U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:39 PM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times

Advertisements

I'm not certain I will be remembered for it but I hope I have helped bring mental illness to the forefront rather than hidden behind closed doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 05:57 PM

6,256 posts, read 4,734,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
...... But I think that even say tenacity is a "gene", and some people are naturally more tenacious. Talent, tenacity, whatever. Take the overall amalgamation of these qualities. Well then, those who have more of them, are such, that more ought to be expected of them.

I don't think "tenacity" is any more inherited than what we often call "talent".

These characteristics might be partly inherited but mostly they are learned. Let me tell you about my younger daughter and see if you agree. I would say she was born anything but tenacious. In grade school she picked a musical instrument and put in the minimum. She occasionally brought it home but never practiced. Homework was about the same. Boys and friends and hanging out were more important. We did not especially push her and never made her practice. Eventually she decided other kids were learning to play and she wanted to learn also. Every Saturday we hauled her to a lesson but she still rarely practiced. Eventually she did start to learn and started to find playing fun. By 7th grade she started to have some serious interest. By 8th grade she was accepted in the pre-conservatory program at Manhattan School of Music. We took her the first few times, then she was on her own. Every Saturday at 6:30am I dropped her off at the train, after 2 hours and a NYC subway ride she started her classes for the day. At 7:30 pm I picked her up at the train station. She made lots of friends, had a great time and probably practiced all of a couple of hours a week outside of Saturdays. Over the years she developed a love of music and started to take it seriously. To make a long story short she spent 5 1/2 years in college and graduated with a degree in music performance from the Peabody Conservatory, and completed a BS in engineering from Johns Hopkins and finished a masters from Peabody in acoustical engineering.

My wife and I provided the opportunities. We set the example of how one could live a life of accomplishment and passion and learning. She eventually caught fire but it took years and years and years.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:19 PM

56,093 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm not certain I will be remembered for it but I hope I have helped bring mental illness to the forefront rather than hidden behind closed doors.
A worthy accomplishment. Thank you.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:46 PM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times
I am to a point in life where I realize I am not going to change the world. The best I can do is leave the best impression on family, friends, and colleagues I possibly can.

I have a lot of unmet goals and unfulfilled dreams, but I take each day at a time.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 PM

878 posts, read 470,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I really do not understand. You and several others seem to have pride in leaving behind nothing of value or at least stating that. Is this some sort of humor? Or supposed to be cute or witty? Or based on modesty? Or just trolling for a reaction?

If this is really true, is it hard to get up in the morning and face another day without purpose? Or are animal comforts and time consuming activities enough? I guess it is very common, but I really do not understand this approach to life.
I don't think you have to have a grand plan as long as you treat people well along the way. And not get too wrapped up in leaving a legacy by design.

Saying that being fertilizer for an impressive tree is "nothing of value" seems a little judgmental. Did you ever consider that some people actually WOULD consider that a noble use of their remains, a legacy of sorts?

Yes, it is hard on some days to get up and keep toiling away (for what?), paying bills, living life looking for some larger purpose. It's hard, but it can be done. Believe me.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:04 AM

6 posts, read 2,176 times
i would like to leave love and compasion for your family and felow mankind..i wish people would learn to ttake from me how to really care for someone you dont even know and have a genuine love for that person. i think that is what our purpose here on earth is..to help everyone thats in need or at least direct them in the way and really care about their situation..people have abused our forgiveness, and love and thoughtfulnes and it has created a hateful, non careing world

Old 02-22-2017, 01:30 AM

6 posts, read 2,176 times
Wink leaving legacy of love

i would like to leave love and compasion for family and felow mankind..i wish people would learn to ttake from me how to really care for someone you dont even know and have a genuine love for that person. i think that is what our purpose here on earth is..to help everyone thats in need or at least direct them in the way and really care about their situation..people have abused our forgiveness, and love and thoughtfulnes and it has created a hateful, non caring world...they say when you die you cant take it with you ...well they are wrong...there is one and only one thing you leave this world with and that is love and love is what will keep us throughout all of eternity

Old 02-22-2017, 03:05 AM

12,703 posts, read 14,081,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance4life View Post
I want to thank the OP and everyone for their contributions to this thread, which have been extremely thought provoking to me.

So, the way I see it is this... I actually believe (maybe wrongly) that human civilization is and has been progressing through the years since the dawn of time. Whether we know it or not, each of us has had a role in maintaining that civilization and many have had roles in advancing civilization as well. I believe this is the collective legacy of human beings to the next generations. Every time we give our best without expecting a reward, we enhance the lives of those who will come after us without cost.

Being a part of this is more than enough for me. When we give of ourselves either as parents/family members or as workers/professionals we have played a small part in creating a great legacy for all.
Yes! to the above. Much of our best giving probably doesn't have our "Made by Joe Smith" tag on it, but is an act or acts that may no longer be remembered in connection with us, but have left positive impressions and ripples still visible "out there" somewhere in other lives.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:29 AM

676 posts, read 334,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
My legacy is I survived.
And to survive and thrive would be that much better.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 AM

676 posts, read 334,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So I just helped re-home a 12 year old kitty whom the no-kill shelters wouldn't take because they said she was too old, they're full and she wouldn't stand a good chance of being adopted.

So now she has a great new home to live out her "golden years."

If that's all I'm ever remembered for, that's fine with me. Anyway I'm not keeping score.
This is probably the most important accomplishment of all ...... well to me anyway.

I love it when unadoptable animals find a caring home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or