U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 01:29 PM

983 posts, read 763,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I do think there's a price to pay if you do not have at least internet access. Because that world is moving toward less paper more online info - you lose out if you want information that's only available online if no internet.
Exactly! Dh and I live in a neighborhood that is geographically large - it covers hundreds of acres. We communicate with our neighbors via the neighborhood web site. Sure, we talk to people face to face, but on a stormy day, it's easier to put up a post that most people will see, rather than going door to door. People that don't "do" Internet, or that don't "do" social media miss out on this strong connection to the neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 01:36 PM

6,665 posts, read 1,377,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You get to choose how you want to live. If you don't want a smartphone or other electronic device, then that is your choice. I don't see any wrong or right here.
Wow, so many opinions!

I did not mean this thread to be a right vs. wrong kind of thread.. I think, like you and others have written, that people should do whatever works for them.

The main reason I posted this was to get an idea whether Retirement Forum posters think that living without Smartphones, etc. would even be "do-able" in another 20 years or so. I can't imagine that those of us who choose to do without all the gadgets would be FORCED to have them, in one way or another, but it seems to me that this is where we're heading as a society. Of course, I could be wrong about that, so I was wondering what others thought about this.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has posted so far!

P.S. It does seem like more and more companies are "penalizing" people who don't have Smartphones, though, by only offering making some discounts available if you have an app from that company. It seems that this would bring on a whole avalanche of "junk texts" (if that's the correct terminology).

Also, as some of you have implied, I am "cheap" that I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a Smartphone and then hundreds more dollars in monthly bills, when I can get along fine without it! I would also think that a lot of retirees on limited budgets would feel that same way.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:43 PM

983 posts, read 763,231 times
"P.S. It does seem like more and more companies are "penalizing" people who don't have Smartphones, though, by only offering making some discounts available if you have an app from that company. It seems that this would bring on a whole avalanche of "junk texts" (if that's the correct terminology)."

Sure. If you download the Safeway app, you can get special discounts on certain groceries based on your purchasing history. I've opted to NOT install their app because I don't need their "suggestions" about what I should buy. And it's true - I suspect that I would wind up with an avalanche of junk texts...I am not giving Safeway my contact info for their spam/discounts.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:57 PM

547 posts, read 388,943 times
Remember that twenty volume hundred pound encyclopedia that was outdated two years after you bought it?
Well now you can carry it in your pocket.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:01 PM

23,650 posts, read 17,623,979 times
You can get along without technology, but it has made my life immensely better. Ten years ago, we had the first iPhone and comparatively crude phones.

I've done a good bit of traveling across the country, and enjoy pulling off the road, turning on Yelp, and finding a nice local spot to have dinner. If you're traveling and get lost, or just have to go through a detour through no fault of your own, trying to figure out where to go without a GPS, especially at night, is challenging.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:42 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,158,755 times
My comments in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Wow, so many opinions!

The main reason I posted this was to get an idea whether Retirement Forum posters think that living without Smartphones, etc. would even be "do-able" in another 20 years or so.

I am glad that you clarify your intention since the OP gave the impression that you want to continue to live in the 90's ;-)

IMO, people can choose whatever way that they want to live their life but sooner or later the inconvenience of not having a smartphone will 'force' the holdovers to change their minds.

I have had smartphones for a long time but rarely use texting feature because of my strong disliking of the tiny screen and tiny keyboard. In the last year or so, I have noticed that more and more businesses (banks, utilities, online accounts and even SS site at one time) require multi-factor authentication with text messages being the most common method. So I am now forced to receive text messages. I think I mentioned in another thread that I discovered pinger textfree app which worked with both my ipad and android nexus 7. I can use these tablets to receive and send text messages with the tablets. I also bought a bluetooth fullsize folding keyboad which works almost as good as my laptop keyboard.

P.S. It does seem like more and more companies are "penalizing" people who don't have Smartphones, though, by only offering making some discounts available if you have an app from that company. It seems that this would bring on a whole avalanche of "junk texts" (if that's the correct terminology).

