U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,536,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I never considered the TV remote as a luxury nor have I ever heard or seen a TV remote being considered as a luxury back when they first appeared....or ever. (plus a TV remote has always been dirt cheap)
Not always cheap. The original remote, Zenith Space Command, added 30% to the price of a TV, according to Zenith.

Had one when I was a kid. Clunky but effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 07:13 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,663,961 times
My ATT cell bill is $58 total a month. I get a 20% discount through DH's corporate account for family. We all have iPhones/ATT and texts are free in network with our son/SIL. I don't have a texting plan, which is $5 a month. After my Dad died and I was texting with my brother and sister, I was charged for each out of network text, but that didn't add to much over the $5, so I still don't have a text plan.

Pretty much everywhere I go has wifi so I never use the minimal data plan I have. I don't often use data when I'm out and about. DH has unlimited data with his work phone that can be used as a personal phone and he uses Waze when we take trips. We'll certainly miss these perks and will have to rethink our phones and technology when he retires.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-17-2017 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 07:20 AM

11,079 posts, read 12,458,603 times
Oh I love technology, and if I could afford it I would have a brand new 80" 4k tv, an iPhone 9, and new computer, laptop, tablet, self driving flying car, hoverboard, android, but I live within my means and the stuff I have is working just fine.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:21 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Some of the complaints and fears are downright asinine.

I saw someone complaining about a rear-view camera in a car. The camera allows you to see what is immediately behind the vehicle. Many have sensors/alarms that will go off if you get "too close" to an object. It is difficult in many areas to determine where the back end of your car is just off the rear view mirror. The camera allows you to see much more clearly, not only for inanimate objects, but also children or animals that are short and might not be able to be seen in the mirror.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:32 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,940,887 times
SC: Some people just like to complain.

I have a friend who complains all the time about the electronic and automatic stuff that came with his new Jeep Grand Cherokee. Stuff like push button start, electric window lifts, bluetooth, electric door locks, electric seats etc.

I think it just gives him something to talk about.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:15 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,368,911 times
Yes actually. My husband and I were talking about this . We are at about as far as we are going to go with this . I still have my laptop that I work and shop with sometimes and I am using it at the moment to help avoid homelessness and I still enjoy coding pretty fancy web pages - self taught . Our phones we use for pics , texts , talking , listening to music , We are not on messenger and won't be . Neither of us make excuses for not being tied to our phones either . Nor do we get our email or are glued to FB or T with them either. We are pretty much burned out . We use Skype sometimes but not often .

Old 02-17-2017, 08:31 AM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times
Thanks, Matisse, for going to the trouble to research all those articles. I read them all with great interest. I'm trying to understand this segment of society, or this trend, that I'm not a part of. I find the "pings" really annoying, so turn off the sound.

I have really wondered why social media has not grabbed husband or myself. I guess its fine for others, we just don't "get it". No desire for it. But we love our laptops and surfing the internet. Once in a great while we'll Skype and are very appreciative of that technology.

As has been pointed out numerous times, it would probably be different if we had kids. But, we don't have to, so we don't. I don't know where the phone is now, or if it's dead or alive.

As to the comparison to C-D, I barely notice reps (except to be impressed by others' accumulation) and rarely check them. That's not why I'm here. It IS sort of addictive, though, not sure why....

Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 AM

484 posts, read 478,276 times
New technology?? Overrated...

I still have a dial phone with a cord, answer every call to see who's calling (I especially love those friendly telemarketers), use paper maps to find where I'm going, get up to change the channels and adjust the foil on the antenna on my 12-inch black and white TV, crank down the windows in my '63 Ford Falcon, get out of the car to open my garage door, make popcorn on the stove, write letters and mail them, listen to records on my hi-fi, get my ice delivered by the iceman, go outside to see what the temperature is, etc.

Technology? Who needs it?

Old 02-17-2017, 09:52 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,940,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
New technology?? Overrated...

I still have a dial phone with a cord, answer every call to see who's calling (I especially love those friendly telemarketers), use paper maps to find where I'm going, get up to change the channels and adjust the foil on the antenna on my 12-inch black and white TV, crank down the windows in my '63 Ford Falcon, get out of the car to open my garage door, make popcorn on the stove, write letters and mail them, listen to records on my hi-fi, get my ice delivered by the iceman, go outside to see what the temperature is, etc.

Technology? Who needs it?
Do you pump your water in the kitchen, heat with wood, use the out house in the back yard, and bring in the chickens?

Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Do you pump your water in the kitchen, heat with wood, use the out house in the back yard, and bring in the chickens?
He's not going to get your message I think, better get out into the backyard & beat the message out on your drums (or hollow logs if the drums are too new tech).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or