U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2017, 09:48 AM
 
676 posts, read 335,648 times
Reputation: 1221

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
For me it is not just a legacy, it is fulfilling a joy of learning and growth and accomplishment. Sorry I try to avoid taking a superior attitude. I understand that the vast majority of people do not have the same outlook on life. Most seem content to get through life without too much pain. That alone can be quite an accomplishment.
My question is why does there need to be any accomplishment at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2017, 10:17 AM
 
6,314 posts, read 4,762,537 times
Reputation: 12963
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
My question is why does there need to be any accomplishment at all?
No, there is no "need" for you to accomplish anything. Who would impose any such need?
Do you even need to live? What difference does your life make to anyone else except for children if you have them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Idaho
1,457 posts, read 1,159,257 times
Reputation: 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
For me it is not just a legacy, it is fulfilling a joy of learning and growth and accomplishment. Sorry I try to avoid taking a superior attitude. I understand that the vast majority of people do not have the same outlook on life. Most seem content to get through life without too much pain. That alone can be quite an accomplishment.
jrkliny,

IMO, you should try a bit harder in not sounding haughty, superior and condescending as expressed in your previous statements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny
We can accomplish and excel to a level that at first seems impossible. It is a matter of work and dedication and passion and desire along with critical thinking and reasoning that propels us forward. Without that we are just another animal that roamed the earth, reproduced and then died.

I really do not understand. You and several others seem to have pride in leaving behind nothing of value or at least stating that.

If this is really true, is it hard to get up in the morning and face another day without purpose? Or are animal comforts and time consuming activities enough?
To reduce many other people's way and philosophy of living DIFFERENT FROM YOURS to just ANIMAL LEVEL is very insulting.

Millions of people on earth live their 'ordinary, banal' life going about their everyday life's activities and duties, making a living, taking care of their families, helping their neighbors, raising kids, paying their taxes, obeying the laws etc. They ALL contribute to their society and function as responsible human beings.

Good for you and similar high minded folks if you want to continue to strive, to excel, to set lofty goals well in your retirement years. For the majority of us who had worked hard all their life, we have earned more than enough for our rights of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". I find it's hard to understand your constantly expressed need to feel sorry for or to 'belittle' others whose life modus operandi being different from yours!! Does it make you feel more superior? It sounds like insecurity to me! Why not just live and let live AND have some respects for others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM
 
7,958 posts, read 5,060,903 times
Reputation: 13630
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
My question is why does there need to be any accomplishment at all?
A fair question. We're all driven by different impulses and conceptions of what constitutes a life that justifies our intake of calories and oxygen, first during the course of our actual living, and second after that process has inevitably concluded. As I mentioned in me previous post, my vanities are such that I'd regard my struggles as a failure, until I have my own Wikipedia page, complete with copious links and profuse details. But then again, I have no children, and my surrogate "children" are these supposed professional accomplishments over which I cluck so incessantly.

We have compared so far the making of demonstrable personal achievements, vs. leaving a legacy of well-behaved offspring, or say a contribution to the community, as a volunteer or teacher or whatnot. There is yet another question: do either of the above things "matter", or any other accomplishment matter... or on the contrary, are we mere meat-machines, whose "purpose" is merely to consume and to maximize staying alive, who have no objective accountability or responsibility? This is actually a serious question; a self-serving and fatuous answer is easy, but the ultimate answer (if there is one) eludes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM
 
6,314 posts, read 4,762,537 times
Reputation: 12963
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
You are generous to a fault if you think each of us is rational.

Anthropocentricity, encourages the point of view that humans have some sort of objective purpose and will leave some sort of lasting legacy.

Sadly, I don't see many who strive for a rational life. A handful of philosophers made some progress towards rationality a couple of thousand years ago. It seems mankind has not progressed much in that direction since then.


Personally I find it hard to be anthropocentric when I look at the vastness of the known universe. On the other hand I have no ability to shape mankind's position in the universe. I only have my thoughts and actions to be concerned with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Carmichael
7 posts, read 3,833 times
Reputation: 20
To inspire people. I write books, teach classes, and try to always be a positive force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 10:26 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,524,402 times
Reputation: 29082
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
My question is why does there need to be any accomplishment at all?
There doesn't! However, it can be comforting and pleasing when there is, at least for some of us. Perhaps it's simply egocentrism. Having been raised to believe I was stupid (an oft used word) and next to worthless I think I can be forgiven if I take a small sense of pride in what I see as some minor accomplishments. One - raising children reasonably well - was what I simply saw as my job as a parent. The others required a bit of a skill set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 AM
 
6,314 posts, read 4,762,537 times
Reputation: 12963
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
jrkliny,

IMO, you should try a bit harder in not sounding haughty, superior and condescending as expressed in your previous statements

.................
I can only wonder why you are even interested in making comments on this thread: "I just live and have neither pondered nor defined the purpose of my life. Maybe I should ask my mother since she gave birth to me".


I suspect this thread might be of more interest to those who are interested in their purpose in life and what they leave behind. Far be it from me to try to convince you that your life has some meaning and purpose. You have already made your choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 10:37 AM
 
676 posts, read 335,648 times
Reputation: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
No, there is no "need" for you to accomplish anything. Who would impose any such need?
Do you even need to live? What difference does your life make to anyone else except for children if you have them?
So you are equating living with accomplishing? I'm not sure I understand your point.

What difference does my life make to anyone other than my children? Well ... it probably makes a difference to my husband and sister. But, I fail to see why that matters to anyone but me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 10:42 AM
 
676 posts, read 335,648 times
Reputation: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A fair question. We're all driven by different impulses and conceptions of what constitutes a life that justifies our intake of calories and oxygen, first during the course of our actual living, and second after that process has inevitably concluded. As I mentioned in me previous post, my vanities are such that I'd regard my struggles as a failure, until I have my own Wikipedia page, complete with copious links and profuse details. But then again, I have no children, and my surrogate "children" are these supposed professional accomplishments over which I cluck so incessantly.

We have compared so far the making of demonstrable personal achievements, vs. leaving a legacy of well-behaved offspring, or say a contribution to the community, as a volunteer or teacher or whatnot. There is yet another question: do either of the above things "matter", or any other accomplishment matter... or on the contrary, are we mere meat-machines, whose "purpose" is merely to consume and to maximize staying alive, who have no objective accountability or responsibility? This is actually a serious question; a self-serving and fatuous answer is easy, but the ultimate answer (if there is one) eludes me.
We are not all driven in this particular way, but I will concede that many are.

Allow me to answer that then ..... no objective purpose whatsoever. Not even staying alive. We are simply another animal on the planet that happens to be able to contemplate it's existence. This contemplation has led to some god awful egomania.

Subjective purpose ... yes. Objective purpose .... no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top