U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 10:20 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,540,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I read and enjoy the magazine. If a place is real hot or cold they minimise that. And yes the ads especially have a lot of beautiful people who are suppose to be our age but look 50.

That is so funny. And those people are tan and wrinkle-free, but with silver hair. Just the opposite of the rest of us who are wrinkled but dye our hair!

The magazine "International Living" is like that. But, it did give us the original idea to check out where we ended up retiring. Just take it all with a pound of salt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 11:46 AM

1,870 posts, read 3,445,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Does anyone read this? I get it because I just plain like reading about places Has anyone found these rundowns on different places to lead to some place of interest?
It was about 10 years ago that we started looking and did read the magazine. Yes, it did lead to some place of interest and where we actually moved. Hard to give any credence to it though as they described Palmdale, CA as a "mountain enclave" where I would describe it as a "monstrous autoclave".

Old 02-20-2017, 03:47 PM

12,721 posts, read 14,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
....The magazine "International Living" is like that. But, it did give us the original idea to check out where we ended up retiring. Just take it all with a pound of salt!
I think that was probably the one I looked at for awhile. That "pound of salt" thing was one of its biggest pluses as I realized that I was reading so much froth and PR, and I really was not getting tips and answers specific to my unglamorous situation and that the articles were short on nitty-gritty info. So, it was useful in grounding me and setting me off doing my own research.

And I did end up living abroad and in one of the glam areas, but on my budget and my terms.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:40 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,529,064 times
I like where they interview retirees who give their likes and dislikes about their relocation area/town.

You can always learn more when listening to dislikes rather than listening to likes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or