Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,573,462 times

Advertisements

I never considered the TV remote as a luxury nor have I ever heard or seen a TV remote being considered as a luxury back when they first appeared....or ever. (plus a TV remote has always been dirt cheap)

The few people who are not buying new devices still have a computer or iPad/tablet, and still use the internet - the topic is buying new devices.

The people not buying new devices will be dead soon. Their last worry in the world is the world passing them by just because they don't have a smart phone or stream movies.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-15-2017 at 10:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 09:41 PM

19,770 posts, read 9,319,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So you are posting online using a 22 year old desk top computer? Using dialup?
I did not mean to exclude newer versions of older inventions like PC's. We have replaced our PC three times in the past 20 years.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,125,067 times
If you want to live int the past, then you surely don't want any gadget that was invented since 1980. I respect that.

I've always been computer literate from the time I had a Sinclair Cambridge in 1977 to now. I do not have an iPhone, but my wife does, although she only knows how to use the photo part and the phone and text message part. APPARENTLY the OP has no grown children. If they did, they would have to text to them or they wouldn't talk to them.

I have a 2011 iMac that until recently was running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, from 2009. I was using a 11 inch Thinkpad from 2007 using Linux 14.04 Ubuntu. But that all changed when my H & R block program for the income taxes, would no longer accept Snow Leopard, and will never accept Linux, or the virtual PC of Windows XP on it for two programs that will NEVER ever e available for the Mac(I know the author personally).

And so I realized that the Linux while functional will never be in the mainstream, and always be at least 5-8 years behind the times. So I upgraded the iMac to El Capitan, and bought a new(to me, late 2013) portable Mac Book Pro. Its speed specs are just barely slower than the current 15 inch models, and certainly not noticeable by me, and I now run Mac OS Sierra on the laptop. My son in law is in the video editing business and he convinced me to get rid of my dsl connection and get a 15/2 connection from Cable.

I don't think I could survive where I live in downeast Maine without being up to date electronically. Although with the recent state of Washington, DC, and congress, sometimes I recently wish I didn't know as much as I do, and was blissfully ignorant.

There is certainly something to be said for blissful ignorance.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,573,462 times
Who said they haven't updated their computer since 1980?

Why all these straw men mentioned?

And what operating system you happen to be using on your MacBook or iMac is pretty irrelevant. I've had three different operating systems on my Apple MacBook Air laptop in just a couple years.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-15-2017 at 10:07 PM..

Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,566,162 times
Most of these ''devices'' access or use the internet as part of their function: smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc. That was my point. Just one example of a technology.

And maybe I'm ignorant, but I haven't seen a pc for sale anywhere in quite awhile. Just laptops. But I don't ''get out much'' by design...LOL

Old 02-15-2017, 11:33 PM

19,770 posts, read 9,319,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Most of these ''devices'' access or use the internet as part of their function: smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc. That was my point. Just one example of a technology.

And maybe I'm ignorant, but I haven't seen a pc for sale anywhere in quite awhile. Just laptops. But I don't ''get out much'' by design...LOL
Just FYI -- we just got our latest PC (yes, a desktop) two weeks ago at Best Buy.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:57 PM

42,832 posts, read 26,218,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
If so, how did that work out for you?

My husband and I are only in our early 60's, and we do not have a "smart" anything -- no SmartTV, no SmartPhone, and no IPad Basically, anything invented after about 1995*, we just don't have and don't want. Neither my husband nor I have EVER sent or received a text message.

I am wondering if any of you have done the same thing, and how it has worked out for you. I am particularly interested if any of you know of anyone who does not have a personal computer, and if they are able to get along without it. I suppose I am wondering if anyone knows of someone about 80 years old or older who is still living on their own without ANY modern technology and doing fine. (And, if so, where do they live?)

*We do have a senior "Jitterbug" phone, but we hardly ever use it; we just keep it in our car for emergencies.
Sure doesn't sound like much fun to me. Why in the world do you dislike technology, are you afraid the learning curve is too steep or what? I'm 70 and love technology, I have it all... smart phone with a 5" screen, PC, tablet, smart TV, you name it. My husband and I are both geeks.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 AM

42,832 posts, read 26,218,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It's interesting how many people feel the need to proselytize about technology, especially smart phones. The proselytizing is so strong.

They want to defend their investment and usage, and feel the need to try to convince others, but also themselves.

It has been proven that the constant checking/use of a smart phone as if an appendage is because dopamine is sent to the brain upon every notification, every noise, any time something is received, and there's the urgent looking & hoping for something to be received or to send, so it is definitely an addiction. All the people walking around staring down at their phones with heads bowed, and who cannot put the phone down even when in the company of others (often younger people the most) are hopeless addicts.

And the rampant 'selfies' are often narcissistically ridiculous. And I agree with Kevxu at his post #26.
Wow..that's pretty harsh! I keep in touch with my friends and family with my phone, computer and tablet. I feel more connected to them using skype than talking on the phone.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:10 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,523,341 times
I'm 68, DH is 66. Love our iPhones, Kindles, Firestick. I've got 2 chromebooks, a MacBook, and an iPad; I could easily ditch the latter two and get by with a chromebook. DH sticks with his Dell laptop. We recently bought a wireless laser printer, it's good too. We're addicted to the gps and other technology in our Subaru. I wear hearing aids, am ready to go with bluetooth on my next pair.
Facetime/Skype is the bee's knees. Seriously. Even more so if you're hearing impaired and/or are separated from loved ones.

In the early 1940s, my mom and grandmom had a huge falling out over installing and using a telephone. Grandmom thought it superfluous, complicated, and the end of civilized society as she knew it. I remember her still railing against it in the 1950s even as she used it to order groceries for delivery.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-16-2017 at 12:18 AM..

Old 02-16-2017, 12:15 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,523,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It has been proven that the constant checking/use of a smart phone as if an appendage is because dopamine is sent to the brain upon every notification
Source?
(Just imo, this would be really cool if actually "proven".)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement