U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:33 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,029,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
As to those tube testers, we still have a couple in some older stores around town.
Saw this and looked to see when it was posted. I thought someone had dug up a very old thread. I have not seen a tube tester in ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 AM

71,461 posts, read 71,629,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I remember going to the Rexall Drug Store to test tubes. One of my ham radios, made in the 60's, has tubes. Ah that glow...
i am a ham too. i am not on much except when we go hunting in places with out cell coverage .

Old 02-13-2017, 11:01 AM

4,651 posts, read 3,235,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Listener2307[/b];47172475]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2WBBcH6OPU
Marty Robbins had a huge hit that featured an amp with a bad tube. It went out during practice, but they just liked the way it sounded.
Remember?

Yes, I do remember. Marty Robbins was a favorite, so sad he passed so young in age.

I loved that song, as well as many others he sang.

Thanks for the memory!

Old 02-13-2017, 01:50 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,126,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
remember when drug stores had tube testers ?

i was trying to explain that to our kids . they thought it was funny that drug stores were actually in the tube business too as many had a stock of the popular ones .

we always had to turn the tv on before the show so the tubes could warm up first . the set was in a giant console that came with a tube mono sound system and a bsr record player with a nickle on the arm . (the nickle was optional ) the weight actually re-cut the vinyl out over time ha ha ha
I actually have an old tube tuner. The tubes all still work but some of the mechanicals are in need of refurbishment.

I have a hybrid tube / solid state amp as well. In perfect working order.

If I do ever have to do anything with the tubes I'd probably slap them on an lab gear at work to check out functionality. I believe I'd be able to use the same gear we use with high power semiconductors.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:25 PM

2,670 posts, read 1,536,269 times
When I was in HS, there was a surplus electronics shop downtown, with real surplus. Huge transmitting tubes from WWII equipment and surplus image orthicons from local TV stations. Big linear amps that hams probably adapted. Of course I could barely afford lunch at school, so I just looked. Could not afford to buy, but I still have mental images of the stuff in the place.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:53 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,566,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
When I was in HS, there was a surplus electronics shop downtown, with real surplus. Huge transmitting tubes from WWII equipment and surplus image orthicons from local TV stations. Big linear amps that hams probably adapted. Of course I could barely afford lunch at school, so I just looked. Could not afford to buy, but I still have mental images of the stuff in the place.
I was a ham in high school, well my early HS years, before I discovered girls, but that is another story.... Anyway, there was a navy surplus store nearby. I bought my first receiver from them for I think around $5. It was a monster thing with lots of dials and meters. And full of tubes. I forgot about that thing.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:22 AM

1,158 posts, read 648,171 times
Dad used to subscribe to Popular Electronics. He made a tube tester from one of their kits. It had all sorts of dials and levers with white plastic tips that he would toggle up and down to see if the light lit. It was in a very nice maple wood case. Hmmm, I'll bet he would have had an Iphone. He loved electronics!

Old 02-14-2017, 02:11 AM

17,028 posts, read 9,547,610 times
Will always play my guitar through tube amps and use quite a few tubes from the '50s.

I've had to replace only a small handful over the years.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:21 AM

71,461 posts, read 71,629,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I was a ham in high school, well my early HS years, before I discovered girls, but that is another story.... Anyway, there was a navy surplus store nearby. I bought my first receiver from them for I think around $5. It was a monster thing with lots of dials and meters. And full of tubes. I forgot about that thing.
i was a brick layer , but then i discovered girls .
ha ha ha .

as a kid i learned to copy the mobile tube linear amplifiers for cb's that lafayette electronics used to sell .

they were really supposed to be used on 10 meters but they worked fine on 11 meters which was cb . for anyone that wanted to illegally run more power on cb i sold so many of them at the cb eyeballs as they were called .

Old 02-14-2017, 05:55 AM

7,313 posts, read 3,031,389 times
Growing up in the late 50's (!!!!), my dad was talented with electronics and had a side business in the basement fixing TVs that he got for free from the local TV repair shop. We had a tube tester as well.

My dad was color blind, so me or one of my brothers would go downstairs in the evenings to call-out the color stripes on resistors and wires.
I found it annoying at the time, but it taught me how to read wiring diagrams at age 10.

We were the first in our neighborhood to have Color TV.
Back then, pretty much anything could be repaired.

What a time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement