U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:11 AM

238 posts, read 153,993 times

Advertisements

Where's your comfort zone and how do you adjust?[/quote]

During the day we're at 72 and at night 62. We're both pretty happy with that. The more we exercise the lower we want the thermostat. If I feel chilly at all, I layer some clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 09:18 AM

3,690 posts, read 1,868,735 times
I wear sweater/socks year around inside. Freezing all the time.

Husband is very warm-natured.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,789 posts, read 54,440,540 times
I have that problem now, and expect it to be better when we retire in a few years. My wife is always cold with the thermostat at 70, and I prefer 67-68. She will have on a sweatshirt or blanket, while I'm in a T-shirt. With a December electric/gas bill of $390, it's not going to be set any higher. We will be downsizing and have a smaller house, but I expect to spend most of the days outside or in a shop doing fun projects. She should be able to go up to 72 or so with a lower bill, and I won't be too hot until I come in.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:29 PM

3,407 posts, read 3,966,143 times
My husband used to tell me I "had no blood" because I get cold easily. Born and raised in Michigan, you'd think I would be used to cold temps. Nope. So I retired to Texas. Since I have been living on my own, in my own home, I have tried various temperatures both winter and summer, day and night, adjusting by just 1 degree, and have found that that one degree does make a difference in my being too hot or too cold.

My temps are: AC 76 and heat 74. I turn the thermostat up, down or off when I am not home, according to the season.

I just made a reservation to go on a retreat through my church. After reading this thread and realizing everyone has very different temperature requests, I have decided now and going forward to always get a room by myself. Pricier, but worth it.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:51 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,507,801 times
Midwest here. When we have the furnace on at night it's 62, 67 during the day. AC when on is 68. Anytime we can be without them on they are off because the bill is so high. We open windows and use fans when warm weather hits and layer on sweats and fleece in winter. Both of us prefer cooler at all times as well as open windows for fresh air. It works out great!

Old 02-19-2017, 10:57 PM

7,252 posts, read 4,136,323 times
My wife always wants it warmer than I do. Both my truck and my car have dual zone HVAC controls, which is great when we're driving. Now if I could only have something similar at home! I could, but it would be cost prohibitive.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:47 PM

9,150 posts, read 3,003,072 times
I've never lived with anyone, while growing up or as an adult, where there was any issue about inside temperature. But all those people were vigorous and healthy and worked out hard every day, as I always have. If you're in good athletic shape, your ability to handle temperature extremes is greatly increased. I've never lived anywhere that had air-conditioning. Except a few times, when the outside temperature was over 100 F, I've set up a small fan on my editing desk and sprayed myself with a plant-moisturizer bottle.

One active way I've stayed comfortably cool during extra-hot days, is to take my best road bike and go for a long, fast workout. The flowing air over your body will evaporate perspiration rapidly, especially if you have a lot of body hair, to wick it out away from your skin. But you have to continually drink water, because the evaporation keeps you from realizing just how much you're perspiring and you can quickly become dehydrated. Your body becomes its own air-conditioning system in this way.

If you shave off all your body hair, your ability to stay comfortable on hot days, is diminished. It will also keep you warmer under your clothes in wintertime, by providing a small, insulating gap between them and your skin. Mother Nature knew what she was doing, when she left us with that sparse, but important bit of hair. Marathon runners who shave their bodies, just haven't learned that lesson. The tiny droplets of moisture flowing out on the hair, have more than twice the evaporation area, as on someone who has shaved skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement