U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 02:35 PM

22,010 posts, read 14,458,578 times

Advertisements

I notice some differences in how I taste things. I don't know if this is because if advancing age or not.

I have trouble with certain sweet tastes. I still like actual sweets, but I have trouble with other sweet flavors. I like raw carrots for instance, but cannot abide the sweet taste of roasted (not mushy) carrots. Too sweet for me. I don't like sweetened coffee drinks. Too sweet. Some baked goods are too sweet. Salad dressings are often too sweet. That's how I perceive them. I know that some processed foods do have more sweeteners in them than they used to, but carrots?

And Thai food, which I want so much to like -- almost always too sweet.

Anyone else notice something like this?

I also don't like potatoes. They taste too sour. I usually like sour flavors, but with potatoes, I just don't.

I take a few meds, but nothing exotic. I take niacin and fenobrate. I also take a daily antihistamine. Could those be the problem?

If you have noticed a change as you have gotten older in how you taste things, please share. I'd like to think I am not the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 02:44 PM

5,402 posts, read 6,554,145 times
I too notice taste differences mainly in the aftertaste. milk for sure plus other stuff, really all food lacks taste to me now. Dry mouth is bad too. Sometimes I can barely speak and I wake up dreaming I am eating foam rubber.

I am 65 and takes several meds that can do this. The dentist said it is a condition that I should mention to my PCP. He also suggested biotin? moisturizing mouth wash which does help.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:37 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,364,720 times
If you are taking daily antihistamines then your sense of smell is probably involved. Part of tasting is actually smell.

As to foods seeming too sweet: many ready-made (processed foods) have way too many sweeteners. If you look at "sugar-free" items, you will find many of them have artificial sweeteners in them. Personally I find the artificial sweeteners to be too sweet tasting and not at all like regular sugar would be.

To see if your meds could be causing the problem, look up their side effects on drugs.com

Old 02-19-2017, 05:47 PM

890 posts, read 680,051 times
Well on the flip side of this, yes I've noticed changes in how things taste.

When I was a kid and told to eat the peas on my dinner plate, I'd get a gag reflex putting a mouthful in my mouth. I couldn't get into canned peas.

Now I actually like peas but I don't eat the canned type.

Ditto for tomatoes. As a young boy my parents gave me the cultural experience of picking tomatoes when they used to get picked by hand. I couldn't stand the smell of tomatoes and wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole. I couldn't stand their smell or taste. Now I like them and consider home-grown organic ones to be very tasty.

Now lima beans or brussel sprouts, that's a different story.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:14 PM

13,391 posts, read 6,397,928 times
I still don't like broccoli.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM

I have done a little research on this online. Apparently as we age our sense of smell goes south and we lose tasting ability. I do think my sense of smell is less sensitive. And antihistamines can dry one out to the degree that mouth stays dry, and mine does more than before.

But I am not posting about stuff we don't like to eat; I am posting about how our tastes have changed, if they have, and how they have changed.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:27 PM

6,241 posts, read 2,895,337 times
Thank you for this post! I seriously wondered if it was just me...
My desires in foods from texture to aroma have taken a turn
I only drink water regularly...With some white tea. Sodas and juices taste " metal"...(blah!)
Where I used to like sweets... I no longer have an urge.. ( unless it's dark chocolate!)
So I do concur...Our taste buds change ..And it's changing what I eat or the diet I can endure...

Old 02-19-2017, 08:40 PM

13,391 posts, read 6,397,928 times
There goes my George Bush moment. I was hoping my taste bud would change so I would like to eat more broccoli. Come to think about it I never like vegetables much. Maybe that's my problem.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Thank you for this post! I seriously wondered if it was just me...
My desires in foods from texture to aroma have taken a turn
I only drink water regularly...With some white tea. Sodas and juices taste " metal"...(blah!)
Where I used to like sweets... I no longer have an urge.. ( unless it's dark chocolate!)
So I do concur...Our taste buds change ..And it's changing what I eat or the diet I can endure...
I eat dark chocolate too.

I can't stand the taste of our local water, so I use a filter pitcher. I still hate the taste.

I used to like a cold diet Coke, but now I don't like them nearly as much, which is just as well. A cold one on a hot day is still good. I've basically lost my taste for diet soda.

I am 70. I wonder how old you are?

Any others out there who are older--is it going to get worse?

Old 02-19-2017, 08:58 PM

14,068 posts, read 20,418,504 times
Only during chemo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or