U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,782,237 times

Advertisements

Calling a halt to anything for me means I'm dead. I don't like to speak in such absolutes. Someone might call a halt to electronics but then later discover one they could really find useful. Never put limits on your options.

Last edited by Minervah; 02-15-2017 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: fixing typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 01:13 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,272,962 times
I fought getting even a simple flip phone for the longest time.
Part of it was work reasons, when I was off I didn't want them to get in contact with me to go **** on fires..
Part of it was that I was pretty much a homebody so if I was off work I was home..
Another part was I'm pretty much a cheapo and didn't want the extra expense..

I have a smart phone now, completely cut the landline. I like my Smartphone.
It's in no way the top of the line and it's not the smartest smartphone..
I like being in contact when need be, I like to connect online and also the games when I'm waiting long periods in doctors offices and other places.. I have a no frills no contract unlimited plan that cost me 50 dollars a month and I've spent money on much worse..

I like computers, not enough to keep buying them when they get upgraded..
My current Laptop is great, bought last year for a great price, 8g RAM and 1 TB HD is much more then I need for my usage..
I'll have it until it dies, and I may add I was happier with an older version of windows..

My good Friend is 76 years old, he's a stubborn old German and was pressured into a Galaxy upon renewing his contract last year. He has no desire to own a computer. (I tried to give him a cheap tablet last year) He has not the patience to learn. We meet up every Friday for some volunteer work we both do, hands me his phone and says it's doing it again (updating) I tried to show him to just hit OK or Accept and he just simply is either playing dumb or he seriously just does not understand..

In my opinion it's ok for an older person not to embrace or even accept technology..
If they want to learn or see the benefits of some of it, GREAT!! If not it's their choice

Old 02-15-2017, 01:20 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,168,121 times
My comments and questions in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

My husband and I are only in our early 60's, and we do not have a "smart" anything -- no SmartTV, no SmartPhone, and no IPad Basically, anything invented after about 1995*

Why such an aversion to technology or anything invented after about 1995? Is this the year that you stopped buying things? If your old CRT TVs die, are you going to refuse to buy a flat screen LCD or LED TV? LED light bulbs did not become affordable until about 5 years ago? Are you still trying to hang on to your incandescent or fluorescent lights?

Technologies have brought us many new and wonderful things in the last 20 years in all areas medical, transportation, communications etc. and not just personal electronics. Are you going to refuse accepting new medicines, buying cars with all the new safety features etc. just because they are invented after 1995?

If there are some new inventions or toys that you don't need, you don't have to buy them. I just don't understand your decision to put a HALT on acquiring technologies invented after a certain date like 1995!

I am particularly interested if any of you know of anyone who does not have a personal computer, and if they are able to get along without it.

How did you go online and post at CD forum without having access to an electronic device like a computer? Sure, one can get along without owning or having access to an electronic device but I don't think that there are many people in the US young or old who are living like a hermit and don't want any contact with the rest of the world.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:23 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,027,898 times
Only if its bad or useless technology. Such as so-called "smart phones", which are lousy phones and even worse as a computing device.

But I'm happy to upgrade my desktop. And I don't mind at all inheriting my son's laptops when he upgrades. I still have my EEE PC "netbook", it still runs Vista, and it is still head and shoulders better than a "tablet" - and doesn't require me to "register" it, forcing me to get a google mail account to do so. Which "smart" phones also force you to do (Android ones at any rate).

Tablets killed the netbook, despite the fact that a netbook has 10 times the functionality and 1% of the security/privacy issues of a tablet. When mine finally dies I will move to the smallest laptop I can find. There is just no purpose to a tablet. In order to make it usable, you need a real keyboard and mouse, one or both of which may have to be bluetooth given the dearth of extra USB ports. And you would need a clamshell or other hard case to protect it from damage so you can safely toss it in a backpack, briefcase, or even in the back seat of your car. By the time you do all that, you might as well have just gotten a small laptop to start with, so I just cut out all the intervening bother and get what is actually useful to start with - an actual, real computing device aka a laptop.

I'm good with a Roku so I can stream to my TV. I used to have it hooked up to one of my old computers but it went belly up and I decided after 10 years it had done its duty - so, the Roku. I'd prefer a computer, but its not really cost-effective unless I happen to come across an "extra" again, or if I decide to fix the old one after all (probably not).

I don't want to computerize my house. I know how to use a light switch, and a simple mechanical timer takes care of anything that needs to come on or go off at particular (or even random) times.

I wanted a BB-8 until I found out that it would only work with a cell phone app. So no BB-8 for me. (that's the little round robot in the new Star Wars flick).

Basically if its useful, I'm for it. If its the latest i-Phone that doesn't even have a headphone jack - no freakin' way.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:37 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,782,237 times
I am particularly interested if any of you know of anyone who does not have a personal computer, and if they are able to get along without it.

There are people in my senior complex who don't have computers but when they feel the need to use one there is a media room and library in the building where they can use the computers that are there.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,948,900 times
Quote:
If so, how did that work out for you?

My husband and I are only in our early 60's, and we do not have a "smart" anything -- no SmartTV, no SmartPhone, and no IPad Basically, anything invented after about 1995*, we just don't have and don't want. Neither my husband nor I have EVER sent or received a text message.

I am wondering if any of you have done the same thing, and how it has worked out for you. I am particularly interested if any of you know of anyone who does not have a personal computer, and if they are able to get along without it. I suppose I am wondering if anyone knows of someone about 80 years old or older who is still living on their own without ANY modern technology and doing fine. (And, if so, where do they live?)

*We do have a senior "Jitterbug" phone, but we hardly ever use it; we just keep it in our car for emergencies.
I used to have a smart phone but got tired of carrying around a constant stream of advertising. It's bad enough on my home computer but I don't need 24/7 ads that I carry with me.

I took it to the gun range and found that 22LR does a nice job puncturing thru.

I do have friends that have every electronic device known to man but strangely never answer their phone.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:44 PM

21,882 posts, read 23,251,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Only if its bad or useless technology. Such as so-called "smart phones", which are lousy phones and even worse as a computing device.

But I'm happy to upgrade my desktop. And I don't mind at all inheriting my son's laptops when he upgrades. I still have my EEE PC "netbook", it still runs Vista, and it is still head and shoulders better than a "tablet" - and doesn't require me to "register" it, forcing me to get a google mail account to do so. Which "smart" phones also force you to do (Android ones at any rate).

Tablets killed the netbook, despite the fact that a netbook has 10 times the functionality and 1% of the security/privacy issues of a tablet. When mine finally dies I will move to the smallest laptop I can find. There is just no purpose to a tablet. In order to make it usable, you need a real keyboard and mouse, one or both of which may have to be bluetooth given the dearth of extra USB ports. And you would need a clamshell or other hard case to protect it from damage so you can safely toss it in a backpack, briefcase, or even in the back seat of your car. By the time you do all that, you might as well have just gotten a small laptop to start with, so I just cut out all the intervening bother and get what is actually useful to start with - an actual, real computing device aka a laptop.

I'm good with a Roku so I can stream to my TV. I used to have it hooked up to one of my old computers but it went belly up and I decided after 10 years it had done its duty - so, the Roku. I'd prefer a computer, but its not really cost-effective unless I happen to come across an "extra" again, or if I decide to fix the old one after all (probably not).

I don't want to computerize my house. I know how to use a light switch, and a simple mechanical timer takes care of anything that needs to come on or go off at particular (or even random) times.

I wanted a BB-8 until I found out that it would only work with a cell phone app. So no BB-8 for me. (that's the little round robot in the new Star Wars flick).

Basically if its useful, I'm for it. If its the latest i-Phone that doesn't even have a headphone jack - no freakin' way.
All well and good if you don't leave the house.

My smartphone and tablet have been very useful when I'm away from home - whether for errands/business or travel.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:26 PM

9,333 posts, read 8,406,951 times
Quote:
If so, how did that work out for you?

My husband and I are only in our early 60's, and we do not have a "smart" anything -- no SmartTV, no SmartPhone, and no IPad Basically, anything invented after about 1995*, we just don't have and don't want. Neither my husband nor I have EVER sent or received a text message.

I am wondering if any of you have done the same thing, and how it has worked out for you. I am particularly interested if any of you know of anyone who does not have a personal computer, and if they are able to get along without it. I suppose I am wondering if anyone knows of someone about 80 years old or older who is still living on their own without ANY modern technology and doing fine. (And, if so, where do they live?)

*We do have a senior "Jitterbug" phone, but we hardly ever use it; we just keep it in our car for emergencies.
So you are posting online using a 22 year old desk top computer? Using dialup?

Old 02-15-2017, 04:25 PM

6,970 posts, read 1,478,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
How is it that you are posting on the internet?

Just curious. If all this went away tomorrow I would be fine with it but there would be some sad young folks who wouldn't know what to do.
We have the Internet and use e-mail, but that is it except for office software (Xcel and Microsoft Word). My husband also does gaming (World of Warcraft and solitaire), while I will occasionally play Internet Checkers.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:26 PM

6,970 posts, read 1,478,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
No. My MIL at 87 was using a computer and smart phone. She did not become a smart phone zombie, nor has my wife (64) or me. Being addicted and disconnected from the real world is a problem with the people not the tech. But plenty of older folks do fine without smart anything or a computer. My father is 77 and has a basic phone and no computer, as does my step sons 88 yo grandmother. But both of them are immigrants with very basic education and abilities. Plus my fathers fingers are so large and arthritic, there isn't a smart phone or computer keyboard made that he could use if he wanted to. He can't use a mouse.
THIS (bolded). My problem is that I have "sausage fingers", and I know that I could not type using a touch keypad. I tried using one at a hair salon to check in, and the receptionist had to do it for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or