U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 12:17 PM

1,802 posts, read 1,650,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. I'm 62 and feel the same way. AARP is just another special interest lobby with no regard for the greater good. They're militantly against younger generations, and conveniently overlook the impact their views have on others.

Soc Sec and Medicare are going to bankrupt us as is, and just expecting our children and grandchildren to pay more and more for benefits they'll never see isn't fair either. Of course folks already relying on entitlements can't be cut off, but we have to find some middle ground, where the sacrifice is shared across generations. Sudden changes could cause chaos so I suspect changes will have to be phased in, laid out well in advance, so folks can plan accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Of course AARP is a special interest lobby, it's so us seniors have some skin in the game when all the corporate lobbies are seducing the politicians with campaign donations & promises of board positions for their relatives & themselves when they retire. SS & MC can be fixed without bankrupting future generations & that's where the middle ground will be found, but the "sacrifice" can't be "shared" on the shoulders of society that has already donated, worked & is now elderly & getting sick.
I'm not sure what you intend with "donated" but it's been a paygo system all along, those "donations" are long gone. But I very clearly acknowledged your point. So we're in heated agreement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 06:52 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I LOVE AARP. Best $10 a year (or whatever it is) you could spend.

When I joined AARP, 21 years ago, I felt the same way. As I learned more about its politics, however, I became less enchanted -- but I remained a member because of the benefits, not the least of which is the monthly magazine.

I finally cut the cord six months ago and did not renew my membership. Then, wouldnt you know it -- when I needed to change Medigap plans in December, the AARP/UHC plan was the most cost-efficient one.

So I had to re-join AARP. It wasnt easy, especially since I've condemned AARP's policy of selling its name for advertising to the higgest bidder. And, although I do enjoy the magazine, I'll continue to search for another Medigap company every year.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:57 PM

672 posts, read 393,682 times
If Paul Ryan wants to see riots, outside his office, let him mess with SS and Medicare. The GOP will disappear from the earth. I am an independent. Forget a military buildup. Nonsense. Wasteful. Pentagon cannot account for billions and billions and Trump wants to give them more? Nuts!!!

Old 03-05-2017, 09:28 PM

1,802 posts, read 1,650,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
If Paul Ryan wants to see riots, outside his office, let him mess with SS and Medicare. The GOP will disappear from the earth. I am an independent. Forget a military buildup. Nonsense. Wasteful. Pentagon cannot account for billions and billions and Trump wants to give them more? Nuts!!!
If Soc Sec & Medicare remain exactly as is, how would you see all of us paying for it for the next 50 years? Increase taxes on your children and grandchildren as needed no matter how much it costs?

Holding defense spending where it is now, or even where it is as a % of GDP, won't pay for Soc Sec and Medicare as is - we're running deficits now. US Defense spending is about $850B per year, if you know where they're wasting $500B (about what federal spending deficits have run 2015-2017) you should let us all know.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:41 PM

9,181 posts, read 9,263,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If Soc Sec & Medicare remain exactly as is, how would you see all of us paying for it for the next 50 years? Increase taxes on your children and grandchildren as needed no matter how much it costs?

Holding defense spending where it is now, or even where it is as a % of GDP, won't pay for Soc Sec and Medicare as is - we're running deficits now. US Defense spending is about $850B per year, if you know where they're wasting $500B (about what federal spending deficits have run 2015-2017) you should let us all know.
Some changes have to be gradually and responsible people do not dispute that. I think one real obvious one is simply raising taxes. The tax hike can be graduated or income based. No one said it had to be a flat rate. Benefit limitations ought to be examined. Perhaps, Medicare should not pay for end of life care the way it does. I think maybe we should look at taxing the estates of those who die with large amounts of medical bills that exceed what they paid into Medicare over their lifetime.

What I will go to my grave resisting is the notion of "privatizing medicare". Its a really bad idea that will result in all of us getting a voucher that will not pay for the healthcare we need. Its just an idea by a certain political faction to take more and more away from middle classes and the poor. The sad thing is some people will stand still for it. I won't.

Last edited by markg91359; 03-05-2017 at 10:50 PM..

Old 03-06-2017, 12:47 AM

538 posts, read 283,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Has anyone ever watched the TV ads offering all sorts of things free for those on Medicare? Maybe there should be some at least overseeing of what and costs of things available through Medicare.
You mean your free, pain-relieving knee brace?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or