U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 PM

4,690 posts, read 3,260,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Aredhel;47204811[/b]]Try driving your van away when you're awakened from a deep sleep in the middle of the night by the sound of glass breaking and the sight of someone crawling in through your now-smashed windshield.

Contrary to your assertions, it's very easy to break into a vehicle quickly; and all you need to do it is that high-tech device known as a large rock. (Bear country is an exception to the rule precisely because grizzlies haven't figured out how to use rocks, or that glass is more easily broken than metal.)

Those aren't the people you need to worry about.

Campervans are very, very popular in New Zealand, and there they've had a real problem with gangs of thugs assaulting (and occasionally murdering) tourists using campervans to get around the country. (And many of the targeted weren't sleeping alone; so much for safety in numbers!) A few examples: https://e2nz.org/2010/05/22/french-t...ervan-robbery/
Freedom campers terrorised at Caroline Bay, Timaru | Stuff.co.nz
Attempted murder charges after campervan attack - National - NZ Herald News

Vans (whether modified for camping or not) are just vehicles, not armored fortresses. It's no harder for a criminal to break in to assault someone sleeping inside a van than it is for him to break into one to steal the stereo.

OP, the chances of anything bad happening to you if you're sleeping alone (especially in a truly remote area) are nearly close to zero - but on very rare occasions attacks do happen. Given what you've said in your most recent reply, you should probably skip any plans buy/rent a van and just plan on sticking to motels. Your Toyota sedan, a cooler (so you can buy some groceries instead of having to eat at restaurants all the time), and a AAA membership and Triptik is all you need for your adventure! Have fun!

I have known fear-mongers before but you get first prize.

I could walk out my door and get shot, robbed, kidnapped, etc. And I live in a village, not a remote area.

If I were to decide the van idea (or tent idea)..... I am not as stupid as you imply I might be. Why in the world would I choose a remote area to set up camp?? Good grief, I am almost 75 and have survived a lot of scary things in my life. But you scare me more than any of it. Are you teaching your children that same fear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 12:46 PM

7,330 posts, read 4,179,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have known fear-mongers before but you get first prize.
Fear-mongering? Not at all. AZDesertBrat, who was certain you'd never want to sleep ALL BY YOURSELF in a tent, was fear-mongering. Fluffythewondercat (who I was directly responding to in the post you quoted) was spreading the misleading information that vans are somehow magically safer than tents, when in fact they are not.

Quote:
I could walk out my door and get shot, robbed, kidnapped, etc. And I live in a village, not a remote area.
Then you understand that the trip you are proposing is in no way any riskier than your everyday life. You'd be surprised just how many women actually ARE afraid to travel solo.

Quote:
If I were to decide the van idea (or tent idea)..... I am not as stupid as you imply I might be. Why in the world would I choose a remote area to set up camp?? Good grief, I am almost 75 and have survived a lot of scary things in my life. But you scare me more than any of it. Are you teaching your children that same fear?
I was in no way implying that you are stupid. And that's the point: even though some women are scared of it, solo tent camping (or RV camping) actually isn't very risky provided you choose your campsite with some care and use some common sense. There's no reason to avoid it just because you'd be by yourself. And being able to stay at KOA campgrounds and campgrounds at National Parks would add a bit of flexibility to your trip plans, which might be nice.

(Spoken by someone who actually HAS camped far, far away from civilization in a tent ALL BY HERSELF!!! When the day actually comes when I retire, one of the things I'm looking forward to is having the time to do more solo wilderness backpacking, health allowing. Stupid plantar fasciatis...)

Old 02-15-2017, 01:56 PM

10,485 posts, read 5,947,197 times
Ii think the OP is right to simply look at low priced motels. As posted a KOA is about $40 a night, that's nearly the cost of a motel. So the only way to really save money by sleeping in the van is to park it somewhere. And yes there is a danger in that, more so that walking out your front door. You can't just park in a neighborhood, neighbors would be suspicious and call the police. Inner city? I don't think so. So that leave fairly remote areas. I keep picturing what happened to Michael Jordan's father.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:06 PM

And here is the reason I was suggesting a tent in your case instead of a van:

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...ay-airbed-twin

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-20000...an%2Bpump&th=1

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...-2016-closeout

(If you're super budget conscious, you could go with this instead: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...owstone-2-tent , but the air mattress might be a tight fit.)

Total cost: a princely $153.15. And you could add a small LED lantern, a folding chair and table, a cooler, and maybe a camp stove, and still keep the total cost below $250. You already have pillow and blankets, so no need to buy those. Contrast that to the thousands of dollars everyone is suggesting spending to buy or rent a van! Frankly, if you can't afford the initial outlay for the setup I've suggested above, you can't afford this trip.

Last edited by Aredhel; 02-15-2017 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-15-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Ii think the OP is right to simply look at low priced motels. As posted a KOA is about $40 a night, that's nearly the cost of a motel.
State campgrounds can be less expensive. I've booked a spot in a state campground here in Nebraska for the August solar eclipse which is costing me only $20/night. National Park campgrounds aren't very expensive, either, although they can fill up fast. But low cost motels are certainly a very good option!

It all comes down to what the OP can afford (which is not a van) and what she's comfortable with.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,685 posts, read 40,050,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Ii think the OP is right to simply look at low priced motels. ...
A single gal friend was touring the USA with 2 High School daughters. As 3 gals, they got pretty creeped out even staying in decent Motels, and chain Hotels.

They used my Hospitality Guest home directory in a few big cities on east coast, and found them so safe, accommodating, and pleasant, that they routed the remaining 3 months journey where they could find Guest Home accommodations. (~$10 - $20 / night for all three of them).

We used them for over 100 nights last yr alone, and have been using them for 25+ yrs.
Very safe, very educational, very welcoming, very helpful.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:20 PM

Oh, and OP, buy an America the Beautiful National Parks Senior Pass NOW! It's good for the rest of your life, will save you a ton of money on admission fees to National Parks, and right now it costs a whopping $10. The price is due to go up to $80 sometime later this year (which is still a bargain given that the regular pass we non-seniors buy costs $80 a YEAR.). So now is the time to buy one!

https://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html

Old 02-15-2017, 03:27 PM

6,131 posts, read 9,103,325 times
Buy a gun.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Buy a gun.
No. Carry laws vary hugely between states, and I doubt the OP has any real firearms training. A gun is the very last thing she needs! Common sense and a reasonable amount of alertness is far more valuable.

(And I say that as someone who DOES own firearms and has a carry permit for them!)

Old 02-15-2017, 03:36 PM

4,690 posts, read 3,260,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No. Carry laws vary hugely between states, and I doubt the OP has any real firearms training. A gun is the very last thing she needs! Common sense and a reasonable amount of alertness if far more valuable.

(And I say that as someone who DOES own firearms and has a carry permit for them!)
How do you know that about me?

You presume to know me....... you do not. Please stop describing me. You don't even know what I look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement