U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,265,616 times

Advertisements

Gbpakrfan: excellent sarcasm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 10:36 AM

6,563 posts, read 1,348,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
New technology?? Overrated...

I still have a dial phone with a cord, answer every call to see who's calling (I especially love those friendly telemarketers), use paper maps to find where I'm going, get up to change the channels and adjust the foil on the antenna on my 12-inch black and white TV, crank down the windows in my '63 Ford Falcon, get out of the car to open my garage door, make popcorn on the stove, write letters and mail them, listen to records on my hi-fi, get my ice delivered by the iceman, go outside to see what the temperature is, etc.

Technology? Who needs it?
Not sure if you are joking or not -- although I am pretty sure you are because of the iceman, lol! -- but if you aren't, more power to you! (No pun intended!)

Seriously, though, my husband recently read an article that claimed -- I find this VERY hard to believe, btw -- that the average American walks about 50 years a day! Maybe everything you mentioned explains why!

Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,132,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
So perhaps all the "I hate smartphones " people are just protecting themselves from becoming an addict, subconsciously knowing they would become the slave they see so many others become.

It's more basic than that. People like that don't even understand the concept of becoming addicted to smart phones. People like that that are Luddites. They cannot or will not adapt to new technology and prefer to remain rooted in the 1950's.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:56 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,809,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
SC: Some people just like to complain.

I have a friend who complains all the time about the electronic and automatic stuff that came with his new Jeep Grand Cherokee. Stuff like push button start, electric window lifts, bluetooth, electric door locks, electric seats etc.

I think it just gives him something to talk about.
I complain about the fact that I lost the key to my Subaru. it just somehow slipped off the key ring. And now I discover that replacing a lousy key is $170---for a key!

And then there are the neat sensors on the wheels that have internal batteries that cannot be replaced. And so when the car reaches about 6 years old they start to die. They have to be replaced to the tune of $130 each or 520 bucks for something that is nice to have. Thank goodness I don't live in Rhode Island where they have to be replaced for state inspection. I understand that when this happens on a VW you have to replace the computer too since it won't recognize the new sensors, for an additional $1400.

Many of these gadgets are nice while they work. But replacing them when they break cost a huge amount of money. Of course if I was working and not on a fixed pension, maybe it wouldn't matter.

Maybe I just like to have something to talk about too.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:44 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,370,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
New technology?? Overrated...

I still have a dial phone with a cord, answer every call to see who's calling (I especially love those friendly telemarketers), use paper maps to find where I'm going, get up to change the channels and adjust the foil on the antenna on my 12-inch black and white TV, crank down the windows in my '63 Ford Falcon, get out of the car to open my garage door, make popcorn on the stove, write letters and mail them, listen to records on my hi-fi, get my ice delivered by the iceman, go outside to see what the temperature is, etc.

Technology? Who needs it?
While that doesn't sound so bad ( I was raised on a ranch in the 60's-70's ) I didn't think they even HAD ice men anymore . My phone is very smart but like I mentioned earlier up I don't use half of whats on there but it takes really fabulous pictures and the stereo on it is great .

Old 02-17-2017, 12:04 PM

11,933 posts, read 20,383,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Our T-mobile bill was $70 a month.... $10 of that was for the landline they grandfathered in for us to have.

If you don't text nor use your phone for internet you need to check out the T-mobile pay as you go program.

$3 a month. And you can refill when you want if you need more minutes/talk time.

Saving us a bundle every month.
Thanks! I'll look into that after we retire. We do use about a thousand minutes a month, and I do text with my family far away. Might not work for us.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 PM

31,015 posts, read 13,578,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But so what? City-data is also addictive...posting and seeing how long before you get a rep point!...and seeing exactly what it is for...and checking back in again!
Besides, you can shut off notifications and only check your phone when you want...not a big deal.
I agree and I'm not sure why we need to avoid this elevation of dopamine, that's what 'retail therapy' is all about, not to mention smelling a puppies breath.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:12 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,854,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Thanks! I'll look into that after we retire. We do use about a thousand minutes a month, and I do text with my family far away. Might not work for us.
Yah at .10 a minute after 30 minutes that's a bundle.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,854,709 times
Drawbacks to smartphones is that if you work for government - anything work related - texts, emails, etc. - is public record.

Another reason not to own a smartphone.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 PM

7,295 posts, read 15,345,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Drawbacks to smartphones is that if you work for government - anything work related - texts, emails, etc. - is public record.

Another reason not to own a smartphone.
Most people I know in that situation carry two phones, one solely for work and the other for only personal use and never mix the uses. Yes, carrying two phones is a pain, but it also means that when you leave work you turn off the work phone and don't turn it on again until you get to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or