Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:53 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times

Advertisements

I suspect some people who find AARP is too "liberal" will rally behind their shield if that's all that stands between us and Medicare and Social Security privatization. If you don't like AARP, don't join. Feel free to enjoy their work on our behalf, however. And always remember: "Keep the government out of my Medicare!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I'm sure. I don't. I don't trust him and I don't believe him.

I don't either, really. The man worries me no end.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:18 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Has anyone ever watched the TV ads offering all sorts of things free for those on Medicare? Maybe there should be some at least overseeing of what and costs of things available through Medicare.

You mean the one with "younger" looking man and wife where the husband says "are we ready for AARP?". The implication IMHO being they are both still rather "young" (and certainly look it in the commercial), and thus the husband questions the need for joining something associated with old people. *LOL*

Then it comes; all those benefits like discounts on concert tickets and travel.....Things likely to appeal to the new "Fifty is the new Thirty) crowd or whatever.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:27 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
I got a solicitation in the mail from AARP asking for money to fight the fight.

THey need to disentangle themselves from the insurance lobbies before I will give them money.

But yah - fight that fight.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:47 PM

496 posts, read 553,137 times
I don't have any interest in AARP - I get better insurance through my former employer, and better travel discounts via credit cards - but I can understand why they've changed their image. They want customers for the long term.

Back when my late parents were Old Folks in their fifties and sixties, AARP magazine covers used to feature dumpy people who looked like they could barely get out of their rocking chairs (and made my slim, active parents look young by comparison). Not a great way to stay in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You mean the one with "younger" looking man and wife where the husband says "are we ready for AARP?". The implication IMHO being they are both still rather "young" (and certainly look it in the commercial), and thus the husband questions the need for joining something associated with old people. *LOL*

Then it comes; all those benefits like discounts on concert tickets and travel.....Things likely to appeal to the new "Fifty is the new Thirty) crowd or whatever.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:19 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Am I the only one thrilled to see my AARP dues going to that great ad holding The President's feet to the fire about making no changes to Social Security and Medicare? Money well spent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I hate AARP.
Stealing money from children to give to old folks.
I say this as an old fart of 68.4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Typical scare the old people campaign. AARP should change their name to FTFOP. Free things for old people.

I will always vote for the common good and not for what's in it for me. Medicare and SS need fixed. If I get a little less or pay a little more doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things.
+1. I'm 62 and feel the same way. AARP is just another special interest lobby with no regard for the greater good. They're militantly against younger generations, and conveniently overlook the impact their views have on others.

Soc Sec and Medicare are going to bankrupt us as is, and just expecting our children and grandchildren to pay more and more for benefits they'll never see isn't fair either. Of course folks already relying on entitlements can't be cut off, but we have to find some middle ground, where the sacrifice is shared across generations. Sudden changes could cause chaos so I suspect changes will have to be phased in, laid out well in advance, so folks can plan accordingly.

Last edited by Midpack; 03-05-2017 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-05-2017, 10:48 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. I'm 62 and feel the same way. AARP is just another special interest lobby with no regard for the greater good. They're militantly against younger generations, and conveniently overlook the impact their views have on others.

Soc Sec and Medicare are going to bankrupt us as is, and just expecting our children and grandchildren to pay more and more for benefits they'll never see isn't fair either. Of course folks already relying on entitlements can't be cut off, but we have to find some middle ground, where the sacrifice is shared across generations.
Of course AARP is a special interest lobby, it's so us seniors have some skin in the game when all the corporate lobbies are seducing the politicians with campaign donations & promises of board positions for their relatives & themselves when they retire. SS & MC can be fixed without bankrupting future generations & that's where the middle ground will be found, but the "sacrifice" can't be "shared" on the shoulders of society that has already donated, worked & is now elderly & getting sick.

I understand that Trump has promised that he wouldn't touch SS or MC for current or soon-to-be recipients, I hope he means it since every other thing out of his mouth has no basis in reality (today: "Obama bugged me" ) Trump also has a clear record here in NYC of making promises & signing contracts & then when he gets his results, eg., a building, he uses armies of lawyers to negate the contracts & renegotiate lesser payments to those who were expecting in good faith what was promised.

Trump & Ryan should be barbequed regularly on TV ads since they have clear records on how they operate & we seniors need to watch them like a hawk.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:05 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I hate AARP.
Stealing money from children to give to old folks.
I say this as an old fart of 68.4.
I LOVE AARP. Best $10 a year (or whatever it is) you could spend.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:26 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I suspect that Medicare will be pushed back to the states so seniors will have to move to where they can get the best benefits. Not a good deal.

However, in my experience with Medicare providers, the system needs to be cleaned up and rationing needs to stop. Last fall one provider was attempting to force me into having tests done which I knew were not necessary as I only need my annual medical supplies approved for Medicare. The tests and unnecessay new equipment would costs over $5,000. The provider was using really strong armed tactics to get me to go along with them. Eventually, I told them that I had contacted Medicare and wanted to know why they felt the new tests and equipment were medically necessary. Those "medical necessity" words seemed to do the trick and my annual supply verification was sent on. From now on, I will use those words to avoid wasting tax payer dollars. Medicare providers need to have the swamp drained as well so that the remaining honest ones can do their job for a fair payment.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:29 AM

888 posts, read 890,022 times
Well I don't own a television (that's for rich folks) and I'm not a member of AARP (and never will be a member, no brag, just promise). But if I happened to be over someone's house and an AARP television ad came on, it would be a great opportunity for me to go to the bathroom or take them up their offer of snacks on the kitchen table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement