U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 PM

16,432 posts, read 5,369,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
I'm in a state where I can buy marijuana legally without a medical card and I do occasionally eat a 10 mg THC truffle a few hours before I want to fall asleep. However, what I am using for pain relief is high quality sublingual CBD oil and capsules -- totally legal in all states. There is no high with this product. Google pure CBD oil and several informative sites should pop up. I am very pleased with the results so far. It's not inexpensive though.
I'm also a fan of CBD oil, but it's important to make sure you get the real thing, made to pharmaceutical standards from the whole plant, and not the generic "hemp oil" that's out there. I am hoping that as legalization spreads, the cost of this product will come down. Including tax and shipping, I'm paying over $70 for a one-ounce bottle! I use three drops twice a day, so one bottle lasts about a month. It does seem to help me sleep, though. And it's hard to describe, but I just feel better generally since I've been using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 11:48 PM

685 posts, read 300,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Seniors are discovering Medical Marijuana can relieve pain without the debilitating side effects of opiates.
This is becoming popular in those states that have legalized medical marijuana.

Your experiences?
Well, I never was a pothead even in the 60's, so I'm sure not gonna be one now.

my experiences with pain? - at 1st. appearance, I take a nap. More things than not are remedied with naps
If the pain outlasts that, I may stay in bed; but hunger makes you move, lol
If the pain needs 'serious medical' interference, only then agree to be tortured... as they have ways to
make pain Chronic...
I refuse to tolerate their chronically-induced pain(s). I find non-drug means to remedy those.
For instance,
several years ago, a surgeon told me "If you refuse my surgery, you will Never! get your wrist back".
I said: "Watch me"
so he intentionally casted me with it OUT of correct alignment. The P.T was amazed that I said, with
tears streaming down my face: "push harder, deeper, & hold it longer".
They said: "You're like Athletes. You have this fire of passion & you will succeed". Ah yes, what doesn't kill you outright, can only make you stronger ...

Old 05-16-2017, 12:11 AM

685 posts, read 300,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
... it's important to make sure you get the real thing, made to pharmaceutical standards from the whole plant, and not the generic "hemp oil" that's out there.

Including tax and shipping, I'm paying over $70 for a one-ounce bottle!
I use three drops twice a day, so one bottle lasts about a month. It does seem to help me sleep, though.
re "$70 for a one-ounce bottle!, lasts about a month." what !?
Great,
so now some of us would need to decide: Eat. or weed, which is more important?
as sure as heck, we could Not afford both.

Since our lifestyle has us falling asleep easily & quickly on just Nutritional food, the answer is clear. FOOD wins

Old 05-16-2017, 12:37 AM

10,824 posts, read 8,084,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Trump has stated, at least during his campaign, that as far as Medical Marijuana is concerned, it should be left up to the states to decide.
Campaign promises be damned, the Trump administration is coming down hard in favor of federal laws on this issue.

His Attorney General is going full blown War-on-Drugs.

Federal vs state marijuana laws were iffy under Bush/Obama, there were lingering questions about which took precedence but in practice at least, state laws were winning.

I live in a very red state that that recently passed a law allowing marijuana use for medical conditions. Trump's minion Sessions has ordered our state to enforce mandatory minimums for marijuana use/possession, without granting any concessions for medical use. Sad.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,611,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I have fibromyalgia and currently take medications that I really don't want to take. If MMJ would help my pain without risk of addiction, I would do it in a heartbeat...and I am a non-smoking, non-drinking, Southern, Bible-belt Christian. (though I have never thumped my Bible...why would I do that? LOL)

I am aware that MMJ is specially formulated to not contain the "high" inducing chemicals, only the pain-relieving ones. And hey, it all boils down to a bunch of chemicals, right?....which is what all medications are. Not sure it is even legal in my state yet, though. (not Arkansas)
I guess I'm a "cousin" of yours as an Evangelical (though I do admit to a chronic on-again-off-again nicotine addiction which I DESPISE!!). I flat-out REFUSED the meds when diagnoaed with RA (immune suppressors- how OBSCENE) and instead see a Naturopath where many "meds" are supplements of plant and herb life in capsule form. I see no difference using marijuana at all. In fact, a local health-food/vitamin store was selling brownies with cannabis oil so I bought one and had it with my morning coffee - AND PROMPTLY FELL ASLEEP !! I guess one could call that a "pain killer" - but I won't be going back for seconds as I prefer to be awake

Old 05-16-2017, 10:48 AM

5,098 posts, read 8,080,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Campaign promises be damned, the Trump administration is coming down hard in favor of federal laws on this issue.

Federal vs state marijuana laws were iffy under Bush/Obama, there were lingering questions about which took precedence but in practice at least, state laws were winning.

I live in a very red state that that recently passed a law allowing marijuana use for medical conditions. Trump's minion Sessions has ordered our state to enforce mandatory minimums for marijuana use/possession, without granting any concessions for medical use. Sad.
There's no question that the A.G. is trying to attack the issue like a rabid dog with no distinction between Medical or Recreational use. Still, it looks like he's had to revise his direct attack and approach it from a sideline angle by hammering down on large suppliers (farms) and closing dispensaries that allow sales for recreational use. I agree that he's only spinning an illusion. Not all dispensaries sell for recreational use, but if the farms are halted, then even the dispensaries that sell only for medical use would ultimately be forced to close because the supply would halt. Sessions has ordered prosecutors to impose very heavy penalties, especially in states that allow recreational use. In any case, Congress has refused to provide any funds to support Session's so-called "War-on-Drugs", at least as it applies to marijuana, and Trump did sign an Executive Order stating no funding to arrest anyone using marijuana for medical purposes, including dispensaries that only sell for medical purposes.

While the laws may have been iffy under Obama's administration, to his credit, he did order the DoJ and law enforcement to stop hassling or arresting people who use marijuana for medical reasons. While that didn't change the Federal Scheduling, it did make it easier for law enforcement to focus their attention on real crimes.

As I also mentioned in my post, Trump can say one thing in a campaign but go the other direction after the election. Believe me, I'm no fan of Trump. He's rather unpredictable as it is. Anyway, currently there's no other alternative than to wait and see how it all pans out. As I understand it, Trump's gripe is primarily over Recreational Marijuana. How will it all turn out? I have no idea. Personally, I think the entire administration and associated cronies need to be booted out of power.

That said, there are states that will not put up with any federal bullying without a lawsuit fight. The state of Washington filed a suit against the federal government over the immigration issue and won an injunction against Trump's Travel Ban. In Feb, at least 17 other states backed Washington and Minnesota over that issue. With regard to the Marijuana issues, it looks like there are a lot of states that will take hard line tactics to task if necessary.

I'm sorry to hear that your state is being strong-armed by Session's archaic order. Just so you don't feel alone, he has also said he will clamp down hard on any state, including the big ones in the west like California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, etc. As near as I can tell, even law enforcement and prosecutors, at least in states that have legalized medical marijuana, are not in favor of his demands. I think there's a good chance the states will not be intimidated by threats and interference and will ultimately prevail. It's pretty weird. We seem to have a bunch of psychos running the country.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM

11,274 posts, read 11,296,076 times
Quote:
And therein is the difference in the quote from the article. The quote you posted was talking about Recreational Marijuana. However, the point of this thread is about Medical Marijuana. Trump has stated, at least during his campaign, that as far as Medical Marijuana is concerned, it should be left up to the states to decide. He seemed to feel if it's helpful for medical conditions, then he's for it 100%. Of course, he can say one thing during the campaign, but just the opposite as president. In any case, it appears that he's not so keen on the recreational use of marijuana though. We'll see what happens ahead as to whether he sticks by is pledge, or if he sides with AG Jeff Sessions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

Biscuitmom has the right idea, Night Bazaar. This whole cracking down hard on drugs has to do with one thing and ONE THING ONLY: control of your life by the Federal government. It's all about the Federal government attempting to force its citizens into realizing that they have total control over what you can say (albeit limited control--free speech 1st amendment rights) and do (TOTAL control). Thus the government wants you to understand that when they say you cannot use cannabinoid for either medicinal purposes or recreational purposes they absolutely 100% mean it AND they are willingly to prosecute you to the fullest extent the law and resources at their disposal in order to put the fear of God into the the rest of the people of the US. "Swatting a few flies" is their favorite method. They "swatted" Walgreen with an 80 million dollar fine and that put the fear of God into every pharmacy in the country to the extend that nobody dispenses painkillers anymore. They "swatted" five physicians by revoking their licenses and putting them in prison. That put the fear of God into every physician in the country to the extent that you cannot even beg a physician in tears and on the floor writhing in pain to give you a prescription for a Schedule II controlled substance anymore and expect any pity from him. And you can bet your bottom dollar they will not hesitate to "swat" a few cannabinoid users, even medicinal users, to drive home the point THEY are in charge and they can say and do whatever they want and by God you'd better obey or face the harsh consequences.

Don't believe for an instant that states passing laws decriminalizing MJ use even for pain is going to cut any ice with the FDA/DEA. They will choose a few carefully-crafted cases that will produce the best headlines that make them look good and then they will come down like a hammer on their hapless victims just like they did Walgreen and the pain management doctors who went to jail. And there's nothing you can do about it.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I guess I'm a "cousin" of yours as an Evangelical (though I do admit to a chronic on-again-off-again nicotine addiction which I DESPISE!!). I flat-out REFUSED the meds when diagnoaed with RA (immune suppressors- how OBSCENE) and instead see a Naturopath where many "meds" are supplements of plant and herb life in capsule form. I see no difference using marijuana at all. In fact, a local health-food/vitamin store was selling brownies with cannabis oil so I bought one and had it with my morning coffee - AND PROMPTLY FELL ASLEEP !! I guess one could call that a "pain killer" - but I won't be going back for seconds as I prefer to be awake
Here's yet another example of why dosage is so important. Half or even one-quarter of the brownie may have relieved your pain without putting you to sleep. This is why I use cannabis for insomnia. It works! And there is no grogginess the next day as with prescription sleep meds.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
There's no question that the A.G. is trying to attack the issue like a rabid dog with no distinction between Medical or Recreational use. Still, it looks like he's had to revise his direct attack and approach it from a sideline angle by hammering down on large suppliers (farms) and closing dispensaries that allow sales for recreational use. I agree that he's only spinning an illusion. Not all dispensaries sell for recreational use, but if the farms are halted, then even the dispensaries that sell only for medical use would ultimately be forced to close because the supply would halt. Sessions has ordered prosecutors to impose very heavy penalties, especially in states that allow recreational use. In any case, Congress has refused to provide any funds to support Session's so-called "War-on-Drugs", at least as it applies to marijuana, and Trump did sign an Executive Order stating no funding to arrest anyone using marijuana for medical purposes, including dispensaries that only sell for medical purposes.

While the laws may have been iffy under Obama's administration, to his credit, he did order the DoJ and law enforcement to stop hassling or arresting people who use marijuana for medical reasons. While that didn't change the Federal Scheduling, it did make it easier for law enforcement to focus their attention on real crimes.

As I also mentioned in my post, Trump can say one thing in a campaign but go the other direction after the election. Believe me, I'm no fan of Trump. He's rather unpredictable as it is. Anyway, currently there's no other alternative than to wait and see how it all pans out. As I understand it, Trump's gripe is primarily over Recreational Marijuana. How will it all turn out? I have no idea. Personally, I think the entire administration and associated cronies need to be booted out of power.

That said, there are states that will not put up with any federal bullying without a lawsuit fight. The state of Washington filed a suit against the federal government over the immigration issue and won an injunction against Trump's Travel Ban. In Feb, at least 17 other states backed Washington and Minnesota over that issue. With regard to the Marijuana issues, it looks like there are a lot of states that will take hard line tactics to task if necessary.

I'm sorry to hear that your state is being strong-armed by Session's archaic order. Just so you don't feel alone, he has also said he will clamp down hard on any state, including the big ones in the west like California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, etc. As near as I can tell, even law enforcement and prosecutors, at least in states that have legalized medical marijuana, are not in favor of his demands. I think there's a good chance the states will not be intimidated by threats and interference and will ultimately prevail. It's pretty weird. We seem to have a bunch of psychos running the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Biscuitmom has the right idea, Night Bazaar. This whole cracking down hard on drugs has to do with one thing and ONE THING ONLY: control of your life by the Federal government. It's all about the Federal government attempting to force its citizens into realizing that they have total control over what you can say (albeit limited control--free speech 1st amendment rights) and do (TOTAL control). Thus the government wants you to understand that when they say you cannot use cannabinoid for either medicinal purposes or recreational purposes they absolutely 100% mean it AND they are willingly to prosecute you to the fullest extent the law and resources at their disposal in order to put the fear of God into the the rest of the people of the US. "Swatting a few flies" is their favorite method. They "swatted" Walgreen with an 80 million dollar fine and that put the fear of God into every pharmacy in the country to the extend that nobody dispenses painkillers anymore. They "swatted" five physicians by revoking their licenses and putting them in prison. That put the fear of God into every physician in the country to the extent that you cannot even beg a physician in tears and on the floor writhing in pain to give you a prescription for a Schedule II controlled substance anymore and expect any pity from him. And you can bet your bottom dollar they will not hesitate to "swat" a few cannabinoid users, even medicinal users, to drive home the point THEY are in charge and they can say and do whatever they want and by God you'd better obey or face the harsh consequences.

Don't believe for an instant that states passing laws decriminalizing MJ use even for pain is going to cut any ice with the FDA/DEA. They will choose a few carefully-crafted cases that will produce the best headlines that make them look good and then they will come down like a hammer on their hapless victims just like they did Walgreen and the pain management doctors who went to jail. And there's nothing you can do about it.
So...have either of you tried medical marijuana yet? Seriously, though, this discussion, interesting as it is, probably belongs in Politics and Other Controversies or Current Events.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:29 PM

5,098 posts, read 8,080,572 times
Quote:
You make some good points here which I do not completely disagree with. But I do disagree with some points. I still stand on my position that if the federal government attempts to interfere with state laws, the states can, and likely will take strong legal action against such interference. Something I'm not seeing in your posts are any references which would be greatly appreciated, although I did look them up. One thing I do agree with is that the federal government does seem to be forcing itself on the citizens of the country. Especially now. With any luck, the leadership of today might change, but it's hard to tell.

My point about the current administration was that Trump made certain statements supporting medical marijuana, and signed an executive order to leave medical marijuana patients and dispensaries alone. His complaint was about the casual use of cannabis. As such, he should be held responsible to uphold his promises and orders. Of course, that's ideal more than it is real. Trump is an unusual individual, and it's hard to know what he'll do next.

I'd have to disagree with your comment that Schedule II drugs are not dispensed anymore. That's not true at all. I think a better description would be that pharmacies must take more precautions in dispensing and distribution centers must keep track of what's going where as well as provide security that things don't end up slipping through and into the wrong hands.

Doctors still can and do prescribe such medications, but that's assuming the prescribing physician isn't one who has abused his or her responsibility by over prescribing. It's also the responsibility of pharmacies to flag and report physicians that over prescribe such substances. Phone prescriptions for such meds are not allowed. It must be in writing. If such professionals are abusing the responsibility of their medical practice, then they deserve what they get. The Schedule II drugs you're referring to are highly addictive and have the potential of killing a person from an overdose. I'm not sure why you even mentioned that because that's a whole different thing than cannabis, apart from cannabis still being listed as a Schedule I drug, along with heroin and LSD.

I know of several instances where the feds made raids on MM dispensaries in the past. Some of these raids involved unlicensed dispensaries that weren't just selling to patients. Fair enough. If a dispensary can not bother with complying with the regulations set by the state, then they have no business being in business. Some were state licensed dispensaries, and that created enough of a flap that Obama ordered law enforcement agencies to stop hassling or arresting patients with valid medical permits for state approved medical conditions in states that allow medical marijuana. It was a matter of leaving it up to the states to decide whether or not to allow medical marijuana. As it is now, there are 29 states that have approved the use of medical marijuana.

In the state I live in, medical marijuana is legal at the state level. That doesn't mean immunity from federal agents though. The patient is required to register with the state to obtain a permit card. Patients, growers and dispensaries are required to abide by state regulations. One of the requirements of the patient is to provide his or her PCP with a form to be filled out by the physician. The form is not a prescription, but rather is evidence that the patient meets the requirements of state recognized medical conditions and identify the condition(s). I've had the same PCP for nearly 35 years, which means my medical records are extensive and go back a long time and he's very familiar with my medical history. No physician in the state can write a medical marijuana prescription for a patient. The form is simply to indicate to the state that medical marijuana may be helpful for the patient's condition. It's nothing more than that, but it is part of the rules that are required for a patient to be issued a permit. In fact, the form itself states that it is not a prescription. It's more of a recommendation that marijuana might be helpful.

That said, the state did recently approve and legalize Recreational Marijuana. I have mixed feelings about it. However, I don't think an RM user should be hassled about it. Prior to the legalization of RM, possession of up to a certain amount meant risking a fine, similar to a traffic fine. For larger amounts, penalties could be more severe. Now, as far as I know, all that's needed to buy RM is photo ID, such as a driver licence which show the age of the purchaser. Some dispensaries allow RM sales, some are strictly MM sales, and some are both.

Quote:
I hear what you're saying, and I agree that Session is trying to be a bull in a china shop. What I think you may be failing to understand is that Congress refused to fund any money for Session's dream of reviving the out-dated War-on-Drugs for raids on people and MM dispensaries in states that have legalized it. I'm not sure if that includes RM, but I'm guessing it probably does. Such raids require funding. You can't really compare it with what happened to Walgreen's and a few pain management doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or