Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 02:25 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I was tormented with this one as a child;

Georgie Porgie, Pudding and pie,Kissed the girls and made them cry,When the boys came out to play,Georgie Porgie ran away.Later, I was further tormented with this version;

Georgie Porgie, Pudding and pie,Kissed the girls and made them cry,When the boys came out to play,He kissed them too 'cause he was gay.
And then there is the Andrew Dice Clay version, which will get me banned if I post it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 02:27 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
We said tigers too in NY.
My brother was teaching my sister and I the version with the "other" word, and my mother heard it. Out she came with her wooden yardstick. Chased my brother over the patio and into the neighbor's yard and broke it over his butt. He laughed the whole time

Old 02-14-2017, 02:45 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Eni, meenie, Minie, moe, catch an African American by the toe. Well it didn't exactly go like that. Too bad racism is still an issue 60 years later.
Daniel Boone was a man, yes a big man, but the bear was bigger and he ran .... (perhaps you know the rest .... )

BTW - this is somewhat self deprecating according to the one drop rule ...

Old 02-14-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts

mutilated monkey meat
french fried birds feet
mmmm wish I had a spoon.

A pretty yukky song, which is probably why we sang it so much.

then there was:

I stand before you to sit behind you to tell you something I know nothing about.

Admission is free-you pay at the door. Pull up a chair and sit on the floor.

There was more but that's as much as I remember.
Good one. I remember that.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Ninety nine bottles of beer on the wall.......

I remember singing that on the school bus going on a field trip.
You're in the Army now
You're in the Army now
Diggin' a ditch
Son of a Beaotch
You're in the Army now.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
My DH has passed this ditty onto the grandkids

Sang to the tune of Jingle Bells:

Jingle Bells, Batman smells
Robin laid an egg.
The Batmobile lost a wheel
and the Joker got away (Hey!)

I was looking for the exact words because unlike DH, I had not committed this one to memory, and came across this link:
The Secret True History Of 'Jingle Bells, Batman Smells'

Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheaven23 View Post
Lincoln, Lincoln, I've been thinking. What the heck have you been drinking? Is it beer or is it wine, oh my gosh it's turpentine! Think this was a jump rope song.
Ha! We sang that as:

Pepsi cola hits the spot
Ties your belly in a knot
Tastes like water
Tastes like wine
Oh my gosh its turpentine!

Old 02-14-2017, 03:10 PM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
Oh THANK YOU!

Once I started reading these I could here me singing this again. In my mind all the words and the tune came back. Amazing!

Just a note....Baa, baa, black sheep have you any wool....was a masked statement about the Master and others taking all the hard earned wool from the rancher/farmer and none was left for them. It was in the day when you paid the Master a portion of what you grew or tended and it became more and more until the rancher/farmer was still poor and the Master became richer and richer off the backs of the working class

Lord, that must be from the 1700's!

Sorry to say...no, I see few kids singing these songs anymore or skipping rope, playing patty cake or making mud pies. What a shame!

Old 02-14-2017, 03:28 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,938 times
As a child, my daughter loved taradiddles and could sing them for hours days and nights! This thread made me miss her terribly.

Since today is Valentine's day, I remembers another of her favorite songs. It's not a taradiddle but it is just simply wonderful

Skidamarink a-dink, a-dink,
Skidamarink a-doo,
I love you. (2x)
I love you in the morning,
And in the afternoon;
I love you in the evening,
And underneath the moon.
Oh, skidamarink a-dink, a-dink,
Skidamarink a-doo,
I love you.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:07 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
The other variation:

_____ and _____ sitting in a tree.
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
First comes love, then comes marriage,
Then comes _________ with a baby carriage.

or

10 little monkeys, jumping on the bed.
One fell off and broke his head.
Call for the doctor and the doctor said
"NO MORE MONKEYS JUMPING ON THE BED"

9 little monkeys......
8 little monkeys.....

or

there was something that had the words:
"Call for the doctor,
Call for the nurse,
Call for the lady with
the alligator purse."

I finally figured out who "the lady with the alligator purse" was. She was the public health official who would come to the house and put a "quarantine" sign on the front door when there was a communicable disease present (measles, chicken pox, scarlet fever, etc.) I guess the doctor would call her after he had made a house call (you guys are probably too young to remember "house calls".)
That's from Minnehaha, a jump rope song that goes; Mini mini ha ha went see her papa, papa died, mini mini cried. Mini had a baby, his name was tiny Tim, she put him in a bathtub to see if he could swim. He drank up all the water, he even ate the soap, he tried to swallow the bathtub but it wouldn't go down his throat. Mini called a doctor Mini called a nurse Mini called a lady with an alligator purse. Measles said the doctor, mumps said the nurse, flu said the lady with the alligator purse. out walked the doctor, out walked the nurse, out walked the lady with the alligator purse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement