U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 02:12 AM

16,417 posts, read 5,352,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
April 20th is 420 day. Time to light a bowl or a joint.
Or vape or have an edible. Smoking anything isn't good for your lungs, especially for those of us who are older. Not trying to be a buzzkill or anything, but I would like to get the word out that using cannabis does not necessarily mean "smoking pot."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 07:17 AM

219 posts, read 131,604 times
The pain relieving effects of CBD is not just for blue staters. At least I think they can ship to non-legal states, https://www.cwhemp.com. It's non-psychoactive.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,607,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
The pain relieving effects of CBD is not just for blue staters. At least I think they can ship to non-legal states, https://www.cwhemp.com. It's non-psychoactive.
I would love to give it a try, but I'm not sure how hubby would react. I've told him before that I would take MMJ if it actually helped me and would allow me to get off the Lyrica. Not sure if it would be more expensive or less, though....Lyrica costs me $55 a month with insurance.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:56 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,640,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Or vape or have an edible. Smoking anything isn't good for your lungs, especially for those of us who are older. Not trying to be a buzzkill or anything, but I would like to get the word out that using cannabis does not necessarily mean "smoking pot."
Yet beyond some folks experiencing bronchitis, there are no diseases (including cancer) or illnesses of the lungs & pulmonary system associated with smoking cannabis. THC actually helps to fight cancer.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...finds-no-link/

Old 04-20-2017, 01:56 PM

219 posts, read 131,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I would love to give it a try, but I'm not sure how hubby would react. I've told him before that I would take MMJ if it actually helped me and would allow me to get off the Lyrica. Not sure if it would be more expensive or less, though....Lyrica costs me $55 a month with insurance.
The full strength extract is not cheap. But some of the non-opioid pain meds aren't cheap either. I think if I had a med card and bought through a local dispensery it might be cheaper.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:20 PM

3,848 posts, read 3,969,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
Yet beyond some folks experiencing bronchitis, there are no diseases (including cancer) or illnesses of the lungs & pulmonary system associated with smoking cannabis. THC actually helps to fight cancer.

Thank you DJ, this needs to be said again and again until it is accepted. The absence of reported cases of lung cancer due to cannabis by now is incredibly telling. Cannabis critics will lazily say "we need more testing" but the happy truth is already confirmed. Smoke away, exhale early and get some regular aerobic exercise and your lungs can be perfectly healthy, perhaps more healthy than with no cannabis.

Think of all the well-funded organizations out there whose businesses are threatened by the near-miracle drug cannabis. They would flood the media with stories of cannabis caused lung cancer (or any cancer) if they could but... they've got nothing to report!

Old 04-20-2017, 02:24 PM

5,091 posts, read 8,066,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
What kind of insurance do you have?
And how much does the insurance cost?
Do you have to pay a deductible for the Lyrica?
How many other meds do you use that are also covered by your insurance?
Do you use any over-the-counter meds (not covered by insurance)?
Does your state require an annual fee for an MMJ permit? If yes, how much does that cost?
Does your state also require a form that your physician must fill in and sign? (It isn't a prescription.)

The cost for MMJ from a dispensary is another cost. None of the medical insurance companies cover MMJ, so that's an expense to be paid in full out of your own pocket. A good part of that expense would depend on how much you would need to consume over a period of a month for the desired results. If a small amount of MMJ would do it, then the expense would be lower. If it takes a larger amount for the desired results, then the expense is going to be higher. The only way to know is to try it out to see what works and adjust the amount to be consumed accordingly until you know what works for you.

Once you have a good idea of the various expenses involved, you can better determine if it would be more expensive or less for you on a monthly or yearly basis.

Finally, you should definitely discuss the matter with your primary care physician, preferably one who is not opposed to the use of MMJ for certain medical conditions. If your physician is favorable to MMJ, you should also bring your husband with you. The physician should be able to more clearly explain the medical benefits to him as well as an alternative to Lyrica, which can be addictive.

I know what you mean when a spouse may be dead-set against MMJ. It can be a bit nerve-wracking to discuss. My wife was against it and afraid other people would start gossiping if they found out. She thought MJ was only for getting high. We talked about it and ultimately came to a mutual and respectful understanding. I do not use MMJ in front of her, and it is never discussed with anyone she knows. I'm okay with that because she's very important to me. But my own health and well-being is also important to me. When I use it, I go into the computer room and close the door. I never exceed 3 hits, which is just enough to be effective for me. There's almost no scent from vaping. And since I use MMJ that's higher in CBD, and only use a small amount at a time, it doesn't get me spaced out, although I might feel a very slight buzz for a few minutes because it does contain a small amount of THC. With regard to MMJ pain relief lotions, it has a fairly high amount of THC, but because it's a topical and is applied to the skin, it doesn't get into the blood stream and stone you at all. However it does give noticeable relief to physical pain, at least for me.

I recently bought a half-ounce of high CBD buds called Shark Shock (5.7% THC and 10.53% CBD according to the label) from a high quality local dispensary. With the small amount I use, that half-ounce could last over a year at the rate I use it. The cost was $120. If it lasts for 14 months, that would work out to about $8.57 per month. The lotion costs $34 and generally last for about 4 months. That works out to about $8.50 per month. Not bad price-wise considering insurance won't help cover the cost.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post

Thanks for the link, DurangoJoe. It's good to know that smoking cannabis is doesn't have the cancer risk of smoking cigarettes. Still, I would rather not. The smoke is harsh and makes me cough. Even vaping makes me cough. I smoked cigarettes for 19 years before quitting, so maybe my lungs are a bit more sensitive than they were when I was young.

Also, Mr. Bay (who has never smoked anything or used any drug) absolutely cannot tolerate the smell of cannabis smoke. He even complains about the vape, which produces very little odor. I vape in the bathroom with the window open and the door shut, and he still complains!

Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,895,263 times
All this talk about smoking weed - Hey, man, anybody got any Oreos?

Old 04-20-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
All this talk about smoking weed - Hey, man, anybody got any Oreos?
I was holding out for brownies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or