U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 12:15 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,450,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Wow..that's pretty harsh! I keep in touch with my friends and family with my phone, computer and tablet. I feel more connected to them using skype than talking on the phone.
2sleepy, you must not understand what I am saying. What i said is not harsh at all.

I have a very up-to-date Apple MacBook Air laptop, an iPad, and a Kindle.

I've used computers extensively since 1987, and have always had up-to-date desktop computers and laptop computers at home. Plus my career required extensive use of computers.

Your response to my statement makes no sense to me. It doesn't even respond to what I said in that post.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-16-2017 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by matisse12
It has been proven that the constant checking/use of a smart phone as if an appendage is because dopamine is sent to the brain upon every notification

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Source?
(Just imo, this would be really cool if actually "proven".)
biscuitmom, I will provide you sources tomorrow. It is all over the literature. I have read tons of articles stating such.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:27 AM

10,817 posts, read 8,063,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
2sleepy, you must not understand what I am saying. What i said is not harsh at all.

I have a very up-to-date Apple MacBook Air laptop, an iPad, and a Kindle.

I've used computers extensively since 1987, and have always had up-to-date desktop computers and laptop computers at home. Plus my career required extensive use of computers.
You came over as harsh re smartphones, I'm not 2sleepy, just saying.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
biscuitmom, I will provide you sources tomorrow.
Please do! I'll check back.
Presumably these "sources" distinguish between those who check tablets, laptops, kindles, etc., right? It's just smartphones that increase dopamine levels?

Old 02-16-2017, 12:32 AM

biscuitmom, are you saying you do not believe it? Anyone who does any reading would have seen in articles and literature that the brain is rewarded by the constant use of the smartphone including dopamine at every notification and every message received, and results in addiction.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Are you saying you do not believe it? Anyone who does any reading would have seen in articles and literature that the brain is rewarded by the constant use of the smartphone including dopamine at every notification and every message received, and results in addiction.
I don't believe for one nanosecond your proposition that use of tablets, kindles, laptops, etc. are inherently different from use of smartphones. Awaiting your "sources".

Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 AM

biscuitmom, I'm curious, why do you think that millions of people are walking around staring at their phones in their hands with heads bowed staring at their phones all day, and at almost all times, and find it very difficult to put it down at any time.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-16-2017 at 01:09 AM..

Old 02-16-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
biscuitmom, I'm curious, why do you think that millions, if not billions, of people are walking around staring at their phones in their hands with heads bowed staring at their phones all day
A screen is a screen is a screen, no matter the size. Kindle and laptop screens are only marginally larger than smartphone screens, all connect to the internet and allow social interaction. Yet you ignore the millions* or billions* whom you claim are staring at their ebooks or laptops. While you insist on singling out smartphones?
*Cite and link your sources.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:27 AM

on your other topic, laptop screens are "only marginally larger than smartphone screens"??? what?

That's not true at all. My 13-inch MacBook laptop screen is HUGE compared to a smartphone screen. And an 11-inch laptop screen is HUGE compared to a smartphone screen.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-16-2017 at 01:50 AM..

Old 02-16-2017, 02:10 AM

7,116 posts, read 8,156,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am particularly interested if any of you know of anyone who does not have a personal computer, and if they are able to get along without it.
Absolutely.

Back in my home state of Rhode Island, there is a 63 yo man, still working, who never did get a computer, and has just his landline phone. He has 2 jobs, a multitude of friends of all ages, a fully paid off house, a garden, and is very close to his family. He never did marry, but had a series of girlfriends when younger. He functions very well in society. He does have a TV, but it's an older one.

He is a frugal gent. Has zero trouble with doctor's appointments, finding his way to where he's going, or paying bills. He has never been on a computer, at work or at home. Yes, you can still live a good and full life without being connected electronically to anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or