U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 10:51 AM

79 posts, read 95,330 times

Advertisements

I use a very low dose of an edible (1/8 - 1/4 of one of the 4 pieces the edible is divided into) for my chronic pain, PTSD, migraines, and occasionally for chronic insomnia. I have to be careful because if I have an empty stomach the sensation is increased considerably once the drug kicks in.

That being said, after being on a really strong narcotic for chronic pain for 10 years, I'd rather deal with the floating sensation and "everything's pretty" feeling of marijuana than going back to the decidedly stoned, almost sedated feeling I had with the med I was prescribed by my pain doc. I can alter the dose as needed and don't need to keep it at a constant level in my blood like I did with the prescription chemicals. It also is free of the aggravating side effects like edema and weight gain.

With the edibles, I don't experience the munchies like I did when smoking as a youth. Maybe it's me or maybe it's the lower dose...I don't know.

I'm on the list to see a doc here in Florida for MMJ but am hoping to move out of state soon so I'll have access to a wider selection of products....here we'll only be allowed CBD oil or capsules....and....ick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 05:21 PM

16,424 posts, read 5,361,981 times
OzarkChickenLover, microdoses work best for me, too. I was really surprised that my tolerance for THC hasn't increased after nine months of daily use. I prefer to use edibles or tinctures because you can precisely control the dosage, and - like you - I cut them in half or in quarters because I don't like that floaty, zoned-out feeling unless I'm trying to get to sleep. But edibles take a long time to kick in, so right before bed I vape a bowl of indica for immediate relief.

Munchies haven't been a problem for me, either, which was a big surprise. That was one of my greatest concerns about using cannabis.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:30 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,642,639 times
I don't micro-dose. I macro-dose! After 50 years, I've found that when dealing with edibles, the magic dose I'm looking for is 30mg of THC. Colorado standard dose is 10mg per piece. I accomplish this by baking my own banana nut muffins. I use hash oil which has been activated for edible or vape use and use a whole gram of oil in with the melted butter. A full tray of muffins is 24 muffins & the hash oil is typically 70% pure (so it has 700mg of THC per 1 gram syringe). Adding a full gram of oil at 70% purity means that 700mg/ 24 muffins = approximately 30mg per muffin. They usually take an hour to work and by bedtime, I'm yawning & ready for some serious sleep. I sleep like a baby thru the night and always wake up refreshed. And what's always amazed me..... no munchies.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
I don't micro-dose. I macro-dose! After 50 years, I've found that when dealing with edibles, the magic dose I'm looking for is 30mg of THC. Colorado standard dose is 10mg per piece. I accomplish this by baking my own banana nut muffins. I use hash oil which has been activated for edible or vape use and use a whole gram of oil in with the melted butter. A full tray of muffins is 24 muffins & the hash oil is typically 70% pure (so it has 700mg of THC per 1 gram syringe). Adding a full gram of oil at 70% purity means that 700mg/ 24 muffins = approximately 30mg per muffin. They usually take an hour to work and by bedtime, I'm yawning & ready for some serious sleep. I sleep like a baby thru the night and always wake up refreshed. And what's always amazed me..... no munchies.

This goes to show how different everyone's responses to cannabis are. Some people can't tolerate THC in any amount, others find that microdoses work best, and people like you have a very high tolerance. One advantage of having a low tolerance, like me, is that it saves money. Good quality cannabis and cannabis edibles are expensive! I'd love to try a one-third portion of your medicated banana nut muffins, DurangoJoe.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:45 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,298,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
DW bought me some MJ cream/salve for my hands which have some arthritis pain. I tried it a couple of times but honestly I get more out of ibuprofen so haven't used the MJ any longer. It did not get me stoned or anything. I used to like smoking it 50 years ago but have no interest in doing that now.
I have arthritis pain in my hands especially in the thumbs near the palms and have been using Aleve for quite some time. Not working anywhere near as well as it used to. Ibuprofen is rough on the stomach over long periods of time isn't it?

Old 04-15-2017, 08:59 AM

3,665 posts, read 2,815,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I have fibromyalgia and currently take medications that I really don't want to take.
I use the St. Amand's Approach for mine. I take guifennssin every day, and take in no salicylates. I take none of the scary drug company meds which don't really address the problem, only the symptoms, by giving you mjuch worse symptoms so you can remember the original symptoms.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:19 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,642,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I'd love to try a one-third portion of your medicated banana nut muffins, DurangoJoe.
C'mon down to SW Colorado and give 'em a try!

Old 04-15-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
C'mon down to SW Colorado and give 'em a try!

Love to. I'll be right over!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,980,718 times
Medicate?

Recreate?

Our local weed store gives a 10% senior discount.

I just got an ounce of pretty good Sativa dominant hybrid for $108.00.

When I come out with my little bag, I feel like I'm in a Cheech and Chong movie.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:39 AM

295 posts, read 316,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Seniors are discovering that Medical Marijuana can relieve pain without the debilitating side effects of opiates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/n...e=sectionfront

This is becoming popular in those states that have legalized medical marijuana.

Your experiences?
April 20th is 420 day. Time to light a bowl or a joint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or