U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 11:14 PM

16,412 posts, read 5,348,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
A friend let me try some of his medical M and let me tell you, I wont be doing that brand again. He did warn me that it was strong and I took about 5 hits and felt pretty good but boy did it hit me hard 30 minutes later. Hallucinating and then feeling like I couldnt breathe. Freaked me out and thats something I dont need as my dreams are pretty hallucinatory all by themselves.
This story is an example of why people who want to try medical marijuana need to be ultra cautious about dosage. MJ can seem not to be affecting you much at first, then it creeps up on you and POW! Today's strains are a lot stronger. It doesn't take much to overdo it, and the results can be unpleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've never tried it and have no interest in doing so. The impact on one's life is too great and simply not worth it. Had I used marijuana while in the military, and my career spanned almost 32 years, I would have been subject to disciplinary action and a less than honorable discharge. My LE career would also have ended, as marijuana use would have been grounds for permanently revoking my Alaska Police Standards Council certification, without which, I cannot be employed. Now that I'm fully retired that's no longer an issue. But I do own firearms. Got a medical marijuana card? 9th circuit says people with medical marijuana cards can no longer own firearms. And I live in the 9th circuit. It's just a matter of time before it's enforced. I also have a pilot's license. If you use marijuana, your FAA medical certificate is invalid. That means no more flying. I'm sure there are other professions and activities that are also impacted, but these are the ones that affect me. When it comes to using any illegal drugs, my policy is to just say no. That includes marijuana, whether for "medical" or recreational use. And while some may say it's legal in their state, it's still illegal under federal law. So before you light up, you might want to make sure you aren't creating issues that will impact your life later on.
If you don't want to use MJ, no one is going to twist your arm. Your guns are safe. Personally, I'm more worried about people with guns who drink too much. Getting toasted on cannabis is not going to make you want to kill someone. You'd rather get a pizza and watch cartoons.

I've got a gun, a medical marijuana card and I also live in the 9th Circuit. Should I be worried that the Feds are going to break my door down for an old Winchester .22 rifle? I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 10:00 AM

5,090 posts, read 8,062,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
A friend let me try some of his medical M and let me tell you, I wont be doing that brand again. He did warn me that it was strong and I took about 5 hits and felt pretty good but boy did it hit me hard 30 minutes later. Hallucinating and then feeling like I couldnt breathe. Freaked me out and thats something I dont need as my dreams are pretty hallucinatory all by themselves.
The first thing to take into account is that your friend apparently did warn you that it was strong. The second thing is that you took about 5 hits of it. Today, some weed strains have been hybridized or cloned to be very potent (higher in THC and low to near zero CBD), as you apparently discovered. But some have been hybridized or cloned to be relatively mild (lower in THC but higher in CBD). Regardless, if a person is going to test out some weed, it should start out very light. In my opinion, taking 5 hits of a strong weed, especially when you were already told it was strong, is probably not the best way to approach it. I'd suggest trying 2 or 3 (max) shallow hits to see how it effects you, then later adjust accordingly with a little more or a little less. The amount of time you mentioned sounds typical, anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to feel the effect.

In contrast, with high CBD weed, you won't feel high or at best, if it contains a little THC, you might feel a very light buzz, but certainly not enough to send you off into La-La Land. I use high CBD weed because that's what works best for me, and I don't especially want to get stoned like a zombie. I want to be able to function. Because high CBD weed doesn't make a person feel stoned, the gauge to determine how much is enough to do what is intended, isn't based on how high you feel, but how it works as a pain reliever. If the pain has subsided, then the amount used is enough for me.

When I use weed, I use a vaporizer, but just occasionally if pain is intense. Smoking a joint is just too harsh for me because it's not just administrating the chemical properties, it's also taking in smoke which includes ash particles, some amounts of dust from the dried weed and other undesirable gases. The vaporizer only heats up the material enough to release a vapor. No ash, no dust, etc. I have seen what are basically e-cigs but use THC instead of nicotine. The one's I've seen have quite strong levels of THC and zero levels of CBD though, so one would want to toke very lightly on it. I haven't tried that, and I doubt I will because it's not likely to be helpful for me.

Regardless, for me, 2 or 3 medium hits of higher CBD levels are enough. Again, it's different because it is very low THC and higher levels of CBD. On the other hand, different people can have different reactions, that is to say, some people might require weed with very high levels of THC and might need 5 or more hits to achieve their goal because that's what it takes for them.

I mostly use a lotion that's high in THC and low in CBD. It doesn't cause a person to feel high because it's applied topically. It also includes a number of other herbs and flowers that have a nice scent. By massaging it to the skin, it helps relieve aches and soreness of muscles. The point is that not all MM products get you high, and not all weed is high in THC that can cause an intense high.

