U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:44 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,517,388 times

Advertisements

I once worked in a clinic where a 20-something co-worker asked me if I ''knew any hippies in the '60s?'' At that time in 2000, I was 45 and she thought I was ''old''.
Right about that same time our niece and her husband toured the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. I asked them if they enjoyed their experience and they replied, ''Not really. We didn't know who any of the musicians were.''
Damn, can you imagine that?! Glad I am ''old'' in that case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 03:18 AM

12,788 posts, read 14,120,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I once worked in a clinic where a 20-something co-worker asked me if I ''knew any hippies in the '60s?'' At that time in 2000, I was 45 and she thought I was ''old''.
Right about that same time our niece and her husband toured the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. I asked them if they enjoyed their experience and they replied, ''Not really. We didn't know who any of the musicians were.''

I am often surprised how many people talk about being young again. While I would certainly like the good health and vigor of youth, I would not want to give up my experiences of getting to where I am. Getting old has been fun, dangerous, wretched, joyful and at this point seems thoroughly wonderful.

And I hear Adele, whinging out those pathetic songs...and I wonder, where is Big Maybelle or Mama Thornton!

Old 02-22-2017, 03:58 AM

5,432 posts, read 3,464,353 times
I would give anything to live another whole life time again.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:07 AM

4,871 posts, read 4,979,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I would give anything to live another whole life time again.
I hear you.

I usually joke that I wish my brain could be transplanted into a healthy 23 year old body.

If I knew then what I know now....

Old 02-22-2017, 04:22 AM

5,432 posts, read 3,464,353 times
I'm not speaking in terms of having regrets or having knowledge - I just mean that I love life so much that I would love to have another whole life time to live.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:09 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,193,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Easy to say when you are not that age.
Actually my dad tells me at least weekly, "I'm ready to go, but my body won't cooperate."

Old 02-22-2017, 07:37 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,704,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am often surprised how many people talk about being young again. While I would certainly like the good health and vigor of youth, I would not want to give up my experiences of getting to where I am. Getting old has been fun, dangerous, wretched, joyful and at this point seems thoroughly wonderful.

And I hear Adele, whinging out those pathetic songs...and I wonder, where is Big Maybelle or Mama Thornton!
More reps for you. Especially the Adele part.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 AM

12,788 posts, read 14,120,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'm not speaking in terms of having regrets or having knowledge - I just mean that I love life so much that I would love to have another whole life time to live.
This I understand.

I'd rather like a sneaky compromise: To keep all the experience and memories up to this point, but to stop aging for, say, fifty years.....and then do the rest of my downhill to the grave.

But, to be brutally honest and human, if I had gotten that wish, I'd probably want yet another extension after those fifty years. Much of life, especially the natural world, is so wonderful, but maybe the knowledge (however grudging it might be) that we cannot hold onto it is part of the awe and joy.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:47 AM

890 posts, read 679,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post

You would have drawn a laugh if you had replied to the hippie question by saying no you didn't but Abraham Lincoln was the best person you ever met.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:33 AM

3,665 posts, read 2,820,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
To a point - my dad is 92, my aunt is 91, both in assisted living and literally waiting for death. Personally I would like to think at some point after reaching say 85, I could count on someone putting a bullet in my head while I sleep.
That's not going to happen. You need to do it yourself. Its really not fair to put that karma on someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement