Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 03:37 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

remember when drug stores had tube testers ?

i was trying to explain that to our kids . they thought it was funny that drug stores were actually in the tube business too as many had a stock of the popular ones .

we always had to turn the tv on before the show so the tubes could warm up first . the set was in a giant console that came with a tube mono sound system and a bsr record player with a nickle on the arm . (the nickle was optional ) the weight actually re-cut the vinyl out over time ha ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 03:45 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
yes I do remember those tube testers. Pretty ingenious things they were.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:00 AM

nothing like the romantic glow of those tubes in a living room ha ha ha

high end audio today still uses tubes . music sounds so mellow through a good tube design . when i was drummer marshall amps were in big demand because of their tube design .

Old 02-12-2017, 05:20 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
They still are! Now, this'll show my age. In days of old, tubes were what made the Hammond M3 THE organ to have in your band. Unfortunately, I can tell you from experience how miserable they were- even with 4 people- hauling one up the back stairs to a stage! (especially if it had a Leslie speaker) Surprised that any organists survived those days.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:22 AM

we had a hammond c3 with stacked leslies when i was a pro drummer . it was a monster to move .

Old 02-12-2017, 06:24 AM

863 posts, read 795,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nothing like the romantic glow of those tubes in a living room ha ha ha

high end audio today still uses tubes . music sounds so mellow through a good tube design . when i was drummer marshall amps were in big demand because of their tube design .
As a self confessed "audiophile" my equipment is tube based. And as a guitar player, nothing sounds like a tube based Marshall amp. The older tube based Fender's are pretty sweet too. The new digital modeling amps are horrible in my opinion, they use software to emulate the sound of old time equipment. Thankfully, modern, tube based amplifiers are still available, though more expensive.

As to those tube testers, we still have a couple in some older stores around town.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:31 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
I had an interesting guitar setup; the SG systems amp. It had both SS and Tube stages in it, and you could 'mix' the settings from all Tube to all SS with a dial on the front of the amp. I miss it, but got tired of moving it when I exited live performances. It was heavy, but had great sound. Seemed like everything was heavy, or I was just small.
Regardless, once all set up, and the Leslie cranked up in 'Whipping Post', the pain of moving everything vanished.
Miss those days.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:40 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
We had tube testers for the TV in the grocery stores. They were right in the 'front' of the checkout area sort of like where some stores have rugdoctor and other rental stuff today. Not as exciting as you guys and your band stories though.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:32 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
remember when drug stores had tube testers ?

i was trying to explain that to our kids . they thought it was funny that drug stores were actually in the tube business too as many had a stock of the popular ones .

we always had to turn the tv on before the show so the tubes could warm up first . the set was in a giant console that came with a tube mono sound system and a bsr record player with a nickle on the arm . (the nickle was optional ) the weight actually re-cut the vinyl out over time ha ha ha
I'm 56.5 and well remember those. We'd hit Safeway and I'd test a few of the tubes from our TV and find the bad one, select the replacement and have it ready when she was done...Then install and back to cartoons...(Then I had to go a learn how to fix the washer, dryer, freezer (They hed 5 bodies back then)

Old 02-12-2017, 07:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Anyone remember the TV repairman? We had a neighborhood guy who did this for a living (I think it was his part-time job). He would sometimes bring his wife with him, after he "fixed" the TV, He and his wife would have a beer (or two) with my parents. They were fun people and I enjoyed those times when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement