U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 01:12 PM

51 posts, read 17,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am still willing to bet Slyfox and Gator Fan are well under 70.
You'd win that bet. My parents moved from the Florida Keys to Western Washington in the mid 1980's. They enjoyed their visits back to South Florida in the winter and could've moved back but didn't want to. Around age 75, my dad bought a place near Phoenix and they spend the winters there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 01:13 PM

2,636 posts, read 1,546,477 times
Before my wife and I decided to retire in Florida (leaving in a month or two), we made sure to spend time there during the summers for several years, because that is when the FL climate is most disagreeable. Anyone who is thinking of pulling up stakes and retiring in a new area should spend time there when the weather is least agreeable -- for Idaho that would be winter.

As a kid I loved to play in the snow. As a young man, I went winter camping in the Adirondacks. As a retiree, I'm moving to Florida. A retired friend of mine once said "old people are always cold." Maybe not all old people, but quite a few find that to be true, including me.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:22 PM

15,735 posts, read 26,776,109 times
My parents are way into their 70's. My dad turns 79 this year. They retired and then moved to Arizona in 2003. Moved from the coast where I live and it can get foggy in the evening and morning on the coast. Temperatures can get down to the 40's in the night time and back up to the mid 60's in the winter time. Also damp living near the coast.

In the Phoenix area where it can get hot, they love it. The temperature is more to their liking. They seldom if ever come back out to the coast anymore even when the heat is into the triple digits. They love the dry heat. My parents are active and stay busy. They were visiting Chicago where my moms family is from and still live, a few months back. The cold was not something that they like much anymore. They were happy to get back to Arizona.

I thought I would toss this out there because even if you want to move to a cold area at the start of retirement, is that where you will end up in your later years? My parents hate to move. They have owned two homes since they have been married. The first home for over 38 years and the second home is the home they purchased new in 2003. I don't anticipate them moving anytime soon. LOL

Old 02-20-2017, 01:45 PM

10,298 posts, read 4,871,936 times
I definitely think as we age, some of us don't tolerate the cold as well. I was only 5 when my family moved to SW Florida but I moved to Long Island in my early 20's. After I acclimated myself to the cold weather and learned how to dress for it, the cold never bothered me much. Of course everywhere you went was always heated to 80 degrees.

Now that I am 62 and back in Florida I find I just can't cope with cold weather, especially at night when the sun isn't warming things up. I sometimes dream of living somewhere that has 4 seasons again but I know I could never deal with the cold. Once I get a chill it takes a while for me to warm up. I remember somebody telling me they preferred the heat because "you can wipe off sweat, you can't wipe off goose bumps".

Old 02-20-2017, 01:50 PM

13,889 posts, read 25,327,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I recall a retirement magazine being asked why they don't feature more cold weather/snowy northern retirement destinations.
The person asking said.........." we love the outdoors in winter and prefer to be active outside in the cold and snow"

The answer given was that a very small percent of people proclaiming that will actually be enjoying the cold and snow outside in winter.
The majority will spend most of their winter days being inactive inside.

Talk is cheap.
Minnesotans like to brag how they are outside enjoying activities regardless how bitterly cold the temp is.
However, during a bitterly cold snap the TV stations will interview ski slope operators who are complaining that their business is so slow during the cold snap they are having financial troubles.

Talk is cheap.
I had 15 Minnesota winters and after fighting the cold, ice, and snow getting back and forth to work all week, all I did on the weekends was necessary errands. Other than that, I hibernated. And I was younger then!

Old 02-20-2017, 01:58 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,919,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierPressure53 View Post
My wife and I are looking at Twin Falls, Idaho or Idaho Falls, idaho as our retirement location.

Having lived in a warm weather location most of or life, we are a bit worried about moving to a cold weather retirement area.

My question to the forum would be 1st to those retirees like us, that have moved from warm weather areas to colder areas such as Idaho and how they adapted, and was it difficult?

I would also be in search for input from seniors in and how they cope with the winters, and what do they actually do in the winter, besides wait for spring.

Thanks.
John
Would strongly suggest you visit during winter there before making a commitment. I lived in IF in the early 80's, the summer is great, but the winter is pretty cold and snowy. If you stay home most of the time when you have real winter weather, you will be nearly a shut-in.

Of course as the Russians say, there is no bad weather, there is only inadequate clothing. This will fly more or less if you have a positive attitude.

You didn't say why you are considering this area for retirement. It certainly has it's plus and minus points.

As for what to do during winter, well, for one thing, it's an excellent skiing area. All sorts of great outdoor stuff to do, if you are into that.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:33 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,812,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am still willing to bet Slyfox and Gator Fan are well under 70.
Nope.... very close to 70, now.

I moved when I was a 62. I've never regretted it so far. I hated the stinking humid hot temperatures of Pennsylvania where I lived for 61 years. and in Maine, I don't have to waste my time mowing the lawn more than once a month. In PA in the summer, I often had to do it every three days.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:00 PM

15,242 posts, read 8,532,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I've never lived in super cold area like Minnesota but I assume they have underground tunnel like Montreal.
Sure, but the tunnels don't go to your house!

Old 02-20-2017, 03:02 PM

15,242 posts, read 8,532,850 times
OP-

How did you pick this area? On what was it based? And how much time have you spent there and in what seasons? This is too big a move to go in blind - unless you fully accept the high probability that you'll be picking up and leaving (maybe even BEFORE cold weather hits!). Don't do anything that can't be undone without costing a fortune.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:02 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,845,692 times
Having grown up in Colorado (Denver) and then moving to KC, Mo., we decided we wanted to live somewhere warm ... out of the winter snow and cold -- and didn't want to wait until we retired to do it! We moved to Florida in about 1972/3 (45-years ago) ... thinking, "If we ever get tired of the warm weather, we can always move back North with a pretty good idea of what we would be getting into.

Actually, we did move back to the frigid north about 5-years ago - to get closer to the grandkids in Destin, Florida (about 300-400 miles North of the beach in Satellite Beach, Florida. We've honestly considered becoming 'sun-birds' ... spending winters in Central Florida and the rest of the year in Destin. Destin (Florida Panhandle) isn't exactly Idaho, but it's more like Alabama than Florida ... and about as far North as we ever plan to live again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or