U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 08:03 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Clearly you don't have children who only text.
Exactly. Texts, even texts with just emoticons, keep me in touch with my grandkids. I see something interesting, I snap a pic and text it to them. It's working out well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 08:13 AM

21,873 posts, read 23,142,854 times
Smartphone and tablet have allowed our son to keep in touch with us (and his grandparents, who each have smartphones) while he has been out of the country. When I was a child and we lived overseas for several years, there was taking pictures, having them developed and sending them overseas. My mother did not see or actually speak with her parents the entire time. Now we can video-chat. Cool! And at no additional cost.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 AM

7,576 posts, read 2,223,704 times
I am not fearful of technology, but find most of it more time wasting and have no patience for that. For example, I wanted a camera. So I received one as a present and was very excited to use it.

It came with a 117 page manual, a battery charger, a chip. I had to charge it, was ready to use it but realized I had hook it up the computer to download stuff, re-something or other, update the thingy ... etc.

I put it back in the box.

Seriously. I want something that WORKS out of the box. Not something that I have to spend hours preparing so THEN it might work. And then I have to perpetually update it/charge it/hook up to the computer every five seconds for updates.

Give me a camera with batteries and film. Simple, useful and easy to operate. Doesn't waste my time. Most technology is a perpetual timewaster because it always needs attention to work properly.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
My 81 year old grandmother only has a flip phone. She does use it occasionally and for emergencies. No computer or other modern electronic device. She only got an LED TV recently when the old tube died and aunt went shopping with her.

Aunt manages a lot of her finances and affairs electronically.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:20 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
newtovenice-Get a pocket digital camera. It runs on AA batteries and takes memory cards, which come in it. . You view your photos on it's screen and then hook a small cable to your computer to view, download, post on a website, or email photos to others. Mine is a Canon PowerShot A480, older model, and cost less than 200 dollars at Wal-Mart a few years ago. Love it and can view all my photos anytime. It also has a video camera in it! I take it walking, cycling, everywhere. Easy peasey!

Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
I am only in my 40s but decided to read this thread because of my septugenarian parents' differing approaches. My mother is like OP, she would probably be happy to draw water from a well and stoke a wood stove (forgive the hyperbole) whereas my father has always been an early adopter of new technologies.

He was a Ham radio/electronics enthusiast in the 60s and 70s, owned a few early electronic calculators and typewriters, bought his first personal computer in 1981, and even bought video game consoles in the 80s, not because he was an avid video game player, but because he wanted to understand/experience the new technology.

I occupy a middle ground. I see the utility of a smart phone as it gives me access to information I need for work and recreation (easier than carrying a book) wherever I am, but I don't like the idea of digital assistants like Siri or the Amazon one that "listen" to you. I don't like intrusion or loss of privacy which are a concern with new technologies. I am willing to adapt to new things as long as it is on my terms and under my control.

And I like texting. It is, in some small sense, a return of letter writing. I take pains to compose and convey readable messages in the limited short format, never "text speak".

Old 02-16-2017, 09:58 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,630,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
on your other topic, laptop screens are "only marginally larger than smartphone screens"??? what?

That's not true at all. My 13-inch MacBook laptop screen is HUGE compared to a smartphone screen. And an 11-inch laptop screen is HUGE compared to a smartphone screen.
So , are you saying size matters or doesn't matter?

Old 02-16-2017, 11:34 AM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,854,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Clearly you don't have children who only text.
You're right - we don't have kids - but I have 6 siblings and many nieces and nephews.....and a 96 year old motherinlaw.

There are MANY ways to connect with them other than text.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 PM

21,856 posts, read 14,356,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I did not mean to exclude newer versions of older inventions like PC's. We have replaced our PC three times in the past 20 years.
You get to choose how you want to live. If you don't want a smartphone or other electronic device, then that is your choice. But I do think it is wise to adopt at least some of the newer technical things. I also understand about the cost of the things.

I can't tell you how hard it was to get streaming to work right in our house. Sometimes technology is a real bear. But, we chose to have the capability to stream movies, and we have chosen to adopt some other new technologies. We both love our smartphones!

But, this is your choice. I don't see any wrong or right here.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,854,709 times
I do think there's a price to pay if you do not have at least internet access. Because that world is moving toward less paper more online info - you lose out if you want information that's only available online if no internet.

In government we have to think about those that do not have that access and make certain we do voter information in printed form to their mailboxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or