U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 07:20 AM

2,428 posts, read 1,665,603 times

Advertisements

Liking my environment is a mindset. Freezing cold or sweltering heat can just be the weather and nothing more if I chose not to fixate on it. If I'm an unhappy person, I can easily find everything wrong with where I live. If I'm insecure, I'll then try to sway others to my opinion so I can have company. If moving is a choice and not a have to, the chances of the OP being happy will be higher.

Every time the hot/cold dry/humid discussion come up, it ends up degenerating into personal tales of hatred for either climate. The OP is asking for information about moving from a hotter environment to a colder one and actual experiences with it, not the merits of either one.

To the OP, excellent advice has been given on spending time where you want to live and not for a few weeks but an entire season and even a couple if you can, before committing. Northern winters can have significant differences each year, with swings in temps and precipitation, just like other parts of the country.

The taradiddle thread brings this to mind:

Some like it hot, some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot, nine days old.

I think we are at the nine days old stage on most weather preference threads.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-21-2017 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 07:42 AM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
I have found that my mood is affected by humidity, and not by cold/snow. I accept the seasons and love the fall, but find that low moods and aches and pains are much worse in the humid summers. Otherwise, I can see just accepting weather changes as the way of nature and life, especially if there's no option to change where you live. I do think there's more to liking a location than weather! but do notice the number of people who tolerate other difficulties in order to live in a climate like coastal California.

I also think that having a house/apartment with good windows and nature outside helps prevent cabin fever. I have huge windows and woods/trees/skies to look at and good light inside. I never feel cabin fever no matter what the weather as long as I can have a sense of the outdoors.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,431,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
However, during a bitterly cold snap the TV stations will interview ski slope operators who are complaining that their business is so slow during the cold snap they are having financial troubles.
I guess it depends on the ski resort operators. Vail is doing very well:

Old 02-21-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Warm weather activities, like boating, golfing, outdoor sports, etc., may be immensely impractical or downright impossible in a difficult winter environment.
In Las Vegas NV, you can go snow skiing (Lee Canyon Ski Resort, Mt. Charleston) and water skiing (Lake Mead) on the same day.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Think Cleveland.
I'm pretty sure the only people who voluntarily live in Cleveland are in the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:36 AM
KCZ

1,669 posts, read 969,120 times
All that "proper clothing" that's being recommended (don't forget the boots) weighs 15-20 lbs more than what one wears in July...just one reason it's exhausting going out in January.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Tell me about the free public transportation - have never heard about that.
It works very well. Park City, UT : Transit Bus

Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,519,118 times
Another advantage about me moving from central Minnesota to the Ozarks of north Arkansas ( 870 miles) is I always hated the short days of Minnesota in winter.

Despite not being in the deep south, at the end of December we are having over an hour more daylight here to enjoy the mild winter weather.

Yes, Minnesota will have an hour more daylight than us in early summer but the days are long enough that losing an hour in summer is no big deal/

Cold winter weather plus short days got very depressing in Minnesota.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:44 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Another advantage about me moving from central Minnesota to the Ozarks of north Arkansas ( 870 miles) is I always hated the short days of Minnesota in winter.

Despite not being in the deep south, at the end of December we are having over an hour more daylight here to enjoy the mild winter weather.

Yes, Minnesota will have an hour more daylight than us in early summer but the days are long enough that losing an hour in summer is no big deal/

Cold winter weather plus short days got very depressing in Minnesota.
I would think the length of winter is also a factor. Here in Maryland by March we are done with it and want nice days, yet March is the cruelest of months as it makes you think spring is here but in reality it's 42 and windy as Hell. In Minnesota having cold right up to April would be way too much for me.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:15 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,341,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I suspect a lot of the tolerance and sometimes even enjoyment of the cold and snow is age dependent. Someone who retires young is going to think differently. I know my choices have altered from the time I retired at age 64 until now at age 70. I detest the cold. Do not like shoveling snow and worry about a heart attack. The last snow was very wet and heavy. Just shoveling over a foot off the front porch and sidewalk was enough. My club was going to have an archery shoot. That was snowed out. It has been over a week and I still cannot even walk across the backyard to the wood pile.

Nope, snow and winter weather are for younger people. Those of you who are reaching retirement age might want to take heed. You might be moving again within a very few years.

Meanwhile I am packing for Hawaii!!!!!!!!!
Here in VT and I don't have to shovel snow... I live in a community with an HOA that does the plowing and shoveling. Friends in single homes have someone come do that for them. As to the wood pile, either it's too far from the house or you forgot to keep a clear path to it. You also need to pick a town/county where they are serious about clearing the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or