If you want the discounts, you have to pay the 'price'. I don't see it as penalties. I was forced to open a facebook account to receive discounts & only use it for the discount purposes.

Also, as some of you have implied, I am "cheap" that I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a Smartphone and then hundreds more dollars in monthly bills, when I can get along fine without it! I would also think that a lot of retirees on limited budgets would feel that same way.

As smartphones become more and more common, they are quite cheap. If you don't care for the latest, greatest and just basic texting feature, web access and GPS, you can get older 3G phones for less than $30 (I paid ~$22 for my Motorola Droid Pro XT610 + $5 for an extra battery 2 years ago. Just checked ebay and it is now only $15!)

You also don't have to spend many hundreds of dollars monthly bills to use a smartphone. I have been using pagepluscellular prepaid ($10 for 100 minutes good for 120 days or about $2.5/month). Pageplus cellular is on Verizon network with excellent coverage everywhere. Since I only use my cellphones while travelling, I hardly use the minutes and have accumulated several thousands minutes or many GBs of data.

BTW, I also get free 200MB data per month on my ipad with T-mobile. This is for life with no string attached. I use 4G connection to access aviation website when wifi is not available while flying.

I learned a really cool free thing last week from my sister. She has accumulated thousands of free voice minutes with Pinger and use them to call my mother when she travels abroad. Pinger is voice over internet so as long as you have access to wifi, you can make a call to any number in any country.

There are many ways to earn free voice minutes on Pinger. The easiest with no string attached way is 'watching' videos. I just clicked on watch video (with the ipad muted ;-)) and let it plays while I do something else.

Yes, I am cheap and very proud of my cheapness ;-)

Old 02-16-2017, 02:44 PM

31,124 posts, read 13,643,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You can get along without technology, but it has made my life immensely better. Ten years ago, we had the first iPhone and comparatively crude phones.

I've done a good bit of traveling across the country, and enjoy pulling off the road, turning on Yelp, and finding a nice local spot to have dinner. If you're traveling and get lost, or just have to go through a detour through no fault of your own, trying to figure out where to go without a GPS, especially at night, is challenging.
Exactly! Not to mention gas buddy for finding cheap gas prices when you are traveling, or any one of a number of sites where you can price shop for motel/hotel rooms. And one of my favorites is "sigalert", it's a great app that shows accidents, road closures, traffic jams etc. I know google maps can do this too but sigalert is better. Oh yeah, and Groupon for restaurant discounts

Old 02-16-2017, 05:10 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,502,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Wow, so many opinions!

I did not mean this thread to be a right vs. wrong kind of thread.. I think, like you and others have written, that people should do whatever works for them.

The main reason I posted this was to get an idea whether Retirement Forum posters think that living without Smartphones, etc. would even be "do-able" in another 20 years or so. I can't imagine that those of us who choose to do without all the gadgets would be FORCED to have them, in one way or another, but it seems to me that this is where we're heading as a society. Of course, I could be wrong about that, so I was wondering what others thought about this.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has posted so far!

This is true companies penalizing people,that don't have smartphones. Target is one of them. If a shopper doesn't have a phone to scan a coupon site called Cartwheel. Then they pay considerably more at the register. I'm not all that fond of Target anymore, so it doesn't impact me much. I rarely shop there.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:41 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,270,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
My comments in blue
You might want to look in to "whatsapp". We use it all the time for international travel, talk & text anywhere there is wifi. The real plus is the easy access to aquire your other "whatsapp" contacts.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:08 PM

419 posts, read 257,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
This is true companies penalizing people,that don't have smartphones. Target is one of them. If a shopper doesn't have a phone to scan a coupon site called Cartwheel. Then they pay considerably more at the register. I'm not all that fond of Target anymore, so it doesn't impact me much. I rarely shop there.
You don't need to have a smartphone to use Target's Cartwheel. I go to the site online, sign in, then print a bar code once I've made my selections of what I'm going to buy. When you are in the checkout line at the store, give them the paper to scan and all of the discounts will come off. I save lots this way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or