I've tried weed that was fairly high in THC before. It made me feel very light-headed, but not to a point of hallucinating or breathing problems. Still, I didn't feel comfortable with the results. All I wanted to do was just sit back and float. That's okay, but it's not what I want that works for me. Last of all, if a person is going to use marijuana for medical purposes, talk to a physician first for advise as to whether or not it should be something to consider.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:24 AM

4,830 posts, read 4,940,887 times
If you have chronic pain, to get a certificate for legal medical marijuana here in Colorado takes time and costs money.

I think you ought to try recreational weed first to see if it really works for pain elimination. I've seen so many different points of view that I think there is no consensus.

Just give it a try. Perhaps that's why we get so many MJ tourists in this state.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:34 AM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
This story is an example of why people who want to try medical marijuana need to be ultra cautious about dosage. MJ can seem not to be affecting you much at first, then it creeps up on you and POW! Today's strains are a lot stronger. It doesn't take much to overdo it, and the results can be unpleasant.

If you don't want to use MJ, no one is going to twist your arm. Your guns are safe. Personally, I'm more worried about people with guns who drink too much. Getting toasted on cannabis is not going to make you want to kill someone. You'd rather get a pizza and watch cartoons.

I've got a gun, a medical marijuana card and I also live in the 9th Circuit. Should I be worried that the Feds are going to break my door down for an old Winchester .22 rifle? I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

LOL. Thanks for this laugh. I had some stoner friends once, all they did was watch the Simpsons! Oh, yeah, and pizza!

Yeah, we're not losing any sleep over it. It helps us sleep so we toke on the vape before bed. Helps my aching joints....a brownie even more so. And its legal here.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:17 AM

11,225 posts, read 11,251,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If you have chronic pain, to get a certificate for legal medical marijuana here in Colorado takes time and costs money.

I think you ought to try recreational weed first to see if it really works for pain elimination. I've seen so many different points of view that I think there is no consensus.

Just give it a try. Perhaps that's why we get so many MJ tourists in this state.
Please everyone remember that MJ is still illegal under Federal law and the Feds can arrest you and seize your assets anytime they choose, state legalization laws be damned.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Please everyone remember that MJ is still illegal under Federal law and the Feds can arrest you and seize your assets anytime they choose, state legalization laws be damned.
While that is technically correct, it might be difficult to enforce. First of all, Congress has refused to give Jeff Sessions funding (zero money) for his archaic fight over state medical marijuana laws. Sessions is apparently trying to revive the old "Reefer Madness" views from the 1930s. Further, if state laws are violated by the federal government, several states have warned that they will sue the federal government because it would deprive medical patients from being able to make a medical choice that benefits them, that it would deprive the states from tax revenue, and that it would needlessly tie up the courts. As it is, over half the states (29) in the US legally allow the use of medical marijuana. It would be better to focus on the problem of opiates. As it is, states that have legalized medical marijuana have seen a decrease in abuse and use of opiates.

Congress Won't Give Jeff Sessions Money to Fight State Marijuana Laws
Congress Agrees To Give Jeff Sessions $0 To Wage War On Medical Marijuana | Zero Hedge

Washington state will resist federal crackdown on legal weed, AG Ferguson says | The Seattle Times
California officials and the marijuana industry prepare to fight a federal crackdown - LA Times

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medica..._United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medica...dical_cannabis

Old 05-14-2017, 01:03 PM

4,830 posts, read 4,940,887 times
Quote:
Sure..

Old 05-15-2017, 09:31 PM

11,225 posts, read 11,251,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Sure..
You laugh, but read this from one of the articles above:

Quote:
However, the states may find their hands tied legally if they try to keep federal agents from raiding and shutting down marijuana growing and sales operations, according to Adam Winkler, a professor at UCLA School of Law.

“I imagine that California will mount a legal challenge to any crackdown on recreational marijuana,” Winkler said. “Yet there is not much California can do. Federal law is supreme over conflicting state law. Federal agents are entitled to enforce federal law anywhere in the country, including California.”

He said there are limits to federal power, but the courts have held that the federal government does have the authority to enforce federal drug laws.
Read it and weep.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:10 PM

255 posts, read 233,391 times
I'm in a state where I can buy marijuana legally without a medical card and I do occasionally eat a 10 mg THC truffle a few hours before I want to fall asleep. However, what I am using for pain relief is high quality sublingual CBD oil and capsules -- totally legal in all states. There is no high with this product. Google pure CBD oil and several informative sites should pop up. I am very pleased with the results so far. It's not inexpensive though.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Read it and weep.
And therein is the difference in the quote from the article. The quote you posted was talking about Recreational Marijuana. However, the point of this thread is about Medical Marijuana. Trump has stated, at least during his campaign, that as far as Medical Marijuana is concerned, it should be left up to the states to decide. He seemed to feel if it's helpful for medical conditions, then he's for it 100%. Of course, he can say one thing during the campaign, but just the opposite as president. In any case, it appears that he's not so keen on the recreational use of marijuana though. We'll see what happens ahead as to whether he sticks by is pledge, or if he sides with AG Jeff Sessions.

TRUE: During campaign, Trump pledged to leave marijuana legalization up to states | PolitiFact California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVwwpi3ObPI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or