U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:24 AM

6,706 posts, read 1,391,569 times

Advertisements

If so, how did that work out for you?

My husband and I are only in our early 60's, and we do not have a "smart" anything -- no SmartTV, no SmartPhone, and no IPad Basically, anything invented after about 1995*, we just don't have and don't want. Neither my husband nor I have EVER sent or received a text message.

I am wondering if any of you have done the same thing, and how it has worked out for you. I am particularly interested if any of you know of anyone who does not have a personal computer, and if they are able to get along without it. I suppose I am wondering if anyone knows of someone about 80 years old or older who is still living on their own without ANY modern technology and doing fine. (And, if so, where do they live?)

*We do have a senior "Jitterbug" phone, but we hardly ever use it; we just keep it in our car for emergencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:41 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,861,663 times
Well my two cents are keep them coming. I will gladly bet for that smart self driving car when I am 90.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:56 AM

2,712 posts, read 1,554,869 times
How sad to avoid new tech. Personally, I wait until I see the value for me. For example, I got a smart phone not for email, but for location based services - very handy. We stream video through multiple devices - chromecast, roku and amazon stick.

Amazon Echo? Don't see it for me yet, but that might change.

You are missing a lot, but your choice. If you're happy going without, then don't worry. But why ask what others do? Does it matter?

Old 02-15-2017, 06:58 AM

1,369 posts, read 772,256 times
Every Senior has a funny technology story. Here's mine......

I loved my old flip-phone (thank you Star Trek). One day, I took it back to Verizon to get a new battery and the young salesman said, "These new Smart Phones are great. You should get one." I let him talk me into a Samsung S4. What a disaster that thing is. There are some ergonomic issues with the placement of the touchscreen buttons that are laughably stupid -- that design should have never left the lab.

After about 3 months of butt-dialing.....I took it back to the VZ store to see if I could go back to my flip-phone. The same salesman looks at my Samsung and says, "Where'd you get this old phone ??"

The conversation went off the rails from that point forward.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:22 AM

983 posts, read 764,182 times
Why do you have such an aversion to modern technology, OP? I do not consider myself tied to my electronic devices, but they do make life easier.

I am not crazy about texting - I can only do it on my touch phone key pad, not on my computer key board. But I have a few friends that do it - that is *all* they do. So I text. Not a big deal.

My dh hadn't wanted to get a smart phone. He said we were just fine without them. But a few years ago we took the plunge. Last night I asked him if he wanted to give up the data - just go back to an old style cell phone. He said no - we don't use our phone data that much, but when we do, it's nice to have.

And cell phones, just for emergencies - it is so hard to find a phone these days. If I am at church, the doctors office, the auto shop - there are no phones for public use. They expect you to have a cell phone. Plus, you can only call out on them - if my dh is trying to reach me, he would have to wait until I got home much later in the day. No thanks. Why would I not want something that makes my life so much easier?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 AM

2,712 posts, read 1,554,869 times
Cell phone cameras have curious, handy uses. I like to research things before buying, and taking a picture of an item with its price is much easier than using a notepad. I've also taken pics of pages in a travel guide to use while walking about. The guide stays behind. Online maps (which can be downloaded and used offline) are a godsend in some places.

Smart TV, OTOH, are a gimmick. You can do much better with external devices, and not be subject to monitoring by the TV manufacturer or their "app" update schedule. "Convenience" has its price - monetizing of our lives.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:49 AM

890 posts, read 679,794 times
Gave up a television about 11 years ago and it was a good decision.

Avoided smart phones and stubbornly stayed with my Samsung Rubgy flip phone until it recently crashed. I finally decided to jump on the bandwagon with an iPhone 7 and I must admit, it's an amazing piece of communication equipment. It's made my business world much easier.

My interest in new technology stuff centers around how to make me able to do more business in the cloud. Personal stuff, I don't seem to be that interested yet but the final chapter has not yet been written.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:02 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,680,623 times
Years ago, one of my older co-workers kept waiting to get a computer. He kept researching and was afraid to commit as things were constantly changing. He still hadn't bought one by the time I retired. We worked on computer run machines but he was slow to accept any changes in software and technology, so this didn't surprise me. He was afraid to buy something that would be soon obsolete and it paralyzed him. Having no interest in technology is fine, but decisions or non-decisions based on fear are not.

The technology changes I saw over the years in my work and home life have been truly astounding. I've embraced many, but they are still a choice. Whether they add value to my life is my opinion. I've chosen a life of high tech and no tech mixed together that works for me. Finding balance is always the challenge.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-15-2017 at 08:19 AM..

Old 02-15-2017, 08:06 AM

37,186 posts, read 45,745,664 times
My husband had a smart phone, but hated it. He doesn't text or anything, so he went back to a flip phone, and he is fine with that.
I have an iphone and way underuse it, but i like that its there if i want to look something up, or text my kids. I hardly ever call anyone or recieve calls on it.
Like OP, though, we only upgraded after being forced to give up the old phones after they gave out. Otherwise we'd still have them.

I will give two thumbs up to our Smart TV. If you need to buy a TV, there is no reason not to buy the newest technology. It has been easy to use and it allows us the ease of watching Netflix and youtube, and things like that, without special equipment.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:11 AM

419 posts, read 258,257 times
Many older relatives of mine (75+) and their friends do not have computers, and they are living just fine. Most carry cell phones for emergencies. They cannot understand why anyone must constantly be looking down at a device when they are out and about. It is sad and funny at the same time to see some of these people who, while trying to stay in touch with those in their little phone bubble, are out of touch to those closest to them and their surroundings. My uncle calls them "idiot phones" because of how some are dominated by them. To these relatives of mine, constantly being tied to a phone defeats the purpose of going out and being a part of the world. I agree with them on this, which is why I never upgraded to a smart phone.

We still use our desktop because it is better for us all around. Fortunately, we never fell into that trap of constantly looking for the newest and greatest non-ending upgrades. Some people have wasted tons of money keeping up with things they probably didn't really need, but it was new and a little faster.

When Roku came out several years ago, we jumped on that right away because we saw the value in streaming. It has worked beautifully for us.

We like having a landline because of the quality and not having to constantly charge the phone. Plus, we have an old flip phone to take when leaving the house.

We are open to new technology that would actually be helpful to us, but we don't jump on it just because it's new and supposedly the best thing since sliced bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or