U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 09:24 AM

1,040 posts, read 484,865 times

Advertisements

hey guys
have you noticed that in general the FIRECALC success ratio when you plug in your numbers is much more optimistic than Cfiresim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:39 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,259,322 times
Are you using the same monetary assumptions for both calculators?

Old 02-13-2017, 09:44 AM

yes

Old 02-13-2017, 10:18 AM

4,060 posts, read 2,571,078 times
It does not surprise me. There are lots of assumptions that go into RIP tools. None of them do a good job with bonds, for instance. And they assume investors are perfect investing machines and never jump in/out of investments. You have to take their results with a big grain of salt.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:24 AM

71,520 posts, read 71,712,424 times
fidelity uses monte carlo simulations to simulate worst time frames .

you have to see what they are using for bonds too . do you know that bill bengans safe max did better than 4% because he used short term gov't bonds in the data . the trinirty did worse than 4% and they used longer term corporates .

firecalc requires a lot more inflation planning . the numbers in fidelity take the rate of inflation for health care and long term care and accelerate them at almost 2x the inflation rate .

there are many other differences too . if you are 90-100% in either you have things as good as it gets based on what we know up to today .

i don't use c-fire so i don't know what they do internally

Old 02-13-2017, 11:04 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,153,939 times
Here is an interview of the creator of cfiresim. The program is an improved reverse-engineered version of FireCal since its development was stopped in 2007.

Get to Know Bo - Creator of cFIREsim - Bucking the Trend

Quote:
What advantages does cFIREsim have over FIRECalc?

As of this interview, there are a few things.

cFIREsim is in active development with the help of its users.

cFIREsim provides more flexibility for additional Savings/Spending inputs (that can be both one-time or recurring).

Rather than the traditional “constant-dollar %” or the “% of portfolio” withdrawal methods, cFIREsim provides the ability to model a few different variable-spending models.

cFIREsim allows for simulating a retirement from a single start year, rather than ALL of the data points. This was a big request from folks looking to simulate the WORST years in history.
cFIREsim’s inputs are all on one page. Some people reading this might think this is a silly thing to mention, but there have been a lot of complaints in the past about FireCalc’s mutli-tab interface

Old 02-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Thanks guys...appreciate it!!

Old 02-13-2017, 01:21 PM

510 posts, read 304,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
hey guys
have you noticed that in general the FIRECALC success ratio when you plug in your numbers is much more optimistic than Cfiresim?
I just ran thru the forum postings at cFiresim and cannot find the reference but...

As I recall some time back there was a very serious question about how Firecalc calculated bond values, especially with regard to rebalancing a portfolio

cFiresim supposedly uses a much more realistic way of calculating bond values and that accounts for the lousier portfolio performance. Firecalc is allegedly too hopeful...?

That's what I recall from a few yrs back but like I said I cannot find the actual statements thereto

Any of this sound even vaguely familiar or ring any bells with anyone else?

Old 02-13-2017, 01:52 PM

109 posts, read 101,487 times
Thanks for sharing this--I was not familiar with the cFiresim tool. For what it is worth, I ran my number through cFiresim, and I get pretty comparable figures relative to firecalc, which to me is reassuring that the results are more or less replicated.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:50 PM

5,937 posts, read 2,888,852 times
I've always had firecalc and cfiresim numbers pretty similar as well, at least close enough where it isn't worth fretting about which is the right answer.

I like cfiresim better because it has a lot more flexibility with modeling withdrawal methods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement