U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 06:08 PM

7,312 posts, read 4,180,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I complain about the fact that I lost the key to my Subaru. it just somehow slipped off the key ring. And now I discover that replacing a lousy key is $170---for a key!

And then there are the neat sensors on the wheels that have internal batteries that cannot be replaced. And so when the car reaches about 6 years old they start to die. They have to be replaced to the tune of $130 each or 520 bucks for something that is nice to have. Thank goodness I don't live in Rhode Island where they have to be replaced for state inspection. I understand that when this happens on a VW you have to replace the computer too since it won't recognize the new sensors, for an additional $1400.

Many of these gadgets are nice while they work. But replacing them when they break cost a huge amount of money. Of course if I was working and not on a fixed pension, maybe it wouldn't matter.

Maybe I just like to have something to talk about too.

For my truck the cost is $43.90 per sensor, or $219.50 for all five sensors. This is for AC Delco OEM sensors that are compatible with the truck's TPMS module. And they have a 10 year battery. I'll replace them when I get new tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 PM

1,165 posts, read 654,140 times
I think we have saved ourselves a ton of money not upgrading every time something new came along. That was our first concern. The next was the time to learn all the new stuff. And I have to admit to not really liking any phone or email. We are pretty busy all the time. When I set my phone down invariably somebody calls and I'm chasing around trying to find it. I'll bet I get 35 calls a day between our 2 phone systems.

And I absolutely hate getting into the email. It's always more work and a lot of time problems and situations to be dealt with. Many many years ago I was in a hard situation with a person in my life back then who did a lot of dumb stuff. Phone calls back then meant someone on the other end was going to yell about something. I swear my heart beats faster when it rings. I never quite got over the stress of that experience.

When we're no longer working I believe I will feel freer to get some nice stuff and I will have more time to fool around with it and learn stuff. Right now it's just stressful. As soon as I learn one governmental website and it's many facets, they change all their addresses and softwear. I spent a half hour just this afternoon on the phone with someone in a county office just learning how to find their forms... and on the older system just last year I could go right to it. It isn't better now, just more complicated.

Do y'all find that as things get newer they also get more complicated? I'm really interested in what you think about that.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:27 AM

19,913 posts, read 18,921,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Drawbacks to smartphones is that if you work for government - anything work related - texts, emails, etc. - is public record.

Another reason not to own a smartphone.
Another reason for being retired.

I thought we were talking about older people--maybe over 75.

Reminds me of a few weeks ago at a friend's house. The four of us sitting around reading on our laptops.
Youngest was 72--oldest was almost 76. We all have smart phones too. This is average, ordinary people who are retired. The main difference between the older people and the kiddies is that the kiddies always have to upgrade and get the latest and greatest while the older people tend to stick with what they have until it doesn't work anymore. Plus the older people shop around, save up, read reviews, compare prices and strike while the iron is hot. Kiddies wouldn't even be bothered having this conversation about the most cost efficient plan or the most efficient phone for them. It's got to be about the latest and greatest.

And that is my stereotypical theory of the day, waiting only to be disproven, probably by someone's younger relative.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:48 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,774,465 times
For me, it depends on the technology. I love computers and if I could afford it, I'd have the latest anything and everything on my computer. My dream is a desktop with about 5 or 6 monitors. But with phones, I'm meh about them, who cares. I'm the type of person who can hear my phone ring, ignore it, and then forget it rang until I pick it up hours later.

I had a little flip phone I loved and then I lost it. So then I had to get a new phone. I ended up with a smartphone only because it was free. All I paid was shipping. And all I use it for is phone calls. And for an alarm, now that my alarm clock gave out. I have no apps or anything running on my phone. Interesting - a charge will last two weeks or longer. I also leave it home 99% of the time. Quite frankly, I don't want to be that accessible to people. And if it's good news on the phone, it can wait. If it's bad news, it can definitely wait.

