Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 02:47 PM

11,119 posts, read 9,756,639 times

Advertisements

Medical MJ comes in many, many varieties. Some are specifically bred to be higher in THC, and some are bred to be higher in the other cannabinoids and low in THC. THC is what gets you high and is mostly active in the brain, the other CBD's are what usually works to relieve pain, etc, and affects receptors in various parts of the body, making certain strains more helpful for certain symptoms. It comes in many forms including edibles. Most cancer sufferers that use it for appetite and pain relief use edibles such as lollipops, since smoking is usually not recommended for cancer. Many other edibles exist such as rice krispy treats, brownies, hard candies, etc. They are made with an extraction of the buds/leaves, so you aren't eating the leaves.

Here's some good information. https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis...nabis-medicine

As luvarkansas says in the post quoted above...its all just chemicals, which is all any other drug is. It's illegality as medicine in some states makes about as much sense as banning aspirin. Most drugs are synthetic versions of one or another plant-derived chemicals. I'm sure pharmaceutical companies would like to keep it so that we cant just grow our own medications in the back yard or basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 02:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
I don't have anything I need it for, so no. (And recreational is legal here as well.)

On the other hand, I have friends with a couple of long-term conditions (chronic pain, nausea from chemotherapy, epilepsy) who say it works for them. I have no reason to doubt them, and even if the effect is entirely psychosomatic, it seems to be working and with no added side effects. The friend with chronic pain had to go through several varieties, dosages and delivery methods until he found one that worked.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:56 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Little chocolate bars from the dispensary in CA. Called "Bhang"---top quality chocolate and just a dime-size bit helps sleep for me. Though it takes over an hour to feel it. Seems to help with arthritis pain too. Homemade brownies are a kick too, once in a great while.

Don't like smoking and never did it in my youth. Here, it's legal to possess a small amount, but not to buy, sell or grow. Very logical.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:30 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Not me, but we just had lunch with a friend of ours. He's troubled by frequent back/sciatic pain. He does *not* want addictive painkillers. Of the OTC painkillers, only Aleve helps his pain. But, it does a number on his gut.

He recently tried a CBD-type marijuana. He says it works just like the Aleve, but no gut problems from it. Trouble is, it's effin' expensive!!!

Old 02-20-2017, 06:36 PM

679 posts, read 878,007 times
I am a medical patient and have been for three years. It helps me with a variety of ailments - back pain and tendinitis, irritable bowel, anxiety, insomnia and PTSD. Plus, it's fun!

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,784,210 times
I am in healthcare and have worked in states with MMJ laws. I have yet to see it help anyone.

Those who used various forms for pain, still refused therapy activities or exercise because of pain. Those who used it for nausea still complained of nausea to me. Those who used it for insomnia, still complained they "didn't sleep good" when they had something to do.

But not a one was willing to stop the MMJ and try anything else. Hmmmm. I also find it amusing that people who scream about genetically modified foodstuffs, often have no issue with genetically modified weed.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:03 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
If I were ever to try it, it would have to be in some form not smoked.
They have the OIL and edibles. This is going to be great for seniors who have pain and can't sleep. Don't knock it until you have tried it. Seems to be the answer for lots of cancer patients who have nausea and vomiting.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:14 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Has anyone heard about the new marijuana toothpaste? You still get cavities, but you don't care!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:46 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
What was the question again?

Old 02-20-2017, 08:25 PM

919 posts, read 609,339 times
The cannabinoid THC is just one of 113 identified (& still counting with research) & they all work synergistically.
'Medical' cannabis strains typically have high CBD of around 4% (usually lower than 1% in other strains) & THC levels also around 4% (commonly between 15%-30%)
Cannabinoids like CBD negate the THC effect.

Research has discovered that we have an endocannabinoid system that happily accepts the cannabinoids & is leading them to believe it's why cannabis can cure &/or treat so many conditions.
One group of scientists now believe that cannabis can be beneficial for everyone & are proposing that the word 'therapeutic' should replace the term 'recreational'.

Surgery 17 years ago, severed a nerve that regrew as a neuroma (a ganglion of nerve endings) that causes pain that ranged between very uncomfortable to excruciatingly unbearable.
My pain clinic prescribed an anti-epileptic that not only can sudden cessation cause death but also causes liver damage & a host of unpleasant psychological side-effects, because "It might help." (no it doesn't)

Much to my relief, I found that just 2-3 pipes of cannabis a day, relieves most of my nerve pain. I now sleep soundly, have somewhat of an appetite again, am no longer depressed & it has reduced my opiate medications.
For me, cannabis is a godsend.

It was made illegal mainly because BigPharma can't patent a natural plant that is far superior to their often toxic harmaceuticals & chemical intensive cotton can't compete with the far superior hemp fibre, that grows on less water & no chemicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement