U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:12 AM

1,067 posts, read 631,673 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 06:41 AM

676 posts, read 333,329 times
I think the best way to deal with getting old is to embrace it. So now when I get up off the couch and my hips have both seized up because I played an hour of squash that evening, and my 25 year old daughter asks what's wrong, I say 'I'm old and decrepit.'

What's wrong with that? If it's not O.K. to embrace old age, then the message is that it is bad to be old and good to be young. I think the more we fight something .... the more difficult it is to deal with.

I'm not saying give up .... I'm saying accept what you can't change and change what you can .... you know, like the serenity prayer, but without all the religious stuff.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:50 AM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Well, I realize I didn't phrase my initial post very well. It being such common knowledge that people age, wear out, and die, why do some feel compelled to mention it to those who turn up with some common ailment, and are over 50?

Why mention how it is only going to get worse with age?

Why not simply say, "I am sorry; hope you feel better soon"?

Not just asking for myself. It seems to be a common thing to say to others, yet it's not news, isn't comforting, and I wouldn't think to say it unless somebody hurt themselves doing something crazy reckless, or was a constant complainer who talked about little else.

Is there a friendly aspect to these "reminders" that I am too dense to see?
Misery loves company?

Old 02-21-2017, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,042 times
There are 2 kinds of queries: the polite one that wants a " Fine, how're you doing?" kind of reply and the kind that really wants to know how your doing. Learn to recognize the difference. People who really want to know will show concern for your ailments.

When people segue into the perils of aging, it may be because they are uncomfortable with discussing weaknesses. If they are also over 50, they may be "keeping it to themselves" as other posters suggested and don't want to discuss injuries or frailties.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:22 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,067,677 times
Old people are lucky, many people don't live long enough to get old.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:50 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,807,403 times
I love my life. I have all the life experiences and maturity and wisdom of a 53 year old, but physically I perceive myself to be 25. Since my former days as a competitive collegiate power lifter, I have continued to train. Its keeps me young and strong!.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,749 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Keep your aches and pains to yourself. Don't talk about them. Be optimistic and upbeat.

Takes years off, really.
I agree, in fact even at 64 I get tired of hearing so many details about the ailments of various family and friends every time I talk to them. It seems like many people, even in their 50s just love to compare their health issues, number of medications, and most recent diagnosis. I suppose since I'm still working and many of these people are not, they don't have any interesting work experiences to talk about, but I have promised myself that when I do retire I will still not burden others with my illnesses, aches and pains.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:40 AM

26,586 posts, read 52,247,863 times
I guess it is a mixed bag...

There are those that should be complaining and soldier on and those that love to complain.

It has an effect either way.

If you are around a lot of complainers it changes things... just like being around a lot of active positive people has the opposite effect.

I find myself around more people with Alzheimer/Dementia and they don't complain but I find myself wanting to complain/vent.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:04 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,463,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Betty Davis said it best: Getting old isn't for sissies.
Speaking of Betty Davis, think of how many alive now don't have idea-one of who she was. Those of us who do are likely old.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,515,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
I love my life. I have all the life experiences and maturity and wisdom of a 53 year old, but physically I perceive myself to be 25. Since my former days as a competitive collegiate power lifter, I have continued to train. Its keeps me young and strong!.
You are only 53

I could have posted the same at the young age of 53 but now that I am 71 and still working out daily I can tell you it is a whole lot tougher the workout at 71 than it was at 53.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement