U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:12 PM

1,033 posts, read 637,762 times

Advertisements

You might try... https://rvshare.com
or Campervan Hire North America - 2 Seater Wicked Campervan

or California Rv Rental - Cheap Motorhome Rental In California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,510,190 times
How about renting a mini-van by the week through Enterprise or Budget, etc? Wouldn't that be cheaper?

Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,764,670 times
I am boggled by the people who are concerned about stalkers breaking into a van. We are middle age women, people rarely stalk us. Quit watching that TV show. If there was a show featuring gruesome accidents you would never get on the road.

I too have camped in a tent many a time. A van or SUV/CUV is appealing because you will be warmer and yes a bit more secure. Also quieter.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:53 AM

4,977 posts, read 3,462,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I am boggled by the people who are concerned about stalkers breaking into a van. We are middle age women, people rarely stalk us. Quit watching that TV show. If there was a show featuring gruesome accidents you would never get on the road.

I too have camped in a tent many a time. A van or SUV/CUV is appealing because you will be warmer and yes a bit more secure. Also quieter.
This has given me thought too. What would be appealing about an older woman sleeping in her car? I plan on doing it if necessary in my travels. Just what would the attraction be? Unless, I suppose, you looked wealthy which I don't.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:46 AM

10,464 posts, read 5,933,005 times
Again if I park and sleep in a van in an isolated area yeah I'd be concerned and I am a 6' 3" man who is rarely scared. A van sitting alone could attract the wrong kind of attention. As I said parking in a residential neighborhood could draw suspicion and a possible call to the police and the city is not always safe either. If you are in a camgpground I would have zero concern.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:42 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Check out "JUCY". They are the leader in small, small campervan rentals. You will get tight accommodations, but storage space, a decent bed, stove, water supply and even a refrigerator. Costs will be $40-50/day, plus fuel. I doubt you will find anything cheaper.

In terms of safety, well, always avoid staying in some urban ghetto area. Other than that, virtually anywhere is acceptable. That would include the typical national park or national forest campgrounds, private campgrounds and even most forms of "stealth" camping. Certain businesses welcome travelers and permit them to stay in their parking lots overnight. Walmart is the absolute best. Not only can you stay, but Walmart stores provide 24 hr security in the form of security cameras and security guards. Always look for a "supercenter" which will be open 24 hrs. Some local ordinances prohibit overnight "camping" but if you are visiting a supercenter and not foolish, you can stay anyway. The vast majority of locations will allow overnight stays. There are plenty of other choices, such as Cracker Barrel or virtually any truck stop such as Pilot/Flying J. There is typically car parking far enough to avoid the sound of idling trucks. Most residential and suburban areas will allow overnight parking. If you ask at a police station be sure to ask about "parking", not "camping". A street in front of a church is usually the best because you will not be taking a resident's street parking. With even minimal thought and experience, you will find safe and reasonable overnight parking almost everywhere. The big exception is resort areas where the local motels and resort owners make sure there are ordinances to prevent people staying in the area for free.

I would say a reasonable daily budget for travel in a Jucy van would be about $50 the van and fuel costs and allow another $25 for camping, food and incidentals. With a senior pass there will be little else. If these costs are too high, then either save up or give up the dream of travel. Personally I would find a way to save or earn some additional money. When I traveled full time in a truck camper, I estimated costs of $100/day. Most of that was for fuel. With a senior pass, I averaged $7/night for camping. I avoided State campgrounds which typically have full hook ups and charges in the $25-35 range. National Park camping is typically about $20/night or $10 with a senior pass. National forests are typically much less.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 AM

10,464 posts, read 5,933,005 times
Again $40-$50/day plus the cost of a campground plus the cost difference in gas mileage is simply not cheaper than a Toyota and a Motel 6 which offers a bed, tv, internet and a warm shower. Why don't people get this?

Old 02-17-2017, 06:56 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,203,442 times
I have back issues and cannot imagine sleeping in a car overnight. I need to move around a lot during the night due to pain and a bed works best for me. A couple years back, my daughter and I toured the Oregon coast. We stayed overnight in yurts for $44/night in their state parks with nice facilities (showers/bathrooms). We traveled via her Toyota Versa.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:16 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,203,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This has given me thought too. What would be appealing about an older woman sleeping in her car? I plan on doing it if necessary in my travels. Just what would the attraction be? Unless, I suppose, you looked wealthy which I don't.

There's all kind of weirdo's. Whose to say some deranged person won't find it appealing to torture any kind of human being, regardless of age or appearance. It does happen and not worth the chance ... at least for me.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:17 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I have back issues and cannot imagine sleeping in a car overnight. I need to move around a lot during the night due to pain and a bed works best for me. A couple years back, my daughter and I toured the Oregon coast. We stayed overnight in yurts for $44/night in their state parks with nice facilities (showers/bathrooms). We traveled via her Toyota Versa.
Campervans such as the Jucy have real beds. The beds are often better than what you get in a motel or a yurt. Your $44/night cost did not include having a vehicle, traveling, or eating. That sort of vacation also needs to be planned to the night months in advance. You will also quickly find that the places for this sort of accommodations are few and far between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement