U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,623,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
It's a plant, not a drug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
So are poppies.
So are foxgloves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digoxin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,990,356 times
You're lying to yourselves. You just want to get high.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:46 PM

16,425 posts, read 5,363,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
There are certainly going to be people who take advantage of medical MJ who don't have a medical issue but just want to get high. But I don't see the problem. People are going to get high no matter what. It's human nature. That doesn't mean that cannabis is a bad thing or that it has no medical benefits. And in my opinion there's nothing inherently wrong with using it just because you enjoy it so long as you are not harming yourself or anyone else. There are lots worse ways to get high.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:00 AM

983 posts, read 513,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
There are certainly going to be people who take advantage of medical MJ who don't have a medical issue but just want to get high. But I don't see the problem. People are going to get high no matter what. It's human nature. That doesn't mean that cannabis is a bad thing or that it has no medical benefits. And in my opinion there's nothing inherently wrong with using it just because you enjoy it so long as you are not harming yourself or anyone else. There are lots worse ways to get high.
I bet most people the have an issue with people smoking a joint don't have an issue with people drinking a bottle of vodka.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:30 AM

1,202 posts, read 683,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Grew up in white middle class suburbs of all types of occupations.

The alcohol was flowing all the time that I can recall at friends and relatives houses.

Whats the difference? Try to provide an answer that does not include the phrase that one is legal and the other is not.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 AM

5,096 posts, read 8,075,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
I bet most people the have an issue with people smoking a joint don't have an issue with people drinking a bottle of vodka.
In the past, that was quite true. Even today, there are still some who have a Reefer Madness mentality. However, the times are a-changing and fewer people today have such negative views. The current trend is that the majority of Americans support the use of marijuana in one way or another. Fewer people today have a negative issue about those who smoke a joint. Young adults, senior citizens, cowboys and city-slickers, why even beer-drankin' rednecks (Yeee-haaw!) have been known to enjoy firing up a doobie.

According to polls last month (April), 61% of Americans think marijuana should be legalized. 71% think the federal government should not prohibit the sale and use of marijuana. And a whopping 88% of Americans are in favor of Medical Marijuana. In other words, fewer people have an issue with people who smoke a joint. In other words, the majority of people support marijuana. Well over half the states and territories in the US have passed laws to allow the use of medical marijuana, and several more states likely to pass such laws this year. That puts it into the majority.

Poll: 60% of US thinks marijuana use should be legal - CNNPolitics.com
State Marijuana Laws in 2017 Map
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medica..._United_States
More than half of American adults have tried marijuana, poll finds - ABC News

Old 05-20-2017, 04:26 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,855,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Grew up in white middle class suburbs of all types of occupations.

The alcohol was flowing all the time that I can recall at friends and relatives houses.

Whats the difference? Try to provide an answer that does not include the phrase that one is legal and the other is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
In the past, that was quite true. Even today, there are still some who have a Reefer Madness mentality. However, the times are a-changing and fewer people today have such negative views. The current trend is that the majority of Americans support the use of marijuana in one way or another. Fewer people today have a negative issue about those who smoke a joint. Young adults, senior citizens, cowboys and city-slickers, why even beer-drankin' rednecks (Yeee-haaw!) have been known to enjoy firing up a doobie.

According to polls last month (April), 61% of Americans think marijuana should be legalized. 71% think the federal government should not prohibit the sale and use of marijuana. And a whopping 88% of Americans are in favor of Medical Marijuana. In other words, fewer people have an issue with people who smoke a joint. In other words, the majority of people support marijuana. Well over half the states and territories in the US have passed laws to allow the use of medical marijuana, and several more states likely to pass such laws this year. That puts it into the majority.

Poll: 60% of US thinks marijuana use should be legal - CNNPolitics.com
State Marijuana Laws in 2017 Map
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medica..._United_States
More than half of American adults have tried marijuana, poll finds - ABC News
I live in one of those legal marijuana states. Thought we cant buy it in stores yet it is coming soon. In most states even though it is not legal it is decriminalized. It is stupid to put people in jail for a bit of grass.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:39 PM

3,665 posts, read 2,816,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
DW bought me some MJ cream/salve for my hands which have some arthritis pain. I tried it a couple of times but honestly I get more out of ibuprofen so haven't used the MJ any longer. It did not get me stoned or anything. I used to like smoking it 50 years ago but have no interest in doing that now.
Medical Mary Jane is optimized for low THC content. Back in the sixties before Vietnam got out of hand, we wanted a high THC content.

I understand that high content THC is actually kind of dangerous for a geezer like me.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:43 PM

3,665 posts, read 2,816,578 times
I actually voted against it on the ballot. Having used the stuff in the 60's, I see it as way more debilitating in everyday life than casual drinking. It was too easy to be heavily stoned and have no one even notice, and what that did you your ability to focus your life is awful. Its not possible to be heavily drunk and have no one notice.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:47 PM

5,096 posts, read 8,075,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Medical Mary Jane is optimized for low THC content. Back in the sixties before Vietnam got out of hand, we wanted a high THC content.

I understand that high content THC is actually kind of dangerous for a geezer like me.
What TwoByFour was talking about was MJ creams/salves. I have a salve stick (similar to deodorant stick). Total weight is 68 grams. The stick contains THC 287.6 mg and CBD 47.6 mg. Of course, there are other ingredients. I don't care for salves because they're kind of greasy. It can easily soak right through a shirt leaving a wet spot. It washes out just fine though. There are CBD salves that have no THC. I prefer a lotion form because it's not as messy. The point is that regardless of how much THC a salve or lotion might have it doesn't get you high because it's applied as a topical to the surface of the skin. Apparently, it does not get into the bloodstream.

One thing that TwoByFour noted is that it either didn't work, or it didn't work as well as ibuprofen. I think it would be incorrect for anyone to assume that medical marijuana is necessarily going to work for everyone. I have arthritis in my shoulders, wrists, hips, knees, etc., and it works quite nicely for me. It's possible TwoByFour might have had certain expectations of how it would feel, or maybe it was just crap. But I'd have to assume that, for whatever reasons, it simply didn't work for TwoByFour. The only way to know for sure if it's going to work or not is to try it.

Yeah, there were some potent varieties back in the 60s. As I understand, there are some today that are far stronger than anything in the past. Most reliable dispensaries these days have the THC/CBD percentage levels marked so you know what you're getting. As for whether high content THC is dangerous or not for geezers, depends on the geezer, or what the geezer is accustomed to . I know a few old geezers that consume mj with high THC levels that I wouldn't want. I've been there done that long ago as it is. I'm not interested in getting launched into the stratosphere. Too many other priority things to do and places to go, although I don't might a light buzz at night at home. Any buds I get are for vaping, and have pretty low levels of THC with higher levels of CBD, like Harlequin or Shark Shock (weird names).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or