Now car technology, well, I still miss window wells, but I love air conditioning and a sun roof. But I won't be driving a car without a CD player. I love paper maps of any kind and I know how to read them, so I don't need googlemaps. And I'd just as soon do without all the computer crap that comes in cars these days. I'm old school. I learned how to tell when my car was giving me warnings and when you've done that for 20 years, you start getting a feel for how long you can still drive it if you need to make the next gas station or get home. I also have the sense to check the tires, radiator, and oil on my own.

I hate to say it, but while I think the technology today is fine, I'm afraid what it's doing to people is making them incompetent at an awful lot of things. It's as if people had live-in cooks and never had to learn to cook themselves. Then when they do, they don't have a feel for the process and just follow the recipe exactly because they're afraid of screwing up. They never develop that instinct for doing for themselves. They're like people who never really learn to drive because they're either driving with no traffic around them or they drive only in stop and go commute traffic. If they get on a busy road, they have no idea how to handle other cars around them all going the same speed they are.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:59 AM

6,128 posts, read 2,555,017 times
I find it strange that you appear so resistant to modern technology, yet are such an engaged member on an internet forum. I dare say your computer is using plenty of post-1995 technology.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:05 AM

2,698 posts, read 1,637,760 times
My parents are 69 and 70 years old, respectively. They haven't given up on new technology... but they have given up on figuring out what they should get and why. They just ask me what to get.

I was the first to have a smart phone (for work) and they liked that they could access the internet on it while away from home if they had to. Gradually they figured out texting and using the camera. So they both have smartphones now and are happy with them.

For their home computer, they've stopped buying new computers and I end up giving them my old one when I upgrade every 3-4 years. All they do is email and play video poker online, so they don't need much.

TV's, stereos, etc, I get them what they need and try to find something that is easy and intuitive for them to use. When my parents bought a new home, it had a media room. They'd never had a projector, or surround sound, or anything like that, but my dad wanted everything set up so he could watch football in there and movies. So I picked out all their gear, but made sure that it didn't have a lot of extra bells and whistles that would only confuse them.

I upgraded their thermostats too. They were amazed that you don't have to manually switch from cooling to heating anymore, I bought them a programmable one where they can just set a temperature range, if it falls below the range the heat kicks on, if it goes above the range, the cooling kicks on, and they never have to touch it. They can even change the settings from their smartphone, but I figured that was unnecessary for them and didn't tell them LOL

Old 02-18-2017, 07:34 AM

18,471 posts, read 20,263,740 times
I personally like tech. Makes my life easier.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:54 AM

4,845 posts, read 1,999,503 times
IT certifications are obsolete ten minutes after you get them.
Windows 7 is a solid operating system like XP version 2 and 95.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:44 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,704,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Absolutely.

Back in my home state of Rhode Island, there is a 63 yo man, still working, who never did get a computer, and has just his landline phone. He has 2 jobs, a multitude of friends of all ages, a fully paid off house, a garden, and is very close to his family. He never did marry, but had a series of girlfriends when younger. He functions very well in society. He does have a TV, but it's an older one.

He is a frugal gent. Has zero trouble with doctor's appointments, finding his way to where he's going, or paying bills. He has never been on a computer, at work or at home. Yes, you can still live a good and full life without being connected electronically to anything!
That's interesting. The reason I asked was because I know people who claim they would never own a computer but still make a good deal of use out of public computers such as those in a retirement complex like mine or at the library. They may not own one but they use them just the same.To them it's like they are not using modern technology because they don't personally own anything run by it.

I could get along just fine without my computer but I don't want to. I got used to using them on the job and that carried over into my personal life. For me it's just like having a TV set or radio. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Plus I do a little writing and it sure makes it easier to compose, edit and create.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:25 AM

484 posts, read 480,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
He's not going to get your message I think, better get out into the backyard & beat the message out on your drums (or hollow logs if the drums are too new tech).
I actually borrowed my daughter's cell phone once...back when they first came out. It was so big and bulky, plus lots of static and dropped calls. I found I could do better with two tin cans and a string. Problem was, when I wanted to call someone from the car, I kept running out of string and couldn't drive very far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or