U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,635,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Then there is Medicare Advantage (Part C), which replaces Part A and Part B and often includes drug coverage (Part D). Some of the plans offer optional vision, hearing, dental, and other programs. They're offered through private companies. That's what I'll be signing up for when I leave the workplace in a few months. In fact, my general practitioner told me his clinic only accepts Advantage plans, so if I want to stay with them, I'll need to get Advantage. Usually Advantage means paying for Part B plus an additional charge.
BE very very careful you understand everything about them what is covered etc. I know too many people very unhappy with them, (especially UHC) and the lack of what they pay for.
Each state might be different and we live in one with limited offerings overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 08:18 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,696,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
BE very very careful you understand everything about them what is covered etc. I know too many people very unhappy with them, (especially UHC) and the lack of what they pay for.
Each state might be different and we live in one with limited offerings overall.
How are Advantage plans any different in this regard than the benefit packages you're offered to select from when you start work at a new company?

Old 02-20-2017, 08:28 AM

71,474 posts, read 71,652,652 times
They are not and that can be a problem with many of them .

Many are far more restrictive than traditional medicare and a supplement. There can be far more holes and things you pay for as you age.

With advantage plans most folks find nothing is a problem until it is a problem.

With the exception of kaiser plans which is not an option here there is no advantage plan we have seen which we would consider.

My buddy at work bragged for years as to how little he paid for his advantage plan.

That was until his wife got breast cancer. Chemo ran 4500.00 out of pocket. Hitting two out of pockets at the end of the year cost him 9k when treatment ran in to the next year.

She recently had leg issues and couldn 't walk. The rehab coverage was terrible on his

plan too. She was admitted to a home finally and now he has new issues.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They are not and that can be a problem with many of them .

Many are far more restrictive than traditional medicare and a supplement. There can be far more holes and things you pay for as you age.
So you have Parts A and B, and something else (a supplement -- what does that mean)? The Advantage plans look good on paper -- but I have low-grade prostate cancer as well as atrial fibrillation, so I'm looking for something that will provide good coverage for the long haul. Curious to know what plan(s) you ended up with, if you don't mind saying.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:12 AM

We have medicare , aetna for a drug plan and a high deductible f plan from humana.

We took a 2k deductible supplement since it cost 2k less than an f plan with no deductible.
An f plan picks up 100% of what medicare does not pay

The supplement picks up everything medicare does not . Medicare has lots of gotcha's they only pay part of .

Old 02-20-2017, 10:30 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If you are not paying into the system when you are healthy, the system does not want you to sign up just when you are becoming a taker. That would be the equivalent of only signing up for car insurance when you have a wreck. The penalty helps pay back for those omitted years.
After paying into the system for a lifetime who wouldn't want to file and get their benefits? This isn't a guy buying insurance after a wreck, this is a guy who intended to buy the insurance all along but just waited until he bought the car. Medicare acts as if you are required to acquire the insurance 3 months before you bought the car. If I chose to file later for whatever reason am I not saving the system from paying out earlier if I delayed?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:42 AM

Medicare wants your premium money if you are healthy and could otherwise opt out until you start to have issues.

You either pay premiums at 65 or pay a penalty forever later

Old 02-20-2017, 11:20 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
After paying into the system for a lifetime who wouldn't want to file and get their benefits? This isn't a guy buying insurance after a wreck, this is a guy who intended to buy the insurance all along but just waited until he bought the car. Medicare acts as if you are required to acquire the insurance 3 months before you bought the car. If I chose to file later for whatever reason am I not saving the system from paying out earlier if I delayed?
You can at least wait 3 months after you turn 65. That's the absolute latest and we did because we were originally going to be without part B and then we decided to take part B later, 3 months later.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:32 PM

188 posts, read 170,500 times
At 64 1/2 I just started rolling over a 401k into a Roth because the taxes would kill me when I reached 70 and started to take SS. But I had to be careful how much I rolled each year to stay within the 25% bracket and keep adjusted gross income low enough that I don't have to pay a premium for Medicare when I enroll in August. It turned out to be quite a balancing act.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We have medicare , aetna for a drug plan and a high deductible f plan from humana.

We took a 2k deductible supplement since it cost 2k less than an f plan with no deductible.
An f plan picks up 100% of what medicare does not pay

The supplement picks up everything medicare does not . Medicare has lots of gotcha's they only pay part of .
Thanks so much, I'm definitely looking into the F plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or