Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times

Advertisements

Seniors are discovering that Medical Marijuana can relieve pain without the debilitating side effects of opiates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/n...e=sectionfront

This is becoming popular in those states that have legalized medical marijuana.

Your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 06:41 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Seniors are discovering that Medical Marijuana can relieve pain..
This is becoming popular...
Remove the silliness of the term "medical" qualifier.

The health benefits of cannabis are myriad and have been known for centuries
Attached Thumbnails
Tried Medical Marijuana yet?-b60a1379c0256b03861910accb824641.jpg  

Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,205 times
My neighbor had prescription and he gave me some to try. It was more potent than anything I remember from back in the day.

Of course, the word "remember" is used subjectively here.....HA !!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:54 AM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
Like some, I graduated from "Been There And Done It" University. In California, the medical adjective is no longer necessary with recreation being the new adjective of choice.

Sticking with the medical adjective, I'm amazed at how many ill people there are in California who are card-carrying members of what is known as the 420 Club.

At this point in my life, if it doesn't help me run faster, jump higher, lift heavier, move with more agility, think clear and quicker, I'll pass. But I do believe those who suffer from chronic pain might experience some temporary relief from it being "high" just like a bottle of whiskey temporarily numbs the toils of emotional and physical pain.

While one never knows, if I ever one day I'm afflicted with chronic pain, I hope and pray I'll be able to carry my cross without resorting to becoming a modern-day pothead.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
If I had intractable pain, I'd certainly try medical MJ. To the poster who thought "medical MJ" is a misnomer, there are many strains of MJ and the medical is much higher in the component CBD, and not in THC, the latter being the ingredient that supposedly makes people high. The one time I did buy recreational MJ in Colorado for a friend with pain, I was asked if the friend wanted to be high or not. (Her doctor would not give her a MMJ card, and her county did not permit sales, so I went up to the county that did sell).

I have nothing against opiates for pain, like post-surgical pain. If I had chronic pain, I'd certainly try MMJ but my experience as a teenager was that no matter what the setting or type, MJ just made me numb and hungry (which I was both anyway). I tried an edible on vacation in CO and got... numb. I would like to know what the high feeling is, but just don't seem to have the body chemistry for it to work that way.

I certainly don't see any problem in MMJ for pain or other concerns that don't work with regular medication. I am wondering about the vague claims the MMJ helps virtually everything, but if I had a condition that MMJ helped me with daily life, I'd be all for it.

The town I'm moving to has two dispensaries, very sleek and professional. Also lots of microbrews and nearby skiing. Of course, I don't drink, smoke or ski. The lengths I'll go to for low humidity!

I did ask a friend with bad COPD if MJ helps (he's smoked every day for many year, along with a bad cigarette habit, which will be ending his life). He said that MJ doesn't help pain, it just makes you not care. He also holds that MJ smoke doesn't affect COPD which I think is just denial.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:55 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
If I were ever to try it, it would have to be in some form not smoked.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:09 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
If I were ever to try it, it would have to be in some form not smoked.
I used to have a six chambered water pipe in the early 70's. It was like breathing in air.

45 years ago, I found brownies were quite good. The only problem was that it would tend to hit you in the middle of a word at the supermarket when you were out buying snacks to feed that need that non-medical marijuana brought on. and then you had trouble figuring out how to pay for the items.

Maine has no legalized it recreationally, but most towns are delaying it because they don't want marijuana bars showing up. After that, would be next? Pretty soon they have alcohol bars, or even (heaven forbid) strip clubs.

Oh....wait......

Old 02-20-2017, 09:51 AM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I used to have a six chambered water pipe in the early 70's. It was like breathing in air.

45 years ago, I found brownies were quite good. The only problem was that it would tend to hit you in the middle of a word at the supermarket when you were out buying snacks to feed that need that non-medical marijuana brought on. and then you had trouble figuring out how to pay for the items.

Maine has no legalized it recreationally, but most towns are delaying it because they don't want marijuana bars showing up. After that, would be next? Pretty soon they have alcohol bars, or even (heaven forbid) strip clubs.

Oh....wait......
How about laughing clubs?

Old 02-20-2017, 10:19 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
I have fibromyalgia and currently take medications that I really don't want to take. If MMJ would help my pain without risk of addiction, I would do it in a heartbeat...and I am a non-smoking, non-drinking, Southern, Bible-belt Christian. (though I have never thumped my Bible...why would I do that? LOL)

I am aware that MMJ is specially formulated to not contain the "high" inducing chemicals, only the pain-relieving ones. And hey, it all boils down to a bunch of chemicals, right?....which is what all medications are. Not sure it is even legal in my state yet, though. (not Arkansas)

Old 02-20-2017, 10:27 AM

776 posts, read 956,118 times
The Canadian perspective.

We have a national law regarding the use and sale of medicinal marijuana that is now in effect.

That is one of the many differences here, compared to the US.

The current law in all parts of Canada, regarding personal possession , is very relaxed. It is a minor non criminal offence like getting a parking ticket. The fine is $70. No criminal record. Our Police are in favour of eliminating the laws about marijuana use. They say "we have much more important things to do than busting people for minor possession ".

Our Federal Government /Parliament is debating a bill that would totally decriminalise possession for recreational use. The rules would be ....Growers would be Federally licensed , and inspected, the retailers would be taxed on their profits and the legal age to buy or possess would be 19.

Polls taken here show that the vast majority of Canadians are in favour of the proposed legislation.

I watch some US TV police programs such as Live PD ... and laugh at the mad dog attitude of many US cops, re marijuana. A few crumbs on the floor of a car, and they act like they just found 50 pounds of crack cocaine. It is going to take a lot of re-education to get them to focus on more important criminal acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement