U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
16,422 posts, read 5,360,641 times
Reputation: 51379

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
First of all, when considering the pros and cons of medical marijuana, the advice of a primary care physician should be the first step. Keep in mind that some physicians may be supportive while others may be dead set against it. It seems like medical associations are increasingly more supportive of it for medical purposes.

You mention issues regarding anxiety, increased heart rate and cardiovascular disease. Keep in mind that medical marijuana isn't always about smoking a joint high in THC. As you noted, THC, while it may be useful for some patients, it can get you very high, which for some people may induce anxiety and an increased heart rate.

CBD, which are also properties of marijuana, does not make a person high and appears to have more medical benefits. There are products that have a higher percentage of CBD, and very low percentage of THC. Some CBD products are available as an oil extract. Perhaps the biggest question is how much should be used, and how often, questions that should be asked of your doctor.

Admittedly, there's a lot more study to be researched. I looked up some information about CBD effects on anxiety, heart beat and cardiovascular disease that you might want to have a look at.

CBD Oil For Anxiety: Is Cannabidiol An Effective Treatment?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3579247/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22670794
Thanks, NightBazaar. I am aware that THC causes anxiety and have experienced this side effect many times. It takes some experimenting to find the "sweet spot," the dosage level that will relieve symptoms without causing problems of its own. I don't "smoke a joint." Smoking anything - whether tobacco or cannabis - is bad for your lungs. Instead I use a vape pen. It heats the cannabis only up to the point where the active ingredients are released as vapor, but it doesn't actually burn the cannabis or create smoke.

I also have heard about CBD and how it can counteract the anxiety from THC. It works with THC to enhance the benefits of cannabis (called the "entourage effect"), and has health benefits of its own. I recently mail-ordered some CBD oil from a company in Florida called Green Roads. (The product can be sold legally because it contains no THC.)

I started with three drops under the tongue twice a day. When taken with my usual nighttime dose of 8.75 mg indica gummi, the CBD oil seems to be helping me get to sleep faster. The oil is horrendously expensive, though - $70 for a one-ounce bottle. I haven't noticed any other health benefits yet, but I absolutely believe that CBD oil helps people and will continue using it.

Medical cannabis is such a new field, there's a lot we don't know about how it works and what dosages are appropriate. It's like the Wild West out there with no rules. This is confusing to new users, especially if they haven't had experience with marijuana in the past. I am hoping that the Feds will loosen up and reclassify cannabis so that more legitimate scientific research can be done, the stigma will be lifted and more people will be willing to try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2017, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
219 posts, read 132,080 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Medical cannabis is such a new field, there's a lot we don't know about how it works and what dosages are appropriate. It's like the Wild West out there with no rules. This is confusing to new users, especially if they haven't had experience with marijuana in the past. I am hoping that the Feds will loosen up and reclassify cannabis so that more legitimate scientific research can be done, the stigma will be lifted and more people will be willing to try it.
It is not in the pharmaceutical industry's best interest to research the benefits. On the contrary, it benefits them to oppose and lobby against legalization or reclassification so the Martin Shkrelis of the world can charge what they like for medications that do many of the same things THC & other components of marijuana can do often with more serious side effects. Marijuana has been around as long or longer than humans, so why is it still the "Wild West out there"? I ask myself why, with all the other advances in medicine, that opiate replacements have not been found and widely used after all this time. Hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,847 posts, read 4,964,642 times
Reputation: 17338
I haven't tried Medical Marijuana. So far, ibuprofen controls my chronic back pain.

However, if I get into a situation where that no longer works, and I want to avoid opiates, I'm so glad mj is available.

There is much to be experienced and learned about medical mj. I am so glad to be living in a state that acknowledges this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 07:34 PM
 
5,096 posts, read 8,073,518 times
Reputation: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Thanks, NightBazaar. I am aware that THC causes anxiety and have experienced this side effect many times. It takes some experimenting to find the "sweet spot," the dosage level that will relieve symptoms without causing problems of its own. I don't "smoke a joint." Smoking anything - whether tobacco or cannabis - is bad for your lungs. Instead I use a vape pen. It heats the cannabis only up to the point where the active ingredients are released as vapor, but it doesn't actually burn the cannabis or create smoke.
I just noticed that your username is "Bayarea4". You're right, there are a number of folks down in the Bay Area who are familiar with THC.

One of the reasons for my post was that you mentioned your husband has anxiety as it is. For the benefit of other readers of this thread who might not otherwise know, not all weed is heavy with THC, and that high CBD products do not make a person feel stoned. You're also right about finding the "sweet spot" that works for you. Best to start lightly and slightly adjust accordingly if necessary, as you previously mentioned. I also agree that, although smoking a roll-your-own or using various pipes is one method, it can carry fine dust particles and ash into your lungs. As you noted, vaporizers heat up the material to release the vaporized oils, but not to the point of combustion. Anyway, there are people who do associate marijuana, whether medical or otherwise, with smoking a joint.

You also mentioned that your husband has cardiovascular disease, which I assume is a reason he chooses not to use cannabis. And that's also the reason I included links from the medical profession that indicate that CBD doesn't appear to have any known adverse side effects like elevated blood pressure, etc. Still, he is certainly entitled to avoid such meds if he feels strongly against it. In any case, it's still a good idea to discuss such matters first with a physician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I also have heard about CBD and how it can counteract the anxiety from THC. It works with THC to enhance the benefits of cannabis (called the "entourage effect"), and has health benefits of its own. I recently mail-ordered some CBD oil from a company in Florida called Green Roads. (The product can be sold legally because it contains no THC.)

I started with three drops under the tongue twice a day. When taken with my usual nighttime dose of 8.75 mg indica gummi, the CBD oil seems to be helping me get to sleep faster. The oil is horrendously expensive, though - $70 for a one-ounce bottle. I haven't noticed any other health benefits yet, but I absolutely believe that CBD oil helps people and will continue using it.
I've never used CBD oil, although it is available through dispensaries in my area (I'm in Oregon). I have some capsules that are filled with 150 mg whole flower cannabis, which contain 21 mg bioactive CBD and only 1 mg bioactive THC. I don't care for it because it made my stomach feel a little bit queasy, which is why I prefer using a vaporizer. But there wasn't the slightest buzz from the CBD capsules as would be expected from products that are higher in THC. Never tried any edibles either. IMO the problem with edibles (at least for me) is that it's even harder to gauge the amounts because they're slow to take effect. It's easy to consume a certain amount, not feel like its working and take a little more, only to find yourself higher than a kite later on (referring to higher THC levels).

As you mentioned, CBD oils can seem rather spendy, but then again since only a few drops at a time are used, it might be enough provide a lot more doses, idk. I'm not surprised that you might not notice any health benefits yet. What sort of medical condition do you have that you want to try to resolve with CBD? I would imagine that an 8.75 mg gummy would be pretty relaxing to help sleep better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Medical cannabis is such a new field, there's a lot we don't know about how it works and what dosages are appropriate. It's like the Wild West out there with no rules. This is confusing to new users, especially if they haven't had experience with marijuana in the past. I am hoping that the Feds will loosen up and reclassify cannabis so that more legitimate scientific research can be done, the stigma will be lifted and more people will be willing to try it.
While I also think it be a good idea for the Feds to ease the classification, I'm not sure if that's going to happen any time soon. However, in states that allow it for various medical conditions, the prospects to conduct clinical research and study seems to be stepping up. Such research could lead to much better determine dosages, etc. It's moving ahead, albeit a very slow process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 09:23 PM
 
4,776 posts, read 6,619,483 times
Reputation: 6785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I started with three drops under the tongue twice a day. When taken with my usual nighttime dose of 8.75 mg indica gummi, the CBD oil seems to be helping me get to sleep faster. The oil is horrendously expensive, though - $70 for a one-ounce bottle. I haven't noticed any other health benefits yet, but I absolutely believe that CBD oil helps people and will continue using it.
Seems to be? Gee, if I wasn't even sure I could tell a difference, I don't believe I would spend $70 an ounce on something.

I'd try it (for FM pain) if there was clear evidence that it helps, but if most people just said it "seems to be" helping, I probably wouldn't bother to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 11:17 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
16,422 posts, read 5,360,641 times
Reputation: 51379
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I just noticed that your username is "Bayarea4". You're right, there are a number of folks down in the Bay Area who are familiar with THC.
Ya think so?

Quote:
You also mentioned that your husband has cardiovascular disease, which I assume is a reason he chooses not to use cannabis. And that's also the reason I included links from the medical profession that indicate that CBD doesn't appear to have any known adverse side effects like elevated blood pressure, etc. Still, he is certainly entitled to avoid such meds if he feels strongly against it. In any case, it's still a good idea to discuss such matters first with a physician.
Exactly. The THC in cannabis can raise BP and heart rate, which is a bad thing for people with CVD. It would be perfectly safe for DH to use CBD oil, but he isn't interested, and as you say it's best to check with a doctor first.

Quote:
Never tried any edibles either. IMO the problem with edibles (at least for me) is that it's even harder to gauge the amounts because they're slow to take effect. It's easy to consume a certain amount, not feel like its working and take a little more, only to find yourself higher than a kite later on (referring to higher THC levels).
That's a genuine risk with edibles. I was well aware of this risk before I started using them because I remember the days of ingesting hash brownies and then going to a rock concert. It can take up to two hours for the full effect to be felt, the high can last for up to four hours. It's very important to start slowly with edibles and use the minimum amount until you know what your tolerance is.

Quote:
As you mentioned, CBD oils can seem rather spendy, but then again since only a few drops at a time are used, it might be enough provide a lot more doses, idk. I'm not surprised that you might not notice any health benefits yet. What sort of medical condition do you have that you want to try to resolve with CBD? I would imagine that an 8.75 mg gummy would be pretty relaxing to help sleep better.
Yes, CBD oil is spendy. As the benefits of CBD oil becomes better known and more states legalize cannabis, however, I am hoping that prices will come down. In the meantime I am hoping the $70 bottle I bought will last for a few weeks. It's too soon to tell as I only started using it three days ago.

The medical conditions I am using it for are generalized anxiety, depression and insomnia. I am also hoping that CBD oil will help keep my cardiovascular system healthy and prevent dementia, which are some of the other benefits it is said to have.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 03-10-2017 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 11:21 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
16,422 posts, read 5,360,641 times
Reputation: 51379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Seems to be? Gee, if I wasn't even sure I could tell a difference, I don't believe I would spend $70 an ounce on something.

I'd try it (for FM pain) if there was clear evidence that it helps, but if most people just said it "seems to be" helping, I probably wouldn't bother to.
I was being cautious because I've only used CBD oil for a few days and the jury is still out. I am falling asleep faster than before, though, so I'm pretty sure CBD has helped me with insomnia. Even if the effects aren't immediately noticeable, CBD oil is supposed to have other benefits so I am willing to keep using it despite the steep price. When prescription drugs can run hundreds of dollars for a single month's supply, $70 doesn't seem like that much.

One of the things CBD oil is supposed to be good for is chronic pain. If you ever do get a chance to try it, Luvvarkansas, it might help you with your fibromyalgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 01:51 PM
 
4,776 posts, read 6,619,483 times
Reputation: 6785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I was being cautious because I've only used CBD oil for a few days
I see. Well, keep us updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 01:53 PM
 
4,776 posts, read 6,619,483 times
Reputation: 6785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
One of the things CBD oil is supposed to be good for is chronic pain. If you ever do get a chance to try it, Luvvarkansas, it might help you with your fibromyalgia.
That's what I've heard. I would love to try it....I take Lyrica right now and use a Tramadol/Acetaminophen mix for really bad days (probably 3-4 times a month). I'd love to be able to use something with no side effects or risk of dependence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2017, 02:24 PM
 
6,215 posts, read 2,874,385 times
Reputation: 15753
Wanted to thank some of the posters who added links for further research/study results.
Loved the line" then more folks would be willing to try it". Our state just passed the "medical" reform bill for MJ. Our teens were ecstatic! Seems they took it to mean...Smoke it if you got it!.
Our schools once again had to crackdown on this misnomer.
Witnessed a child with brain trauma...Induring seizures..Of 20-30 in a day. Her mom found MJ (oil) reduced it's frequency and the grand mulls were not so grand. I still stand on the fence on its long term effect when used daily. Most "herbs" eventually take higher dosages... To maintain the desired alleviation. On a personal level...I cannot be within distance of a person using this recreationally(smoking). I'm an anomaly as I actually get seizures from that herb. Spent a day at a hospital because some kid decided to light up at a concert..And I was rushed to Er. Doctors thought I had ingested it or was smoking it directly.. took a skilled doctor to test my reaction..And sure enough..Once THC dances in my blood stream..My brain sends a message to repell it. It doesn't soothe me... so yes there is THAT side effect ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top