U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 12:30 PM

13,907 posts, read 25,369,716 times

Advertisements

I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch. And all I do is cry and cry all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 01:09 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,709,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Eni, meenie, Minie, moe, catch an African American by the toe. Well it didn't exactly go like that. Too bad racism is still an issue 60 years later.
We knew what the bad word was so we always said, "Catch a tiger by the toe."

Old 02-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
And the game that accompanies it. I was working with a group of school-age kids (before I retired) and intended to teach them "The Needle's Eye", a Kentucky singing game made well-known by Jesse Stuart's "The Thread that Runs so True", about his teaching in an isolated one-room school. So I said, "Make a ring and a bridge, like in 'London Bridge'". To my shock, NONE of the kids knew how to play it. So I scrapped "The Needle's Eye" and taught them how to play "London Bridge". They ranged from six to eleven year old children - but none of them had ever played the game.

I wonder if other ancient singing games are also becoming lost - you can't play them on a hand-held device. "Go in and Out the Windows", "Oats, Peas Beans and Barley Grow", "Way Down Yonder in the Paw-Paw Patch" - are they still around among children? If so, do kids learn them from each other, or are they deliberately taught?
I think at least when we were young kids taught each other. Now I don't know. I remember reading a book back in the 60's in which a brand new suburban housing development attracted a population of young just-marrieds all around the same age from the nearby city.

When they began to have kids, they would send them outside to play but they noticed the kids weren't playing the childhood games these parents once played growing up in city neighborhoods. So a few of the moms got together and went outside to teach their kids kid games. Pretty soon as the first generation of kids began teaching their younger brothers and sisters when they came along.

The moms wrote a book about this, the lost traditions of older kids handing down these games to younger kids in the new suburban areas. They also listed the games with directions on how to play them.

When you think about it, do you remember who taught you hopscotch or hide and seek or statues etc?

Old 02-15-2017, 01:33 PM

One more I didn't see this already posted to here goes.

When I was born my Ma and Pa,
looked at me and said, "Oh shaw!
The doctor said, "It's a girl, think."
So Pa went out and got a drink.
They always, always pick on me,
They never, never, let me be.
I know what I'll do bye and bye,
I'll eat some worms and then I'll die.
And they'll be sorry that they picked on me.

My dad used to sing this song around the house all the time. One day my innocent older sister got up and sang this song in front of her kindergarten class when the teacher asked for volunteers to sing a song. My sister got sent home with a note from her teacher telling my parents she had sung a terrible song in class that day and to talk to her about it.

When my parents asked my sister to tell them what she had sung, My dad thought it was funny, my mom, not so much.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:51 PM

10,421 posts, read 9,411,463 times
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:18 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,845,728 times
Mary had a little lamb
Its fleece was white as snow
And everywhere that Mary went
The lamb was sure to go.
It followed her to school one day
Which was against the rule.
It made the children laugh and play
To see a lamb at school.

Mary had a little lamb.
Her father shot it dead.
Now Mary takes her lamb to school
Between two hunks of bread!

Old 02-15-2017, 02:42 PM

12,612 posts, read 16,704,515 times
TRIVIA: Somewhere I have a letter from a lady who connected the family of Gail Borden, Jr (condensed milk) to Lizzie Borden's family. I am related to Gail Borden's wife Penelope Mercer so I have no special skills like opening canned milk with an ax.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:08 PM

5,230 posts, read 5,111,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream.

I slam,
You slam,
We all slam,
For Islam!

Old 02-15-2017, 04:22 PM

15,183 posts, read 13,464,663 times
"How dry I am,

how wet I'll be,

if I can't find the bathroom key.

It's too late now,

it's on the floor,

my Playtex pants could hold no more."

Old 02-15-2017, 04:36 PM

12,764 posts, read 7,842,732 times
Chinese!
Japanese!
Dirty knees
Look at these!

I had no idea what it meant...still don't!

When we said Chinese we'd lift up the corners of our eyes.
When we said Japanese we'd pull down the corners of our eyes.

PC has come a long way, thank goodness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement