U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 06:40 PM

164 posts, read 92,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatanka01 View Post
To my knowledge, MMJ is NOT formulated this way and will typically have a high THC content. In Colorado, it's typical for MMJ stores to be next door to recreational counterparts -- same company, same supply line. In fact the recreational supplies started out as leftovers from the MMJ businesses.

That said, the varieties are wide (think craft beers) and there are low-THD / high-CBD strains, oils, etc.

For anyone wanting a look at what's available, quite a lot of these stores are online. They can't sell by mail, but they can advertise online and usually include prices.
The medical market started just using the higher grade strains that could be found on the street and then refining that to have high CBD and low THC, though there are some medical cases where you actually want the THC. The recreational side of the business is all about THC content, flavor, and the individual effects like breeding for strains that don't make you sleepy. Not every recreational user wants to get glued to the couch every time they want to get high, you see the same thing with alcohol, sure you could just get cheap malt liquor or do shots of Everclear or 151 if your objective is to just get hammered, but on the other end of the scale you have high end craft beers, single malt scotches and wines that are less about getting drunk then they are about the flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 06:48 PM

16,415 posts, read 5,350,870 times
I've been an officially legal MMJ patient since 2016. I am using it for help mostly with insomnia but I also have IBS, depression and anxiety. For years I had been using Benadryl every night for sleep, and it worked well. But then I read a news article which said that in seniors, regular use of these OTC sleep aids that contain antihistamines has been correlated with a higher risk of dementia. Correlation is not causation, of course, but the story scared me into asking my doctor for an MMJ recommendation, which (to my surprise) he readily gave.

My biggest fear after becoming legal was that cannabis would cause paranoia. Back in the 1960s and 70s I used to smoke pot recreationally, but was never a big fan because it would often make me feel anxious, self-conscious and withdrawn. These unpleasant side effects negated whatever euphoria I got from weed. Eventually I stopped using it altogether (except for the very rare social toke or two) for over 20 years.

It wouldn't be worth the relief from my symptoms if I had to put up with that again. But thanks to helpful employees at my local dispensary (and the website Leafly, which others have mentioned) I was steered toward indica strains that didn't trigger the anxiety the way sativa strains do.

My experience so far has been mixed and quite different from what I expected. For one thing, I've found that smoking is out of the question. It burns my lungs. Even vaping is a bit harsh for me, so I mostly stick to tinctures and edibles. These are more pleasant to use, especially the gummis and chocolate bars, and it is easier to control the dosage. The products are clearly labeled, so you know exactly what you're getting.

Cannabis doesn't seem to help me with depression, which was a disappointment, and it is only somewhat helpful for insomnia. Between 10 and 15 mg of THC gives me a buzzy, giddy feeling - like having a drink. It helps relax me, but doesn't knock me out. So I'm still experimenting to find the right products and the right dosage.

I've tried hemp oil (which is not psychactive and therefore can be bought legally in all 50 states), but it didn't help at all. I've read that there is a lot of bogus hemp oil out there that is low-quality and contains very little of the active ingredient.

A user at the drugs.com website who struggles with insomnia, recommended CBD oil, a specific brand that is sold online. Like hemp oil it is legal in all 50 states. i am hoping it will do the trick. The member who wrote about it said that just a couple of drops under the tongue was all that it took for a good night's sleep.

I feel a lot better about using cannabis than pharmaceutical drugs, which can have side effects and can be addictive. Cannabis for me is definitely not addictive, and it's also self-limiting because I know that if I use too much, the effects are unpleasant. More isn't necessarily better, so it's easy to use in moderation. This is a good thing because high-quality legal cannabis is a lot pricier than the ditch weed we smoked back in the day, and it's not covered by insurance or deductible as a medical expense. Also on the positive side, I have not had a problem with "the munchies" (perhaps because I use MJ before bed). In fact I have lost more than 10 lbs.

While it hasn't been a miracle cure, I believe cannabis has many legitimate medical uses which are only now beginning to be discovered, and I believe that seniors shouldn't be afraid to try it.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 02-25-2017 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Edited for clarity by the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:03 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

A user at the drugs.com website who struggles with insomnia, recommended CBD oil, a specific brand that is sold online. Like hemp oil it is legal in all 50 states. i am hoping it will do the trick. The member who wrote about it said that just a couple of drops under the tongue was all that it took for a good night's sleep.
It may not be anymore.
"
The US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) made CBD oil a little more federally illegal in a little-noticed bureaucratic maneuver this morning.
Today’s Federal Register (Dec. 14, 2016) contains an item (21 CFR Part 1308) that establishes a new drug code for “marihuana extract.” ..........snip.....
"There is no major change in law brought about by the Register item. Rather, it serves to clarify and reinforce the DEA’s position on all cannabis extracts, including CBD oil. That position is: They are all federally illegal Schedule I substances. “Extracts of marihuana will continue to be treated as Schedule I controlled substances,” the notice says."

You can read more here...........
https://www.leafly.com/news/politics...o-joke-illegal

Old 02-26-2017, 09:32 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Default Tried Medical Marijuana yet?

Never did and doubtful that I ever will. As a former state narcotics agent it just doesn't appeal to me.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 02-26-2017 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: See below post

Old 02-26-2017, 09:54 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,844,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
From something I read today in my local on-line news, there is going to be a "crack down" on marijuana, supposedly for public safety.

I don't use it but have no problem with those who do use it.

I heard a discussion recently re marijuana vs alcohol. It was stated that some who use alcohol can have a personality change that causes them to become angry and quite violent (yes, I know this to be true, my father had this problem).

Then the speaker went on to say the marijuana user gets laid back and mellow with no tendency toward violence.

Wonder what all of you think.
I have never been in a fight while smoking pot but I certainly have been in a few scrapes while drinking in a bar and other places.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:19 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,200,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Never did and doubtful that I ever will. As a former state narcotics agent it just doesn't appeal to me.
Same here. Former health care provider. But it would be interesting to see what all the hype is about. I would use it if I had a debilitating illness or if I needed palliative care....

Old 02-26-2017, 10:38 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Same here. Former health care provider. But it would be interesting to see what all the hype is about. I would use it if I had a debilitating illness or if I needed palliative care....
Just recalled that I tried it once in 1969, when I returned from overseas, just out of idle curiosity to see what all the hype was about - long before I went into law enforcement. Took two "tokes" and didn't like it. Never tried it again.

One of the things I disliked about it until so-called medical marijuana became "acceptable" was not the substance itself but the fact that it was illegal - still is federally - and you had to deal with law-breaking scum to get it unless you grew your own. Of course in my mind that made you one of them. Now I really couldn't care less but don't want it in my house or smoked around me. Besides, I hate the smell.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 02-26-2017 at 10:47 AM..

Old 02-26-2017, 11:58 AM

164 posts, read 92,492 times
The only reason it was made illegal was racism against latinos as it was associated with Mexicans. The result has been billions of dollars wasted enforcing racist based morality that caused hundreds of thousands of lives to be shattered due to the creation of a criminally run black market for it in several countries for what used to be available as a mail order medical item in any catalog from the time period.

So you hate the smell, big deal, I hate the smell of most cologne, perfume, air fresheners etc. should they be illegal?

Old 02-26-2017, 12:07 PM

5,091 posts, read 8,065,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Just recalled that I tried it once in 1969, when I returned from overseas, just out of idle curiosity to see what all the hype was about - long before I went into law enforcement. Took two "tokes" and didn't like it. Never tried it again.

One of the things I disliked about it until so-called medical marijuana became "acceptable" was not the substance itself but the fact that it was illegal - still is federally - and you had to deal with law-breaking scum to get it unless you grew your own. Of course in my mind that made you one of them. Now I really couldn't care less but don't want it in my house or smoked around me. Besides, I hate the smell.
So in other words, you confess that you were actually one of the "law-breaking scum" back in 1969, eh? You're in big trouble now Mister! That's gonna go on your Permanent Record! Two tokes and you didn't like it. Did you get a buzz, or did you a headache from it?

If you hate the smell, and you don't want to be around it or have it in your house, I can certainly understand that. The thing is that it sounds like what you're talking about is marijuana being used just to get high, or as you said "to see what all the hype was about". However, since the topic of the thread is about "Medical Marijuana", and in more recent times have found it can help some people for a number of chronic medical conditions, then do you think "Medical Marijuana" should be reclassified nationally to allow people to have that as an option?

Old 02-26-2017, 12:09 PM

13,317 posts, read 25,550,246 times
I think the previous poster was just saying why he doesn't care for MJ (effect, his former job, smell) and not that it should be illegal because of that.

I personally would rather see law enforcement going after the real bad guys and the average dangers to society (like unsafe drivers for whatever reason) than people who smoke MJ for whatever reason. And if people can safely grow their own, like Colorado, there's no need to deal with scuzzes who are dealing and black market and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or