U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 05:50 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,442,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Meh, I don't know that its any stronger than the sentiment of those that indignantly (and haughtily) insist they avoid technology.
I don't see any haughtiness and indignant posts, maciesmom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 05:57 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Part of the sad irony of older folks ''getting out and about'' for social interaction is that more and more the people ''out there'' are zombied out on a phone or ipod or what not and there is no one to interact with at the store, the salon, the park, the gym, the bike trail, the school, the theater, ETC.
Yesterday I went to the park with 2 small dogs. Passed walkers, joggers, cyclists, people on benches just sitting. All ''connected''. Not one reacted to a smile, a wave, a little dog coming up to them on the path. It's almost like ''The Twilight Zone''. I am really tired of it.

I take my chocolate lab to the park three times a week and hang out with a group of fellow retirees. Most, if not all, have computers and smart phones. We leave the phones in our pockets or purses when we're at the park. For us, it's a time to converse and play with our dogs. We also meet every Saturday morning for breakfast. Again, the phones stay in our pockets or purses.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
If so, how did that work out for you?

My husband and I are only in our early 60's, and we do not have a "smart" anything -- no SmartTV, no SmartPhone, and no IPad Basically, anything invented after about 1995*, we just don't have and don't want. Neither my husband nor I have EVER sent or received a text message.

I am wondering if any of you have done the same thing, and how it has worked out for you. I am particularly interested if any of you know of anyone who does not have a personal computer, and if they are able to get along without it. I suppose I am wondering if anyone knows of someone about 80 years old or older who is still living on their own without ANY modern technology and doing fine. (And, if so, where do they live?)

*We do have a senior "Jitterbug" phone, but we hardly ever use it; we just keep it in our car for emergencies.
You are in for a shock if you start shopping for a new car.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:15 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,854,200 times
When my Dad was 80 he announced that he was finished keeping up with technology. He had actually made his first computer back when people did that.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:29 PM

19,827 posts, read 18,832,665 times
I received my new smart phone today and I am totally zonked. If you know what I mean. Trying to figure it out, wanting it to work the way I want it to.
Tomorrow I'm going to T-Mobile and THEY can get it working right. It's like a car--I have no interest in fixing it or in how it works but I do want to use it.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 PM

13,645 posts, read 8,559,902 times
Quote:

My husband and I are only in our early 60's, and we do not have a "smart" anything -- no SmartTV, no SmartPhone, and no IPad Basically, anything invented after about 1995*, we just don't have and don't want. Neither my husband nor I have EVER sent or received a text message.

I am wondering if any of you have done the same thing, and how it has worked out for you. I am particularly interested if any of you know of anyone who does not have a personal computer, and if they are able to get along without it. I suppose I am wondering if anyone knows of someone about 80 years old or older who is still living on their own without ANY modern technology and doing fine. (And, if so, where do they live?)

*We do have a senior "Jitterbug" phone, but we hardly ever use it; we just keep it in our car for emergencies.
No.

In fact, when I was 69 I built my first computer. I am using it now!

iPhone, Echo, Kindle, computer..... I use them all and intend to keep up in years to come. My college student grandson even brought me his computer to clean up and de-bug.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:57 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,723,664 times
Quote:

I can't imagine this. I plan on trying to understand new technology as long as I can. There is so much out there changing I feel as if I would moss put on something. My mom is going to be 80 and is the same. She struggles with a lot, but never gives up. I admire that.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:19 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,505,046 times
I can't imagine life without the internet, much less other technologies. They have enrichened my life in so many ways and frankly have become a necessity. Communication, finances, shopping, information, socialization, entertainment, education...etc.
It is not my sole means to these things, but certainly is the majority. I guess some people don't know enough to know ''what they don't know''.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:27 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Who said they don't use the internet? Just a couple or even just one really elderly person aged 90 who someone else mentioned and a few in society who have little interest......

I didn't know use of the internet was included in this thread and conversation at all.

People can easily use the internet without keeping up with all the new devices.....so I don't understand your point.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:32 PM

21,838 posts, read 14,349,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The wife and I try to stay on top of tech. We are both in our 60's.

Here's what should scare the people that what to hold on to old tech. Not knowing how to use new tech stuff is very similar to living in the US and not speaking English. There's a whole other language/world out there you non tech people don't know it.

Being literate in computers is a major life improvement when it comes to shopping, paying bills, research, entertainment and much more. My first computer was $4500 dollars back in the 80's but the one I'm using now was $220 from Walmart. Computers have gotten so cheap that we now have 6 laptops all for different purposes.

Smart phones, we just went from flip phones to smart phones just a year or so ago. I would not go back to a dumb phone. The dumb phones can only test and make voice calls. Our smart phones can do voice, text, voice to text, internet which allows E-mail, video, video recording (over an hour) audio recording, camera, games, etc. And the big surprise to us was that the smart phones were only $10 a month more the flip phones.

IMO tech is here to stay and if a person doesn't learn it the world passes you by.
I agree. I think some people are actually fearful of technology, for some reason.

We have smartphones, computer, and I use an Ipad mini. We do not see the need for Alexa, however, or hooking our home up to the internet so we can control settings remotely. So, we sort of have drawn the line. But we do enjoy streaming movies.

You know, the TV remote was considered a luxury at one time. But now, we can't get along without it. Same goes for newer electronics. Especially smartphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or