U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 02:31 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,313,328 times

Advertisements

In the 80's there was a popular term called Techno Peasant...

The divide continues to increase and many do decide to opt out.

For others there is little choice but to embrace if you want to keep your job...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 03:23 PM

5,954 posts, read 2,897,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
See, you are actually far more advanced than the drones / masses who think the are tech savvy.
Making different choices because of different values and preferences does not make someone far more advanced or tech savvy. thatdudebob might indeed more advanced or he might now, but we sure can't know that from the stated preferences on adoption of new technology.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:33 PM

5,954 posts, read 2,897,780 times
Quote:
SmartTVs ... that spy on you. While not (yet) a government controlled portal, technologically speaking, the Telescreen is here.

SmartCars - with black boxes that stream data to your insurance company. Hack or alter it to stop the stream and your insurance vastly raises your rate or even drops you.

Your bank .... hates paper. They hate having you come in to deal with a person or increasingly, even an ATM. They want you on line. Great for them, in terms of headcount reduction. Then, the Russians hack in and take your money. Maybe on a day of Pearl Harbor-esque cyber war, they not only take your money, they take down your bank. They take down all banks. Too big to fail?

Don't get me started on IoT.
This thread is morphing into a general technology paranoia soapbox.

You sound like my Mom. She has read about bank accounts being hacked, so to prevent this she refuses to do any online banking or bill paying, instead marching down to put mail with checks in her unlocked mailbox and putting the flag up to signal something is in there. I keep trying to explain to her that if they hack the bank they'll get into the server and steal/manipulate data, whether she paid by check or electronically doesn't matter since her checks just become electronic transactions in a roundabout way.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:53 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,313,328 times
I had a 90 year old Great Aunt that drove a perfect white Rambler.

Each month she would make the rounds and pay her bills... I offered to mail them but she said no...

One month I went with her and it was a kick... I'm not kidding, she was warmly welcomed at each stop... the Electric and Gas, Water, Telephone and then a stop at the market and one at the bakery... it was like one huge extended family and she kept a file with all her paid receipts...

It would not have been the same if she could no longer have that interaction... that goes for people that use the teller window, post office etc...

She was quite a lady and drove with driving gloves... even the Service Station knew her... it is something I have never forgotten....

Rotary phone, black and white TV for Lawrence Welk... she was a very happy independent 90 year old and when it is all said an done... why would you change anything?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:37 PM

7,261 posts, read 4,147,049 times
Quote:
SmartTVs ... that spy on you. While not (yet) a government controlled portal, technologically speaking, the Telescreen is here.

SmartCars - with black boxes that stream data to your insurance company. Hack or alter it to stop the stream and your insurance vastly raises your rate or even drops you.

Your bank .... hates paper. They hate having you come in to deal with a person or increasingly, even an ATM. They want you on line. Great for them, in terms of headcount reduction. Then, the Russians hack in and take your money. Maybe on a day of Pearl Harbor-esque cyber war, they not only take your money, they take down your bank. They take down all banks. Too big to fail?

Don't get me started on IoT.

The black boxes in cars record five seconds of data. In a crash, the last five seconds are preserved. It has to be downloaded by the manufacturer or someone else with the capability to analyze it. It is not streamed to your insurance company. At least one insurance comany lets you put a device with transmission capability in your OBD 2 port in exchange for a reduced premium, but that is totally voluntary.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:31 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,148,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Our society has become technology crazed. People can't wait to spend more and more money on it. And businesses think it's a great idea to replace their whole customer service department with robots.

My favorite is the phone-answering robot.

Robot: Hello!! What can I do for you today?

Me: I want to pay my bill.

Robot: Sorry, I didn't quite get that. Please explain in just a few words what you would like to do.

Me: PAY BILL PAY BILL PAY BILL.

Robot: I am sorry, let's try again. You can say things like "Pay by credit card," "Pay by debit card," "Pay by check."

Me: I want to PAY BY DEBIT CARD.

Robot: Sorry, I am still not understanding you. What would you like me to help you with?

Me: PAY BY DEBIT CARD DAMMIT.

Robot: Ok, I think I got it. You want to terminate your phone service, immediately. Is that correct?

Me: NO NO NO YOU IDIOT!!

Robot: Ok, your phone service is now terminated. We will be sending you a $500 termination fee. Have a nice day!
Many VR systems are terrible. They are cheapies. They only work if you speak like a radio announcer.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This thread is morphing into a general technology paranoia soapbox.

You sound like my Mom. She has read about bank accounts being hacked, so to prevent this she refuses to do any online banking or bill paying, instead marching down to put mail with checks in her unlocked mailbox and putting the flag up to signal something is in there. I keep trying to explain to her that if they hack the bank they'll get into the server and steal/manipulate data, whether she paid by check or electronically doesn't matter since her checks just become electronic transactions in a roundabout way.
So I'm not retired yet and I'm actually in tech.

I'm surprised you are unaware of the scandal involving unauthorized users "telemetry" being sent by TVs.

Regarding black boxes, even though I have an older vehicle, my insurance company continues to try and convince me to install one after market. No dice. New cars will increasingly give few choices regarding this matter.

Hacking of banking systems takes many forms. It's much harder to hack a DB than it is to do cybertheft from the user side via malware.

None of this is unknown. It's not paranoia.

And now, even though I held back regarding IoT ... here I go!!!

Did you know about what happened last October? It should have been front page news. A decent sized piece of the internet was shut down. The entree was via IoT with crap security (some of the cheapies have no security whatever).

The convenience of technology makes most users whistle past the graveyard, vis a vis the increased risks they unwittingly or in many cases, knowingly take.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I had a 90 year old Great Aunt that drove a perfect white Rambler.

Each month she would make the rounds and pay her bills... I offered to mail them but she said no...

One month I went with her and it was a kick... I'm not kidding, she was warmly welcomed at each stop... the Electric and Gas, Water, Telephone and then a stop at the market and one at the bakery... it was like one huge extended family and she kept a file with all her paid receipts...

It would not have been the same if she could no longer have that interaction... that goes for people that use the teller window, post office etc...

She was quite a lady and drove with driving gloves... even the Service Station knew her... it is something I have never forgotten....

Rotary phone, black and white TV for Lawrence Welk... she was a very happy independent 90 year old and when it is all said an done... why would you change anything?
I still pay certain bills face to face with a live check:
- I walk. It's a wonderful way to get exercise and fresh air.
- No postage process. Minimal carbon foot print.
- Very low probability of ID theft.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The black boxes in cars record five seconds of data. In a crash, the last five seconds are preserved. It has to be downloaded by the manufacturer or someone else with the capability to analyze it. It is not streamed to your insurance company. At least one insurance comany lets you put a device with transmission capability in your OBD 2 port in exchange for a reduced premium, but that is totally voluntary.
Um, yeah, every black box in every car, and every insurance company.

In the case of mine, if a voluntary after market install, or, it came with the vehicle, they take constant data feeds in order to establish your miles driven. Among other things.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:57 PM

Bedtime reading:

https://epic.org/privacy/edrs/EPIC-C...ov-18-2015.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or