U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 05:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,071,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
So...have either of you tried medical marijuana yet? Seriously, though, this discussion, interesting as it is, probably belongs in Politics and Other Controversies or Current Events.
Yes, I've used medical marijuana for about 4 years and still do. What works for me are buds higher in CBD with a vaporizer. It has a little THC, but not much. I don't use it all the time though, only when necessary. I also use a lotion that's higher in THC, but it doesn't get me high because it's used as a topical. All in all, it works for me, and it has been helpful in improving the overall quality of my life. I'm not able to do handsprings, but I am a lot more active and able to do some things that I thought I'd never be able to do again. I'm glad it's available as an alternative to medications that either didn't work for me, or had strong, undesirable side effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 07:40 PM

16,423 posts, read 5,357,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Yes, I've used medical marijuana for about 4 years and still do. What works for me are buds higher in CBD with a vaporizer. It has a little THC, but not much. I don't use it all the time though, only when necessary. I also use a lotion that's higher in THC, but it doesn't get me high because it's used as a topical. All in all, it works for me, and it has been helpful in improving the overall quality of my life. I'm not able to do handsprings, but I am a lot more active and able to do some things that I thought I'd never be able to do again. I'm glad it's available as an alternative to medications that either didn't work for me, or had strong, undesirable side effects.
Thanks for sharing your experience, NightBazaar. Medical marijuana is definitely a quality of life issue, and it doesn't take much to make a big difference. I haven't tried any high-CBD strains yet, but I'm finding indica strains are great for insomnia and stress relief. I've been using CBD oil, which is not psychoactive, and I also use a non-psychoactive cannabis menthol rub.

I'm also big fan of vaporizers. They give you instant relief, use less material and are easier on the lungs. Also, if you happen to overdo it, any undesirable effects will wear off more quickly with a vaporizer (or smoking) than with tinctures or edibles, whose effects will last for hours.

As for the drug laws discussion, I don't mean to sound like the internet police, but I am concerned that this thread might get shut down by a moderator if it veers too far off course and turns political.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:45 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,071,164 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience, NightBazaar. Medical marijuana is definitely a quality of life issue, and it doesn't take much to make a big difference. I haven't tried any high-CBD strains yet, but I'm finding indica strains are great for insomnia and stress relief. I've been using CBD oil, which is not psychoactive, and I also use a non-psychoactive cannabis menthol rub.

I'm also big fan of vaporizers. They give you instant relief, use less material and are easier on the lungs. Also, if you happen to overdo it, any undesirable effects will wear off more quickly with a vaporizer (or smoking) than with tinctures or edibles, whose effects will last for hours.

As for the drug laws discussion, I don't mean to sound like the internet police, but I am concerned that this thread might get shut down by a moderator if it veers too far off course and turns political.
Thanks. I agree that it can make a big and positive difference, at least it does for me. I'm not too gung-ho about feeling tripped out anymore. Been there, done that. I also understand that Indica strains are helpful for restful sleep. I've heard it described as more mental than Sativa, with Sativa being a bit more trippy. It also seems that while THC is the stony part of cannabis, the CBD parts can be more physically helpful, and as I'm sure you know, it's not what makes a person feel high.

I also agree about vaping. It's a lot easier to gauge how many puffs is enough or not enough until you find what works best for you. 2 or 3 is fine for me. And since I use strains that are relatively high in CBD and very low in THC, I'm able to feel more active and pain-free.

For topicals, I prefer lotions because they aren't as sticky, oily or messy as salves. And they have kind of a nice refreshing floral scent because of other herbals added to the lotion. I used a salve stick for a while, but it tended to soak through my shirt. It washes out fine, but it's a mess after applying it. The lotion doesn't do that.

You didn't sound like the Internet police to me. I didn't hear a whistle or bullhorn.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
You didn't sound like the Internet police to me. I didn't hear a whistle or bullhorn.
Oh, thanks, NightBazaar. I wouldn't want to harsh anyone's mellow.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:05 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,270,617 times
Quote:
So...have either of you tried medical marijuana yet? Seriously, though, this discussion, interesting as it is, probably belongs in Politics and Other Controversies or Current Events.
No, I don't trust the Feds and I have a lot of assets. I'm not too keen on this "assets forfeiture" law. I've heard of Feds busting a hapless victim with a joint just to seize $1,000,000 in his assets just to fund their salaries and raids. To me it's a conflict of interest but I'm not stupid enough to fight City Hall.

Quote:
You make some good points here which I do not completely disagree with. But I do disagree with some points. I still stand on my position that if the federal government attempts to interfere with state laws, the states can, and likely will take strong legal action against such interference. Something I'm not seeing in your posts are any references which would be greatly appreciated, although I did look them up. One thing I do agree with is that the federal government does seem to be forcing itself on the citizens of the country. Especially now. With any luck, the leadership of today might change, but it's hard to tell.

My point about the current administration was that Trump made certain statements supporting medical marijuana, and signed an executive order to leave medical marijuana patients and dispensaries alone. His complaint was about the casual use of cannabis. As such, he should be held responsible to uphold his promises and orders. Of course, that's ideal more than it is real. Trump is an unusual individual, and it's hard to know what he'll do next.

I'd have to disagree with your comment that Schedule II drugs are not dispensed anymore. That's not true at all. I think a better description would be that pharmacies must take more precautions in dispensing and distribution centers must keep track of what's going where as well as provide security that things don't end up slipping through and into the wrong hands.

Doctors still can and do prescribe such medications, but that's assuming the prescribing physician isn't one who has abused his or her responsibility by over prescribing. It's also the responsibility of pharmacies to flag and report physicians that over prescribe such substances. Phone prescriptions for such meds are not allowed. It must be in writing. If such professionals are abusing the responsibility of their medical practice, then they deserve what they get. The Schedule II drugs you're referring to are highly addictive and have the potential of killing a person from an overdose. I'm not sure why you even mentioned that because that's a whole different thing than cannabis, apart from cannabis still being listed as a Schedule I drug, along with heroin and LSD.

I know of several instances where the feds made raids on MM dispensaries in the past. Some of these raids involved unlicensed dispensaries that weren't just selling to patients. Fair enough. If a dispensary can not bother with complying with the regulations set by the state, then they have no business being in business. Some were state licensed dispensaries, and that created enough of a flap that Obama ordered law enforcement agencies to stop hassling or arresting patients with valid medical permits for state approved medical conditions in states that allow medical marijuana. It was a matter of leaving it up to the states to decide whether or not to allow medical marijuana. As it is now, there are 29 states that have approved the use of medical marijuana.

In the state I live in, medical marijuana is legal at the state level. That doesn't mean immunity from federal agents though. The patient is required to register with the state to obtain a permit card. Patients, growers and dispensaries are required to abide by state regulations. One of the requirements of the patient is to provide his or her PCP with a form to be filled out by the physician. The form is not a prescription, but rather is evidence that the patient meets the requirements of state recognized medical conditions and identify the condition(s). I've had the same PCP for nearly 35 years, which means my medical records are extensive and go back a long time and he's very familiar with my medical history. No physician in the state can write a medical marijuana prescription for a patient. The form is simply to indicate to the state that medical marijuana may be helpful for the patient's condition. It's nothing more than that, but it is part of the rules that are required for a patient to be issued a permit. In fact, the form itself states that it is not a prescription. It's more of a recommendation that marijuana might be helpful.

That said, the state did recently approve and legalize Recreational Marijuana. I have mixed feelings about it. However, I don't think an RM user should be hassled about it. Prior to the legalization of RM, possession of up to a certain amount meant risking a fine, similar to a traffic fine. For larger amounts, penalties could be more severe. Now, as far as I know, all that's needed to buy RM is photo ID, such as a driver licence which show the age of the purchaser. Some dispensaries allow RM sales, some are strictly MM sales, and some are both.

I hear what you're saying, and I agree that Session is trying to be a bull in a china shop. What I think you may be failing to understand is that Congress refused to fund any money for Session's dream of reviving the out-dated War-on-Drugs for raids on people and MM dispensaries in states that have legalized it. I'm not sure if that includes RM, but I'm guessing it probably does. Such raids require funding. You can't really compare it with what happened to Walgreen's and a few pain management doctors.
Why would Trump say he supports medicinal MJ and then appoint a guy as AG who has admitted it's his mission in life to completely eradicate all uses of MJ??????? Huge conflict there. My gut tells me Trump wants to look like he supports medical MJ to appease the left but secretly he wants to ban MJ even medicinal and so he appoints his henchman to do it while he keeps his hands clean. As I stated before I believe state laws can go to hell far as Sessions is concerned and he will swat as many little flies as he has to to put the fear of God into everyone around them. That's Big Government's MO and it saves them a lot of time and money.

As for prescription drugs, you actually very wrong, BayArea. Hundreds of thousands of chronic pain victims are being turned away by physicians and if not physicians, then pharmacies who are flat-out telling customers, "No, we won't fill it" or "Sorry, we can't fill it because we're out" when in reality they have it. The other part is that the DEA ordered manufacturers to cut back production of opioids by 1/3 this year and probably more in the upcoming years. Soon it will be 1 mg. availability for every 100 patients in pain who will eventually either kill themselves or die from the stress of dealing with constant excruciating pain. My best advice is to look around for foreign countries to retire in that have more humane laws treating chronic pain. They are out there. You just have to research each country's laws regarding opioid prescribing. I can tell you this: this witch hunt against prescription pain killers is already reaching to terminal cancer patients who are not getting the opioids they need to make their last days comfortable. I am already formulating Plan A, Plan B and Plan C in the event I get cancer. I won't wait around listening to oncologists make promises to me they don't intend to keep that the drugs I need will be there when I am in my last months and too weak to go anywhere else. Plan A when I receive a terminal diagnosis is to refuse any chemo-radiation and immediately go into hospice and say, "If you want my business treating me inpatient then give me the drugs upfront to keep in my fridge. If you refuse then I'll know you're making promises you don't intend to keep and I'll go elsewhere."

Old 05-17-2017, 02:48 PM

2,054 posts, read 867,424 times
I also had some bad pot in the 70's that caused a bad trip. I came to believe it was laced with acid and/or Angel Dust, based on what I heard from other people at the time. It literally made time nearly stand still for about 6 hours and scared the crap out of me. I was sure I was going to die and felt great regret. I remember looking at my watch with my heart beating like a drum for about a minute and finally seeing the second hand advance one second (tick). I got a ride and after about a half hour of driving realized we had only driven about a half of a block to the stop sign on the corner. I had flash backs and hallucinations for about a year afterward. I didn't touch pot again until two years later, when I smoked a joint with friends at a Christmas party just to prove to myself it wouldn't affect me negatively and it didn't. Over the years prior to that incident I smoked some potent pot including maui wowee, but this one time I must have gotten pot laced with something else. The fact that I was already buzzed on Canadian Club probably didn't help. About 10 minutes or so after smoking it I could litterally experience the gears of time just slowing down to a crawl. Around the time of my last smoke they started mandatory random drug testing on my job so I gave it up altogether. If and when I should need the medical variety I would try it. I've been hospitalized a number of times in the last few years. Morphine and delaudid do nothing for me except make me nautious. Oxy works well. But oxy doesn't kill the pain, it only takes the edge off of it. Like someone said about pot for pain, the pain is still there, but you don't care. I've only taken oxy as needed and never got a third refill. Still have half a bottle left from several years ago. After being in hospital for a heart condition a year ago I had to give up coffee and alcohol. I've gotten used to it. But if I had an issue with pain in the future I'd give the MJ a try. The only negative is the cost. The oxy was free on Medicare. But now they no longer prescribe it, a full scale crack down on prescribing opiates is the latest medical fad. So maybe they are priming the pump for MJ. Some states allow you to grow your own, which is the only fair way to make it available since insurance doesn't presently cover it. Maybe that will change too once the big corporations get into the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I agree with you Tatanka. MMJ, in general, is NOT stripped of THC or bred to be low in THC. There are purposely strains that are high in THC and others that are low in THC, same with CBD, etc. They all have a place in the spectrum and are good for various medical and/or recreational purposes, as suits their characteristics.

As for how I knew that the weed I smoked once, years ago, was laced...well I'd definitely smoked my share in the past and was very familiar with how it affected me. But this stuff produced a violent reaction that was nothing like anything I'd had before, violent nausea, vomiting, paranoia, and hallucinogenic effects after a couple of puffs. A terrible experience, especially if you aren't aware of what is happening.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
As for prescription drugs, you actually very wrong, BayArea.
I think you are actually referring to NightBazaar, not me. The opioid crisis is a whole different subject that deserves its own thread.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:27 PM

983 posts, read 513,021 times
I live in a state where both medical and recreational MJ is illegal but I have a friend that drives up to Colorado to buy the stuff and brings it back and I give her money to get me some. I love getting high and getting the munchies!

Also don't get all the talk of "overdosing". You can't OD on MJ. The worst thing that could happen is you eat most of the food in your home and pass out lol. Also, the social aspect is really fun! I realize this board is more for seniors but about once or twice a month me and my girlfriends will meet up at one of their houses, pass a few joints around/pass the bong watch chick flicks or play video games and have a blast! Also we'll pitch in and order 4 or 5 pizzas haha.

Last edited by Marleinie; 05-17-2017 at 05:46 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post

Also don't get all the talk of "overdosing". You can't OD on MJ.
By "overdose" I mean the act of ingesting a higher amount of THC than a person can comfortably tolerate. This can cause rapid heart beat and feelings of panic. It is very unpleasant and can take hours to subside, although a THC overdose is not dangerous or life-threatening like an opiod OD.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:12 AM

11,253 posts, read 11,270,617 times
Quote:
By "overdose" I mean the act of ingesting a higher amount of THC than a person can comfortably tolerate. This can cause rapid heart beat and feelings of panic. It is very unpleasant and can take hours to subside, although a THC overdose is not dangerous or life-threatening like an opiod OD.
Old people who get one of these rapid pounding heartbeats from too much THC probably would go into a fatal arrhythmia and then their heart would stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or