Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 03:49 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,736,127 times

Advertisements

Inexpensive + low crime + mild weather year round = oxymoron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 04:10 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,847,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
That was my thought too after reading the original post, but there may be a few out-of-the-way places which qualify on at least two out of the three criteria. California, if you get far enough east (away from the coast) comes close, except that the summers will be too hot. How far is far enough? Off the top of my head I would say 150 miles east of the coast.

"Mild weather year round" pretty much disqualifies anything east of the Rocky Mountains because even the areas that have mild winters have horrendous, stifling heat and humidity in the summer. Some people seem to be able to cope with that (otherwise Florida would be uninhabited), but personally I don't understand it at all.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:11 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,965,210 times
Quote:
No, I found it here in the Ozarks of north Arkansas.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:12 PM

9,346 posts, read 13,958,020 times
Quote:
Do you know what an oxymoron is? What you wrote is not, it is only an uniformed comment. There are no doubt plenty of places like this, you just need to look for them. Plus it depends on your definition of mild weather.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:18 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,080,421 times
There are a lot of places that are safe, low cost and have a moderate climate. The problem I found was a lot of other important factors.... availability of tertiary care healthcare, a major airport nearby, near to a city with museums, art galleries, symphonic music, available educational opportunities especially OLLI, etc. Before decided on a retirement location, you need to consider everything that is important to you and your spouse.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:10 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,481,952 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
As did I. (Still adjusting to the state income tax and sales tax on groceries though.)

Old 02-19-2017, 06:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,736,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
You spilled the beans! Now it will no longer be cheap.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:23 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,298,336 times
There are many homes available in your price range in 55+ communities. Choosing a climate is a very personal issue.
You can look at homes on Realtor.com and other sites. We lived in Arizona for a time, and then got tired of the hot and dry, so we returned to Florida where we had lived for 28 years prior to going to AZ. We are reasonably close to Tampa airport, so our kids can come and visit us and their college friends.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,847,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Do you know what an oxymoron is? What you wrote is not, it is only an uniformed comment. There are no doubt plenty of places like this, you just need to look for them. Plus it depends on your definition of mild weather.
If the terms are incompatible or contradictory, then poster TwoByFour used the term "oxymoron" correctly. He is saying that in his opinion, the three conditions are incompatible and contradictory. Therefore, if you do not agree, then you should say, "No, I think such places can be found" instead of implying that he doesn't know what an oxymoron is.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:45 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,141,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierPressure53 View Post
Hi. I am looking from input from those who have retired to an inexpensive housing (under $300,000) retirement location, that has mild weather and relatively low crime. Where is the location and is it what you thought it would be, and are enjoying your retirement.
The above is what my wife and I are looking for, and only have a few years before retiring and finding our location.

Thanks.
John
You need to define low crime. What's low to me may be unreasonable to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement