always loved going with my dad to Radio Shack to get tubes and to help him repair TV's.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:50 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,568,125 times
I loved repairing our TV when I was a kid, trucking down to the store to test the tubes. When the TV finally went dead you could pull out the HV box that drove the CRT and use that to create some cool special effects. I still have one of the first electronics projects I built - a photoelectric "eye" with a vacuum tube photocell. Fun stuff.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:53 PM

888 posts, read 809,426 times
Yep. Remember many trips with my dad to Walgreens watching him plug tubes in. The insides of that TV with those warnings and sinister looking devices looked more like something out of a nuclear silo.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:55 PM

2,670 posts, read 1,537,482 times
^ yes, those flyback transformers were pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement